KiteLife Forum

Welcome LeeBB

Hello @LeeBB,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Guest LeeBB

Hello Everybody.  My name Is Lee, I’m In South Carolina.  I’m 42 years young and I have a beautiful Family,  A young Daughter, Wife And Dog, We have recently started flying kites , and My Daughter loves these kites.  We bought a cheap plastic kite from the mart and we’ll, you could probably guess it was a waist of money, not much tho just 5 dollars.  My Baby Girl just giggles at me running around the yard with a butterfly chasing behind me trying to get this butterfly flying for her.  It was a fail, we had plenty of wind, The kite leading edge was just way to forward it seemed to me.  So Now she just loves playing with it in the house no.  I have researched the web over to try and find a forum that I could join so that we could have someone to gain knowledge from and share interest.  So here I am , this community looks amazing and seems to have a wealth of proven knowledge and the people to back it up.  I’m here to tell you all that I bought our first real kite on Thursday afternoon from Into the wind ITW .  I spoke with all those guys in the shop and they was so very helpful and very knowledgeable and friendly 👊. I told them I wanted the best dual line kite I could afford,  I really like the ITW  Kymera On There web site.  Some background on what I’ve Flown, Well I’m a stunt RC Pilot, I can hover a huge gas engine Ultra300 just inches from the ground and flip and flop and slide that plane all around me.  So , I wanted the most kite I could afford and the best kite to start off with, I did the same when I started flying RC 22 years ago, I bought the best right off the get go.  So I’m now the proud owner of a RTF KYMERA, It’s in the road now headed this way courtesy UPS.  Now I want something Nice for my daughter, something single line and ez to fly, No dual line for her now, she’s just 3.5 yo , So what would you guys recommend For Her to Fly, She’s 35 lbs and 42 inches tall. Thanks So much For Any and All the information, Also I’ll be very very careful starting with small steps with the Kymera. I don’t have any Pictures Of the Kite other than these  ones , I hope it’s ok showing y’all these pictures and hope there not copyright.  Any information would be appreciated about the right Kite for My Princess, Thanks

979827B9-19A8-4A8E-B130-C7DA444D9A9D.jpeg

6182F888-CFB8-403F-92CA-41A3529708B5.jpeg

Guest LeeBB
10 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Hello @LeeBB,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Thanks For This welcome, I see its automatic but hey , I’ll appreciate that .  Thanks John 💨

Hi, Lee, and welcome to the forum. You certainly landed in the right place. (Pun intended)

The Kymera is an intermediate to advanced kite because of its tricking capability, like a knife edge on your Ultra300, but it will fly like a high-wing floater for the beginner with the proper adjustment. John Barresi, the guy who owns and runs this forum, is the one who designed that kite, so you're definitely in the right place. I'm more of a quad-line guy so I'll let John and the other, more experienced, flyers guide you through most of the beginning steps. You will also need a stake to anchor the kite and lines when you are not actively flying. A long cheap screwdriver will do. The most important thing to remember is when you are about to crash, (it's not as bad as an RC crash), to give to the kite. Move your hands, arms and body forward briskly to lessen the force of impact. Most duals can take a few hits and are usually designed so that the spine will disengage from the sail in the event of hard impact, like rubber band mount wings on some beginner floaters.

As far as a kite for your daughter goes, I recommend pretty much any single line delta in the 3-foot span and under range. Stay away from anything with a lot of pull. If you spend 25 - 30 dollars on it you'll have a keeper. There are so many different single line kites that it boggles the mind and choosing one over another is determined pretty much by whatever moves you.

Remember, the main reason to fly is having fun. Smile, and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2

Guest LeeBB

Hello , Thank You For The information Maka,  I’m glad that I have a great kite that will allow me to progress as fast as Possible, Main thing was I wanted a quality kite to start with, That’s Why I choose the Kymera, I was aware that John Designed this Kite and that’s exactly why I choose it.  I wanted a revolution, but For now This dual will be perfect, Definitely will help build some basic skills, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be tricking this kite at first, I’m doing like you say , Taking it slow and Just overall I’m going to fly this kite around in a controlled manner for now.  THE Kite For My Princess will need to also double the attention for my wife after the baby girl starts to loose interest, So all in all hopefully it will spark some interest with My Wife , I dunno.  Thank you for taking time and touching base with Me, That’s very nice of you to help.  Thanks again 

Get out to some kite fests. There will be plenty up and down the East Coast this year. Talk to the flyers. They, in many cases, will offer their kites for you to try. Don't be bashful. OPK (other people's kites) is a great way to gain some idea of what you may want in the future. Note: if you try a Rev or other quad-line there's a good chance you will get hooked on it. There is so much a quad can do that other types can't, and if you watch what an experienced flyer can do with one, you will be amazed.

