KiteLife Forum

Welcome LeeBB

Guest LeeBB

Funny You mention Making Your Own, My Wife was Just talking About Trying that as well.  Hey I have a question.  I shoot a lot of Bow and Arrows Competitions, I’ve won about everything There is to win , state Championships, Worlds Championship placed 3rd , etc. the arrow we use are made of Carbon Fiber, We have every size you can imagine, even double tapering ends, etc.  I have not gotten My hands on My Kymera Yet, But My question is , do you know if the shafts the spines, leading Edge spin etc are made the same.  If yes Then I’ve been building My own raw shafts since I was 11 then it was aluminum xx75 Easton , Now Carbon, So hopefully this transitions over !! 👌 also I seem to think I saw A Knock On the End Of The Kymera, This is one of the  reasons for buying the  Kymera.

They all have nocks to tension the sail. Your arrow shafts I think would be heavier. Carbon fiber in different configurations are what is used.Fiber glass in stunts has gone away for the most part. In the upper end kites Sky shark and Dynamic tubes are most common. Paul Debakker the guy who designed the Hydra is working on new tubes. He works at Good Winds. Jon T at Kites and Fun Things is the man for Sky Shark tubes. OSK I think has Crystal tubes made to their specs. Doubt they'll share their newest secrets but all 3 would probably answer a lot of your questions. Jon T made my Pro Dancer and framed my Widow Maker. He seems to prefer the stiffer frame. He does most if not all of the Premier stunt kite designs. Lam uses softer connections and mostly Dynamic tubes because he likes more  flex. The Hydra has Dynamic but the stiffer connections. Had a Jon T designed Addiction that was very flexible. Kite is a absolute blast to fly. My grand kids have one. I'll be getting another before the year is out. I know very little about  tube construction but there are quite a few here who will educate both of us :). Very cool about the bow and arrow thing. I haven't competed in shooting sports since I was a kid. My dad still does at 77. Still drag races too.He's been a firearms instructor for a long time. He took 1st in the Idaho state obstacle shooting range course when he was 72. One of his lifelong buddies who was 69 took 3rd. Those old farts shocked the heck out of a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds. Were slower on their feet but better shots.

Much of the carbon fiber industry for kiting grew from the archery arena. For instance, the P2X and P4x rods on discount are camo pattern.. Doesn't take much to make that connection.. The key point if you are going to start in the framing task is to ensure you are starting with a consistent product and you are using properly wrapped rods instead of pultruded rods.. Consistency is key..

• Like 1

Now that you've won the Micron in the Karma drawing you can consider a quad-line as the other kite to get. I believe YOUR Karma involves quads. The devil made me say that! :devil: Plus, now you have the perfect excuse.

Many of the shafts used in kiting, although closely related to those used in archery, would simply shatter on release if used for a bow of 40-pound pull or more, so don't get them mixed up. I'm sure you've already experienced the "fun" of digging carbon fiber out of your skin. Archery knocks are very common in kiting, especially for delta dual-liners.

I did some target shooting back in the day for kicks. It was quite different than it is today, and very exciting when compound bows first made an appearance. I was shooting a 70" 40# custom-made takedown. Much like you, I didn't like buying junk when I got into something new. Sometimes I wish I had saved all the money I have spent on hobbies and invested it. Well, at least I lived. You don't even want to know what I've spent on fishing!

Guest LeeBB

That’s exactly what I was thinking Maka, Hey look out guessing My Karma, But you could be right, Quad something? I hope someone is interested in my Karma

Guest LeeBB

So I was More interested In Knowing If Carbon Bow arrows would be similar.  I know the weight Of My arrow runs around 20grams around 400 grains for My Hunting Set Up, I see these shafts used in Kites are very very very light weight, Wow only 4 grams up to around 8 grams for most sport kites it seems.  The Mathews would turn one of these kite sticks to dust if shot threw the Bow.