KiteLife Forum

Buying large swivels

HedgerowPete

After spending the morning in the search section reading up on years worth of questions. I do have one to ask.

My line strengths are way out and to go better or bigger i need to increase line strength, that means increasing  the swivel sizes as well. once I get past 500Lb fishing swivels are not strong enough so I went looking else where. That else where splits into two distint paths, climbing and mountainerring or industrial and in my cass boat chain anchor swivels. Boat chain swivels are considerbly cheap than mountian one used for climbing.

Is there other options to look for for swivels past the 1000lb to 2000lb marks

The other thing is weight of swivels, do you still use on at the bridal attatchment point when you get past 500lb rated units and just have them on the floor?

• Like 1

Sorry - not a big SLK guy, but your question on swivels is really about quality. Boat anchor swivels are not made to anywhere near the tolerances of mountaineering or industrial use. Even fishing has levels of quality - best is SS ball bearing swivels. It really comes down to use and safety. 

14 hours ago, HedgerowPete said:

Is there other options to look for for swivels past the 1000lb to 2000lb marks

Petzl makes heavy weight swivels. I have the "small" swivel. It's 23 Kilonewtons which a little over 5000 LBS. I don't use it for kiting, but I have used it to lift a car body off a frame. It's surprising light too. 

I could see someone using one on a large Bol, or a gigantic windsock, but I can't see much use for one with the kites I have. 

Petzl is word known for cliffhanging gear. nothing from theirs catalog is not rated under 300 LBS not even the head lights. low weight for the gear is also another must be counting on the amount of different "tools" must be carried for a successful climbing