Watch this: 

or this: 

Guest LeeBB

Yes absolutely, I’ll definitely try and find some kite events happening.  I called Hilton Head chamber of commerce yesterday, I asked about there kite regulations, there not kite friendly at all.  Absolutely No DLK or QLK PERIOD.  Some old lady in her 90 was startled by a sport kite and fell and broke her hip in several places, this lady was on the Board Of director for the city of Hilton Head, She made the kites illegal afterwards.  So that was a real bummer to discover.  I do have other places that do allow the fun kites, Charleston, Savannah, etc.  hopefully One day I’ll be able to meet some kite folks.  Thanks again Brother 

Guest LeeBB
18 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Get out to some kite fests. There will be plenty up and down the East Coast this year. Talk to the flyers. They, in many cases, will offer their kites for you to try. Don't be bashful. OPK (other people's kites) is a great way to gain some idea of what you may want in the future. Note: if you try a Rev or other quad-line there's a good chance you will get hooked on it. There is so much a quad can do that other types can't, and if you watch what an experienced flyer can do with one, you will be amazed.

Watch this: 

or this: 

This Is The Video Craziest and funniest, This Is the Video That Captured all my Family attention, This is the Video that ultimate Got Me started into wanting a kite.  It’s so amazing, I can’t imagine how much fun these kites must Be.  Thanks For the Videos  

I think it's fantastic that you're starting with a top notch kite. I got a ITW Hydra and it was  hard to choose between that and the Kymera. When starting out I took the advice of a lot of experienced fliers. Get the best you can and grow into it.Started on a Premier Widow ng and never regretted it. Hope you have more patience then me learning the basics. Started trying to trick on day 1 and got the broken parts to show for it. I started researching kites last Oct. and the fascination continues to grow. Staying focused on duels but it's difficult. Those quad  fliers are amazing.  Then there are the gliders and so on. When you break your kite for the 1st time completely freak out, get over it, get on the forum and you will get all the help you need to fix it. As much as it sucks breaking things it has made me a better flier. Doesn't happen  as often now but even the best have to do a repair now and then. Be cheaper than repairing your RC. With the RC experience  you have these kite repairs will  be a piece of cake for you. Welcome. You and yours are going to have a blast.

• Like 1

Guest LeeBB

Thanks So much For The Reply Breezin 👊. I’m so excited about the Kymera Getting To me Soon.  I’m glad that you also believe like I do, Fly the best, don’t mess with the rest attitude.  I just always figured to get what you want and will learn as I go, better to start with a Porsche than the pinto.  All in all I’m going to learn the basics first, simple launches and landings, Simple right hand and left hand turns, just flying static overhead, doing some patterns,  you know the simple things first.  I’ve never had a problem learning how to do new things that require hand eye coordination.  I’m so excited to feel the kite sensation and enjoying a new Fun Filled Hobby with My family now that I have the time.

Kite has a pretty nice wind range. Try going out in at least 6 mph and not flying in +12 to start. The higher winds the more likely you'll break something. The lower winds will frustrate which also leads to damage. As you get better try popping the kite up and letting it come back down in very low winds. Taught me a lot. Then I got a SUL and a UL.

Guest LeeBB
1 minute ago, Breezin said:

Kite has a pretty nice wind range. Try going out in at least 6 mph and not flying in +12 to start. The higher winds the more likely you'll break something. The lower winds will frustrate which also leads to damage. As you get better try popping the kite up and letting it come back down in very low winds. Taught me a lot. Then I got a SUL and a UL.

