KiteLife Forum

Prizm Tensor?

xjclassic

Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten into kiting.  More specifically power kiting.  It all started with buying the kid a Prism Bora 5 while on vacation earlier this year.  I had played around with two line stunt kites years ago and still own a couple but they are in a different state in a storage unit.  I ended up ordering myself a couple foils a couple months ago and am now addicted.  Started out with a Snapshot 1.2 and a Synapse 170.  Flew those a little and ordered a Tantrum 250 immediately.  Order a Peter Lynn Hype in 1.9 and 2.6 because I was reading about the quality.  I have now purchased 6 foils in two months.  Really caught the bug when I went to the coast of Lake Erie and after flying foils about 3 times prior I attempted the Tantrum for the first time.  Winds were 15-20mph with higher gust and that was such a rush.    After telling my wife someone else must have been flying kites earlier because of the foot drag marks in the sand.  She then tells me those were my drag marks.  I'm 255lbs and  I didn't even notice the kite pulling me but new it was really tugging.  The first thing out of my mouth was I want a bigger one.

Now to my Tensor question.  I have found an unreal deal for a Tensor 3.1 and 5.0.  The average wind near where I live is very high (15-25 steady winds frequently) and the med sized foils I currently own can really give me a workout.  I know the Tensor is gonna produce more power and was wondering if the 5.0 would just be to much to play with at my skill level.  What is your opinion?  Leaning towards the 3.1. 

The foils you mention are all Sport size except for the Tensors. Those are power size meaning actual square meters. in 15-20mph winds a proper 2M foil (like a Toxic or Hornet) will be a big handful.

Let me reference you to this thread which gives you a lot of information about both..

Given your stated wind, unless you plan on buggying, the 3.1 would be your better option.. it's much harder to find the right wind to fly the big foils static.

• Like 2

Thank you for the response.  I will read over the link you provided.  We don't really have the room to buggy in Ohio.  Land Boarding or kite surfing is possible.  My initial thought was 3.1.  Considering I can get the kite for $250 I'm probably just going to order it.

I also like the idea of being able  fly it in both four line or with the bar setup.

Edit;  I actually read through some of that thread at an earlier date.  Thank you again. 

The only thing I know about big foils is that they have planted me on my face a couple of times, so I'll let the guys with more experience fill you in on what you need to know.

I just dropped in to say hi and welcome to the forum.

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Just my opinion here.  I have all three of the Tensors.  If I were to buy again I would start with the 3.1 & maybe that would be the only one I would keep.  You will have plenty to deal with flying the 3.1.  Also, being a smaller sail than the others, it turns more easily than the larger ones.  Do not try jumping with the 3.1 as it will lift you then let you down hard.  Do not park the kite at the zenith.  A gust can happen at any time.  Stay safe.  Forget the bar, fly with the handles & use the kite killers.  You will have much more control with the handles.  I hot launched a big foil one time in some changing conditions.  The kite went up, the wind changed directions & I was being pulled straight toward my vehicle.  Kite killers saved me for sure.  I think Riff covers all this stuff in his excellent post. But do enjoy whatever your choice as the big foils are great fun.

SHBKF

• Like 1

Got a decent deal on a 8 meter power kite. Want to try to buggy and ski someday. Way to much for me to start so kites gone. I'll find some experienced people to learn from hands on before I ever do that again.Welcome and keep us posted.

I have a tensor 4.2 for sale if you decide to step into a little more power. Learn in winds that are 2-4 mph in a large field. Butt scootin’ is learning, waxy cardboard on a newly mowed field or snow saucers are other learning options even on smaller foils. A 2.2 will pull you in a windy day versus lift you like other kites. Play safe and learn with someone if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

6 hours ago, SHBKF said:

Just my opinion here.  I have all three of the Tensors.  If I were to buy again I would start with the 3.1 & maybe that would be the only one I would keep.  You will have plenty to deal with flying the 3.1.  Also, being a smaller sail than the others, it turns more easily than the larger ones.  Do not try jumping with the 3.1 as it will lift you then let you down hard.  Do not park the kite at the zenith.  A gust can happen at any time.  Stay safe.  Forget the bar, fly with the handles & use the kite killers.  You will have much more control with the handles.  I hot launched a big foil one time in some changing conditions.  The kite went up, the wind changed directions & I was being pulled straight toward my vehicle.  Kite killers saved me for sure.  I think Riff covers all this stuff in his excellent post. But do enjoy whatever your choice as the big foils are great fun.

SHBKF

The Tensor 3.1 should be here Wednesday.  I can't wait to get it in the air.  Hopefully this weekend I get a day with less than 15mph winds to try it out. Thanks for the input guys.

Looking forward to becoming more involved with the community here.

• Like 1

Finally had a chance to get the Tensor in the air.  All I can say is wow.  I flew it in winds between 7-11 mph with a few higher gusts.  The 3.1 was definitely the right choice.  After about 30 minutes is was huffin and puffin and arms where getting tired.  This thing is a work out.  Cant wait to try and fly it in its four ling configuration.

• Like 2