KiteLife Forum

Icarex

riffclown

I would borrow a machine if you can before making the leap. Anyone can see with some patience, but making sure it is your brand of patience would be wise before starting a sewing collection...cause let's face it, it is not just a machine you will end up with. Machine, cutting mats, quilting rulers, rotary cutter and special scissors that will cause you to threaten anyone who uses them for other materials, a light for seeing clearly at the machine, 4 types of tape, storage tub for the sewing stuff, another for kite bits, big paper for templates, a new table when you get kicked off the kitchen counter after a week, and we haven't even started with kite parts.

If looking to buy not every machine has the three step zig-zag stich programmed in, so that is something to look for.

Kite making is fun, but know that the rabbit hole is deep Alice.

With that said....what am I gonna build next....Xtra vent or indoor???

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, ACrop said:

With that said....what am I gonna build next....Xtra vent or indoor???

Yes... those...  For what it's worth, I have a vented in my head at the moment while I'm waiting for materials to arrive.

Well I can get the icarex and fibreglass mesh but having problems finding the Dacron so far , had a look at the price of race rods too good job I was sat down !! , I will admit that all I want at this point is an icarex full and mid vent sails at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

hi  hey  would  either of you  {  riffclown  or acrop } consider making some  kites for other ppl  I E     me     

I have three kids under 9, I am lucky to get my thoughts together to get any project done. Sorry, my current kite list from my own to-do list is at least three years long.

But I am happy to share what I have learned so far.

8 hours ago, kevmort said:

Well I can get the icarex and fibreglass mesh but having problems finding the Dacron so far , had a look at the price of race rods too good job I was sat down !! , I will admit that all I want at this point is an icarex full and mid vent sails at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Goodwinds and others have dacron tape readily available. Google kitemaking supplies. It's not expensive and comes in a variety of widths, usually from 1" to 4".

Second Panel is basted.. Ready to design the center and start sewing..
20180519_193916.thumb.jpg.af232c3a4803ef898c97edd56e627a97.jpg
Very very nice. I think this is my favorite of yours. Didn't you do a red leading edge on a different one? That might be nice on this one. Great color and pattern use.

• Like 2

@kevmort PC31 is a polyester/polycarbonate fabric also trademarked as Icarex.. It's is more water resistant than Nylon and seems to be lighter.. IT's the fabric of choice for high end kites. We refer to it as PC31, Icarex or commonly Poly. http://icarexpolyester.com/

@ACrop They are all PC31 but some are scaps from older runs that may simply be different dye lots. From the front one almost looks black but turns oberjin (eggplant) when backlit. 

Two very similar purples, a lavender, an Eggplant and a purple wine are the pieces I have..

These all came as scrap pieces so I don't know the proper color names.. FWIW, some of these are the much older Icarex that had a rectangular grid instead of the square grid we are more familiar with.

20180520_123955.jpg

20180520_124146.jpg

• Like 3

[mention=8333]kevmort[/mention] PC31 is a polyester/polycarbonate fabric also trademarked as Icarex.. It's is more water resistant than Nylon and seems to be lighter.. IT's the fabric of choice for high end kites. We refer to it as PC31, Icarex or commonly Poly. http://icarexpolyester.com/

[mention=10832]ACrop[/mention] They are all PC31 but some are scaps from older runs that may simply be different dye lots. From the front one almost looks black but turns oberjin (eggplant) when backlit. 
Two very similar purples, a lavender, an Eggplant and a purple wine are the pieces I have..
These all came as scrap pieces so I don't know the proper color names.. FWIW, some of these are the much older Icarex that had a rectangular grid instead of the square grid we are more familiar with.
20180520_123955.thumb.jpg.806e8245d8a58b6439b6e06391d9a96e.jpg
20180520_124146.thumb.jpg.5cf16a340d8234cd3147900416b8205c.jpg
I thought that some of it must be older not made anymore colors. :(. Thanks for the photos.

You are right, you next sail is right up my alley on colors, good thing I am in such right control of my kite aquiring impulses.

10 minutes ago, riffclown said:

I really like the Eggplant color.. looks almost black until you get a little light behind it and glows grape from there.. definitely going to be in some prime accent spots.

Might be interesting to mix it with black. Should get some nice effects when spinning while backlit.