KiteLife Forum

Welcome LookuPLars

Hello @LookuPLars,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

• Like 1

Hello everyone, my name is Larry and its a pleasure to meet everyone. 51 years and I live in Las Vegas. And i am a newbee Im a disabled veteran so i have a lot of time for kites. The wind in this town. Lets just say its not like the wind you get at the beach my first kite i bought about a year ago at savors. Does anyone no the model of this kite? I know its made by X-Kites. I know this because of the worn down tag

IMG_1191.JPG

Plus the other day the leading edge rods got crushed. A friend of mine kinda backed up on them flying a kite. My fault for laying it down behind him. Never will do that again. What im trying to ask is. Is there a way to repair these rods plus i don’t think that these rods came with the kite originally. Being on a fixed income i cant afford a beautiful expensive kite and the rods seem to be up there in prices. If any one can comment i would be very much appreciated to the max. I really like this kite. Just started to get stalls down and i really wAnt to move up on the trick skills got to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Hey there. Welcome to the forum. Pretty kite!

You might do better getting an answer to your repair question by putting it as a separate post. I don't fly dual line, so the answer about repairs might be different, but I have been told at other times to repair my quad frame tubes by:

1. Use electrical tape to reinforce splits. Move damaged end out of high stress positions.
2. Put/glue a ferrule into the damaged part of the tube to repair it.

Cheers and welcome!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Hi, Larry, and welcome to the forum. 

Once carbon tubes are cracked or broken they will never be the same. You can repair them, but the epoxy and other materials required to do the job right will cost as much as replacing the tube, and the repair will probably fail soon. You can make some repairs if the tube is split at one of the ends and position it at the outer tip of the sail where there is little flex. If it is broken in the middle it's history. I always replace those. If it fails it may damage the leading edge sleeve or the sail, and those repairs cost more in time and money than replacing the tube, which you will now need to do anyway. Not worth the risk. Replacement tubes can be found online. Check the originals to determine what type you have. Visit a kite shop to consult if you can. There's one in Vegas called A Wind of Change on Russell Road. They are awesome. A very reputable shop known by most serious flyers. They can get you going again at minimal cost.  

I look forward to flying with you someday. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

A Wind of Change moved to Salt Lake City. I don't know if other stores are still in the area.

My bad. I thought they were still in Vegas. That 's quite a long-distance move. When did this happen?

@LookuPLars, you'll have have to go elsewhere, or contact them on-line. Probably still the closest to you, and they know their kites.

• Like 1

@Lookuplars
Where in vegas are you? I'm in vegas also. Theres a small group of pilots that gather at the silverbowl on fri nights. With all the spares i have lying around we should have your baby up in no time. I'll dm all my info.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, whtmtn said:

Theres a small group of pilots that gather at the silverbowl on fri nights.

Welcome. You are fortunate to be able to fly with those people. Someone in that group has taken a bunch of very cool kite photos over the years. The kite history lessons you'd get would be just as good as the flying lessons.  Fly it, break it, fix it and fly it again.

Welcome. You are fortunate to be able to fly with those people. Someone in that group has taken a bunch of very cool kite photos over the years. The kite history lessons you'd get would be just as good as the flying lessons.  Fly it, break it, fix it and fly it again.

Wooowhoooo

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1