KiteLife Forum

Icarex

riffclown

First Flight of the Dark Sunset Fade Kite.. All in all very pleased with low wind performance.. Winds were hovering between 2-3 MPH with occasional gusts of 5MPH.
[/url]  
She is definitely a beauty, and looks like she is a well mannered kite. So how many quads do you have now?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

On 8/9/2018 at 4:33 PM, riffclown said:

First Flight of the Dark Sunset Fade Kite.. All in all very pleased with low wind performance.. Winds were hovering between 2-3 MPH with occasional gusts of 5MPH.

Had another opportunity to fly it today at Jockey's Ridge.. Sun was out and We were able to get some backlit shots.. Enjoy

• Like 3

First of the Gray Fades is starting to come together..Decided to use Black on LE and Black Edge binding to help frame the lighter center section in the finished sail. Since this is one of my earlier panels prior to me adjusting the pattern, I have to decide if I will leave it higher aspect ratio (i.e. shorter vertically) or add a strip of material to top or bottom to bring it to full 1.5 size... Kite is Black, Charcoal, Silver and White. Hopefully I can fly it this weekend weather permitting.

20180814_204916.jpg

• Like 3

Thank You.. I found a few pinholes where I had trimmed the threads a touch too close and had to repair those.. Test flew it today on 30 ft lines.. Fun Kite, not a perfect kite but still very fun to fly.. no performance issues that I can detect...

More Icarex arrived today.. I was able to get a small amount of both Grape and Plum but no Eggplant. Some of the classic purple shades are nearly impossible to find these days.. Combining those two with a few strips of Eggplant I have left from the scrap bin and some Purple ought to give me a nice gradient fade for a purple kite.

A new Purple Dark Fade and a 5 or 6 color sunset fade are in my head right now.. I'm completely out of seam tape so nothing to cut or mock up yet.. I also plan to add the Midnight Blue Challengemax Poly into another kite like on the original Diamonds kite.. I assume it's because of the smaller ripstop grid, but it refracts the light differently and I should be able to get some shimmer patterns if I do this right.

So a review of the diamond kite...

I meet riffclown at jockeys ridge state park on Saturday. He was willing to drive a hour and a half to meet a fellow flyer! What a great jester. Day started with winds in the zero to 1 mph range. I tryed the smaller b2 size first on 13" handles and 50' lines, found it was too light of wind. But then put the hive on a set of 120' line and 15" handles, and the kite was amazing and the wind picked up to 1 to 2 mph. Riffclown's work is amazing and a tremendous flyer as well. As the day progressed we had the winds pick up and I became more comfortable flying. Yes I know I a guy who could fix the kites but I still am a very careful although the kites are built for a bearing. The added reinforcement at critical places really make a difference. The kite is a little heavier on the lines but saw some amazing glides in the slightest breeze and with time I know I can do the same as well, as I have the proper equipment (kite) to do so. So dont believe by first looks and believes that it's a heavy kite it is not. The kite is constructed to complement the added weight, with the construction of the sail. 

Now when I got back home and washed the kites from the sand, I went over the kites with a fine tooth comb. The build quality is simple amazing! Ranking with some of the best builders out there. I can say this because many that know me say I'm more of a collector then flyer these days and I'm always looking at build quality and construction for new ideas. The diamonds all come to a point the rows are straight and it is symmetrical from side to side if asked to be constructed that way very nicely...

I can not say enough nice things about this kite and riffclown. If you get the chance to fly one you won't be disappointed 

Hope I did ok for my first review, anyone have any questions please ask! 

Edited by atbflyer
Autocorrect on cell phone, sorry for confusion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...