KiteLife Forum

New to quads is this kite a place to start?

freepistol

https://www.prokitesusa.com/revolution-exp-kite-with-reflex-blue/

I have never flown Quad Kites but I do have some experience with both rigid and parafoil type two  line kites.  Is the kite in the link above a good place to start or should I just bite the bullet and buy the more expensive ones.  I am not wedded to any one particular brand or vendor, but the folks at Pro Kites were kind enough to talk with me.  I understand Revolution Kites are widely used and known .

Thanks,

DLB

mi honest opinion...i do not like this reflex technologies but yes ,is a good start with a small problem. what is happening IF you like quad kites? EXP is an entry level kite and almost for sure you will need another kite more advanced so...i will say go for a 1.5  any color choice you like from here      http://www.kiteconnection.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi      difference in price is small and 1.5 is a more advanced sail. also keep in mind the media of wind speed on your area. if media is higher then 7 (and seams to be) i will go with a mid vent. That will cut the struggle you will have with pull, frustration of not controlling the kite and not the last breaking spars on hard crashes.

Another thing i will suggest you. Before to buy is to  try to met a Revolution flyer from your area. under supervise and with the best tips that person will let you try one of the kites and you will feel where you stand and how much you like. on that moment will not be just "suggestions" to buy  will be an educated choice and for sure more smart spend of money.

sounds good ?

• Like 1

One of the common misconceptions is that a single kite satisfies all wind ranges. Many try flying the "wrong" sail in winds not suitable for it. Before buying I would suggest, if any way possible, try to meet up with others and get some of their thoughts on what might be appropriate for your area. 

Throw the stated wind ranges printed on company brochures out the window. Many overstate both the low end and top end of a sail's range. Will it fly in those conditions - depends on the skill of the flier. Most definitely the top end is almost always exaggerated. The question is" can I fly?" or "should I fly?". Once a sail gets stretched out, there is no returning to how it once was.

• Like 3

As a beginner, can’t really go wrong with any popular quad, they are mainly divided by cost and material quality at that level - main items for any new flyer are making sure you have leaders and equal length lines (links for both below).

https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5530-pigtails-tuning-your-rev-with-knotted-leaders/

==

Also, LOTS of free tutorials here... ;)

http://learnkites.com

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JWharton said:

It all starts with one, then they become like mushrooms 😂

More like flies on you-know-what!

Seriously, though, get whatever you are inclined to get, with the understanding that if you really enjoy it and get into it on a hobby scale you will eventually have more than (enter number here). You will also need to understand that it is more difficult to learn basic control for quad-line, although your dual-line experience will help a bit. Mastering basic control is something most folks can do in less than 20 hours. It gets better each time out and if you put in the time the rewards are monstrous. I once watched a guy at a kite fest smile for six and a half hours. I had to set up a second kite so I could fly too.

Most of all, have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2

Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge.  I find kite flying to be very relaxing and it brings back many good memories of my father who used to help me build kites, boats, soapbox derbies, etc. He was a mechanical engineer who grew up during the great depression so he always had a way of making what I needed out of what was on hand.  Strangely I turned out to be a music teacher (violin and viola, and school orchestra) I did however raise another mechanical engineer, my son, Staff Engineer at Tesla.  

Thanks To All,

Dwight

DLB

I re-read this topic and just realized no one really answered your question.

Yes, that package of kite, frame, lines and handles is actually a very good starting point at good price. It is a beginner package, but you'll never know the difference between it and a performance kite for quite some time. The quality is excellent. You may eventually branch out if you really get into quads. What keeps the price down is the lack of improvements/design changes that involve more production time and costlier materials. It will fly beautifully, the way Revolution normally do. It's not like starting with a VW and moving up to a Mercedes. It's like starting with a Corvette and moving up to a Ferrari. Well, almost, but you get the idea. It is a full-sized quad sport kite, and not a cheap imitation of one. It's not a Karmann Ghia. Does that make sense to you?

Go to, or contact a kite shop and ask questions if you're not sure. You will most probably want longer lines eventually -- 120 foot -- so you can fly with others.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, makatakam said:

Oh, one more thing. The Reflex function can be bypassed so it can fly just like the standard EXP, so you can experience both and decide if the new technology suits your flying style.

Though technically, they count their new “Reflex” rods as part of that technology (or marketing anyway) - sometimes a bit stiff for performance flying, vs the traditional 1/4” rods. Best to confirm what spars come with the kite (especially in the leading edge), then consult with the forum members for info.

1 hour ago, John Barresi said:

Though technically, they count their new “Reflex” rods as part of that technology (or marketing anyway) - sometimes a bit stiff for performance flying, vs the traditional 1/4” rods. Best to confirm what spars come with the kite (especially in the leading edge), then consult with the forum members for info.

I wasn't aware that the Reflex uprights are stiffer. I only got to play with a Reflex one time two years ago for about 5 minutes. I should have checked it out more closely. Live and learn. I didn't connect with the kite. It didn't want to load up as easily, probably due to the springs and stiffness of the uprights. Now that I know more about it I may give it another try.

Uprights may not be the larger diameter, I definitely don’t claim any expertise on the Reflex line - I think the ideal always, try and connect with other quad flyers, try their stuff (most don’t mind if you ask), different sails and frames (talk shop), then buy what you like flying - it’s like a car, guitar or what have you, comes down to what fits you and will allow you to grow. 🙏🏻

• Like 1