Thanks So much for the valuable advice Sir.  I’ll take this advice, Good stuff.  So My Kymera is a Good Standard wind Kite?  I’ll also start looking for Low wind and a strong wind dual. What would be the best ul or sul, also If I get a low wind Kite, With My Kymera will I Then have most wind conditions covered with the two kites?  Thanks again

I got a Prism Zephyr going up for sale later today. Its classified as a UL.Some disagreement as a lot of people think it's a light standard.I have tricked it pretty well in 2 and 3 mph winds. Rated to 18 mph but over 10 I'm flying something else.I also have a Sky Burner SUL Pro Dancer.Not very tricky but a very smooth precise flyer.Pricey. For a high wind vented kite the Flying wings Silver Fox vented seems like a good deal. The HQ Delta Hawk is a extreme high wind kite on the cheap. Rated to 48 mph and people have flown it in more. More of a speed kite than trick kite. I have a Lam Houc Mind Trick vented that I fly into the low 30 range. Gets hard to trick above 25 as I'm not very good yet. 3 hours on it yesterday till winds went over 30. Great day and I didn't break anything.Have a lower spreader for lower and high winds. Kite flies real well in 6.Lams kites have the widest wind range that Iv'e read about.Bought another of his kites Wednesday. The Tekken DOA SUL(reason for the Z leaving). Expensive kites but I think well worth the money. Your Kymera is one of the best standards out there. Bang for the buck the sale price for the Hydra or Kymera would have to be the best new kite buys right now. Research the Prism 4D. Lot of peoples 1st SUL. Just about got one myself.The more research you do the funner it becomes. Kites will accumulate  :devil:.

Guest LeeBB

Thanks so much for this great information. The prism Zephyr I’ve read a lot about, the sky hawk also I’ve done some research on as well.  I do believe I’m going to pick up a Skyhawk very soon.  As far as sul, the ones you mentioned I’ll look them up, I’m not rich, but I’m not broke either, so any of the kites mentioned should be affordable unless there in the 1000’s   I’m not opposed to spending money on my new hobby, I do believe it’s going to be much much more less expensive to fly kites than my RC stuff.  Another reason for getting into kites is so When the wind is just to much for my Acrobatic Planes I’ll have something to fly around.  Thanks again, I’m researching now those kites mentioned.  Thanks 

I moved up the food chain pretty quick. Did my research and have not gotten a poor kite yet cross my fingers. The best all around most rewarding  kite I've flown is the Sky Burner Widow Maker Pro. Hopefully they'll start making them again. I'd try to describe it to you but I'd fail.You just have to fly one . If you can find one I'd say don't hesitate just get it. 

Guest LeeBB

Thanks So Much Maka, Yes Absolutely I’m Hunting, My Bow Quivers are Full , But My Kite Quiver, that Ill call My  Canvas,  Is BLANK Empty.  I’m Hunting The Top Of The Line Kites Down Trying To , But I have No Idea What To buy, This is the fun part about starting a new Hobby for Me. All the help needed pointing me to the Custom Pieces is All I Need, Like Builders, Kite Names , etc.  For Now I’m Only really interested In The DLK.  They Just Seem Like My Style.  Thanks For any and all recommendations.  

Ps. I know I made a Great decision On Buying My First Kite The Kymera!!

Guest LeeBB
8 hours ago, makatakam said:

Hi, Lee, and welcome to the forum. You certainly landed in the right place. (Pun intended)

The Kymera is an intermediate to advanced kite because of its tricking capability, like a knife edge on your Ultra300, but it will fly like a high-wing floater for the beginner with the proper adjustment. John Barresi, the guy who owns and runs this forum, is the one who designed that kite, so you're definitely in the right place. I'm more of a quad-line guy so I'll let John and the other, more experienced, flyers guide you through most of the beginning steps. You will also need a stake to anchor the kite and lines when you are not actively flying. A long cheap screwdriver will do. The most important thing to remember is when you are about to crash, (it's not as bad as an RC crash), to give to the kite. Move your hands, arms and body forward briskly to lessen the force of impact. Most duals can take a few hits and are usually designed so that the spine will disengage from the sail in the event of hard impact, like rubber band mount wings on some beginner floaters.

As far as a kite for your daughter goes, I recommend pretty much any single line delta in the 3-foot span and under range. Stay away from anything with a lot of pull. If you spend 25 - 30 dollars on it you'll have a keeper. There are so many different single line kites that it boggles the mind and choosing one over another is determined pretty much by whatever moves you.

Remember, the main reason to fly is having fun. Smile, and don't forget to breathe.

