KiteLife Forum

How To Clean Your Kite.

Guest LeeBB

Guest LeeBB

After a long Fun Filled day on the beach with Our Kites There Bound to get Dirty, Salty etc.  We want to keep our kites as clean as possible and all our equipment that We use to Fly with clean and lines clean As Possible,  I’m here As A New Kite Flyer, But I Recon I’m a expert In Preventive Maintanace.  So How Do Y’all Clean Afterwards, Dawn Soap And water will destroy Salt on contact and Any Oils You May Pick up during that Dunk in the water.  What I figured Is to break Down the Kite and rinse the kite off under low pressure water paying extra attention to Remove all Sand and Dirt that May Have found its way into places it should not be.  Then give her a soap wash, rinse then Hang to dry.   Don’t try to blow dry with a hair dryer, Lol. If our lines are salty and nasty, Rinse In fresh water and Let air Dry .  Is this about Right?   Do Y’all Clean Your Kites, Cause It Seems They will get very nasty on the beach at times, depending?  

Can't help I don't live near saltwater. Got sandy soil though. I just fly at the top of the kites wind range and they get dry cleaned LOL. Seriously though I use mild dish soap pretty diluted and rub gently. I don't scrub at all and air dry. Made the mistake of putting a damp kite away after a snow day. Thought it had dried but no. Got a little bit of staining on the sail from the bridle. Had to get close to see it but still.

Don't wash the kite too often. That will put more wear on it than the dirt probably would. If you fly in or near saltwater rinse with fresh water each time. Don't use detergents until you can see that the kite is really grubby from a distance. You can use Woolite in cold water on low cycle for 10 minutes in the washer, with the frame removed, but I wouldn't unless the kite is absolutely filthy.