KiteLife Forum

Replacement Parts

Carl Norman

I keep breaking my Kymera.  Need a lower spreader (non-ferruled) and a standoff.

Is there a "parts list" somewhere or what's the best way to figure out what I need? I'm trying to avoid calling a kite shop every time I need something and just order it on my own.

The standoff mount broke, so I need both the standoff mounting piece and the mini-standoff-spar but don't know the sizes.

As a follow up question, I didn't crash the poor thing, maybe I'm pulling too hard on launch or something? I'm not accustomed to these higher end kites so maybe I'm just a bit too hard on them?

My experience has been mostly with Prisms.

Thanks a ton for the help.

The Kymera is the same quality as my ITW Hydra. I think my Hydra is really tough and built really well. Iv'e only broke it once and I'm not very good yet.Broke the LS smacking the kite onto it's side in a epic failure resulting from a tip wrap close to the ground. Broke a center tee  on a different kite when launching  with one side of the bridle under the LS. Yanked real hard trying to adjust flight not knowing I had assembled wrong and pop. Broke the LS on a Widow ng and my Zephyr while trying to cascade. Got the lines wrapped around the kite both times, yanked real hard and crack.I still fly just as aggressive but my timing is better and can see when I'm in trouble easier. Now when in doubt on how to get out of a wrap I'm more apt to take the kite into a softer (hopefully) controlled crash instead of cranking on the lines. Iv'e broken 2 other LS that I was in doubt about the other side so replaced the whole thing. Better safe then sorry I figured.I'm assuming you have the screw type connectors. Take a micrometer and measure the width of the broken stand off. You'll have to get a whole rod and cut to size with a tape wrap to keep rod from splintering.  Measure the counter part to the broken one. Some kites with 4 stand offs have 2 different lengths per side. If the stand off won't come out of the connector fairly easy do this.Take the sail connectors apart. Measure from the bottom of the top piece of connector to the top of rod without the end cap. Take the new rod insert into new connector to measure for cut. Some use fine tooth saws. I use a Dremel. I broke the sail connector when replacing a stand off on my Black Dog. Buy a few extra. Around a dollar but a pain in the neck when you don't have them. Shipping will cost as much as a sail connector and a 2 or 3 mil. rod.Fun With Wind will ship for free on orders over $20.00. Jim will help you put together a kit that fits your needs. If the Kymera has Dynamic tubes I don't know if he sells them though. I've gotten my Dynamics from Wind of Change. The stand offs will be a standard carbon rod. I don't think sail connectors get broken often so if you buy a few extra you got a pretty good chance of never using them. Some people will replace them every so often to avoid problems of corrosion. If you live near the ocean or in high humidity something to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest LeeBB

Hello Carl.  Just Call Travis At Into The Wind, Or any of those guys can Help.  I actually Just had Travis Make Me Up a Parts Pkg for the Kymera So I Would Have Spare parts On Hand, It’s like 20 dollars for one of each part that’s prone to break 

Guest LeeBB

Truly I believe There Glad To Talk To Us And Help anytime, That’s why they Like there Job So Much, they Love to Help.  I’ll mention they Love to talk to because I’ve Been Talking To Them a lot recently