///////The Kymera is an intermediate to advanced kite because of its tricking capability, like a knife edge on your Ultra300, but it will fly like a high-wing floater for the beginner with the proper adjustment.//////

Can You explain the type adjustment I would want to start with from factory settings.  My lines are 90# 75ft or 85ft can’t remember what they told Me on the length.  I’ve read about nose back or towards for type wind, But Ive also read once set for my flying enjoyment you typically don’t touch attack angle anymore?  Any Knowledge would be greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, LeeBB said:

I’ve read about nose back or towards for type wind,...

Yes, you can adjust the nose for different wind speeds. I believe it's nose forward in lighter winds, nose back in stronger winds. I would get to know the kite at the factory setting. After that, you can change the settings, that way you'll notice the difference in how the kite flies, for example, one setting might give you oversteer at certain wind speeds, or it might be easier to do tricks at a different setting. Once you got the basics down, then you can experiment and really get to know the kite.  

1 hour ago, LeeBB said:

... But Ive also read once set for my flying enjoyment you typically don’t touch attack angle anymore? 

That is because many people change kites to match wind speed instead of adjusting a kite. 

On 5/17/2018 at 11:08 AM, LeeBB said:

So what would you guys recommend For Her to Fly,

A Hata, by Into The Wind.  Let out about 40-100 feet of line, stake it to the ground with a stake appropriate for the ground conditions. It doesn't need to be a big stake, it has little pull. This way if she lets go, it won't fly off. With the tail on, it flies very well and dances a bit. Tug the line and the kite will fly the direction it is pointing. Take off the tail(it's Velcro'ed on) and the kite is wilder and flies more like a fighter kite. 

Guest LeeBB
9 minutes ago, Kansas Flier said:

Yes, you can adjust the nose for different wind speeds. I believe it's nose forward in lighter winds, nose back in stronger winds. I would get to know the kite at the factory setting. After that, you can change the settings, that way you'll notice the difference in how the kite flies, for example, one setting might give you oversteer at certain wind speeds, or it might be easier to do tricks at a different setting. Once you got the basics down, then you can experiment and really get to know the kite.  

That is because many people change kites to match wind speed instead of adjusting a kite. 

A Hata, by Into The Wind.  Let out about 40-100 feet of line, stake it to the ground with a stake appropriate for the ground conditions. It doesn't need to be a big stake, it has little pull. This way if she lets go, it won't fly off. With the tail on, it flies very well and dances a bit. Tug the line and the kite will fly the direction it is pointing. Take off the tail(it's Velcro'ed on) and the kite is wilder and flies more like a fighter kite. 

Kansas Flyer, Thank You So Much For The much needed valuable information you shared.  Everything you said makes perfect sense to me, I especially like the part about forget bridle adjustments just grab the right kite, NICE EXACTLY what I needed to hear.  Thank you for the recommended kite for My Daughter! Thanks so much!  Cheers 

The GWTW forum is a great place. Got my Widow ng never flown, Widow Maker Pro never flown,  new  Zephyr (info from a member) and Tekken from there. There was a Benson Superfly that sold today I think. Not posted sold yet. Was pretty sure a Benson was going to be my next kite until the Tekken showed up. If the Lam and Benson would have been for sale at the same time I still would have got the Tekken. It's a upgrade. The Benson would be another real nice standard. 

Guest LeeBB

I looked Up that Tekken kite, It Looks Amazing!  Thanks For All the Great Suggested Breezin, I appreciate That.  Can you believe I won A very Nice High Wind Kite Today.  So greatly appreciate That One.  My Karma Will Be Something Very Exciting For Some I Hope.  

I’m thinking About Taking the family to Willwoods this Next Weekend!  Really Excited, But Not Sure Yet

I would love to get to a festival. No kite flyers but me around here. I had a micron but it was part of the sell off for the Widow Maker. Not very wealthy so being a collector is out of my league. Micron is small and really quick on the 50' lines. Winds above 15 I flew it on 82' or 100' lines.Very tough and lots of fun. Hard to launch for me in winds above 20 but it is doable. It will trick just really fast. 20 plus gets the shakes but it never broke. Haven't replaced it cause after I get some better skills I'm going to learn to build my own kites. Already got most of a frame, sail material, sewing machine and thread. Now I need to know how to sew LOL.

• Like 1