KiteLife Forum

Quadraflex

Ok so I pulled my kites out after 30 years and I can figure out most of them but the quadraflex has the bridles off and I can’t remember how or even if I did have it together when I was flying.

Please see photos to help me do the bridles

IMG_2804.JPGIMG_2805.JPGIMG_2807.JPGIMG_2808.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Sodog, and welcome to the forum. Where are you located? If you're in the Chicago area, I can give you a hand figuring out how to install that bridle.

The bridling should be quite similar to a Rev as far as to which points it attaches. I would be inclined to mount the frame on the back side of the kite, or at least the vertical members in back for some directional stability, like having a keel on each side.

At any rate, treat it well. It's definitely a collectors' item. I'm not saying don't fly it, just don't abuse it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

With the LE rods terminating in the verts, then that would mean the ends of the LE rods must go behind the sail too. Much like the ABS.

Nope, see the hole in the sail? It's unlikely that it would be there if both LE and verts are on the same side of the sail. I've built a couple of quads where the cross-member went through the sail, similar to a Deca. Perhaps it was designed to offer that flexibility for matching the conditions or different flight characteristics. I'd sure like to get my hands on that sail for a few days. Maybe I'll just build one.

Nope, see the hole in the sail? It's unlikely that it would be there if both LE and verts are on the same side of the sail. I've built a couple of quads where the cross-member went through the sail, similar to a Deca. Perhaps it was designed to offer that flexibility for matching the conditions or different flight characteristics. I'd sure like to get my hands on that sail for a few days. Maybe I'll just build one.

I think you are right it went through I’m just not sure what was in front and what was in back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the verticals should be in back. The leading edge out in front will allow the area between the verts to billow some, creating more of an airfoil cross section, and not creating air dams on the horizontal to impede forward or reverse motion. If the verts were in front they create scoops toward the ends that would most probably cause instability.

37 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Makes sense this way! Guess I was influenced by Lam's design on the ABS.....

I'm basing my opinion, and it's only an opinion because I have not found any facts yet to support it, on quad kites I have built. I my experience any time you have a cross member running across the kite it will create air dams above and below it, which can drastically impede motion in either forward or reverse flight or even both.

NEW 020.jpg

This is an extreme example of how much it can affect motion. This is an example, only in the horizontal direction. It nearly refuses to side slide. Yes, it's a quad.

• Like 2