KiteLife Forum

Flying Alone - Dual Line Launch

thebbqguy

Stake the handles down. Unwind the line down wind from the handles. Set up the kite and attach the lines. Pull the lines tight while standing the kite up so it leans away from the handles. It will not launch by itself when it is leaning back. Go back to the handles and untwist the lines while keeping the kite leaning back. Launch. When you land the kite in a position you can't launch from, stake the handles down, walk out to the kite and set it up leaning back again. Walk back to the handles and continue. There are ways to recover from crashes back to the launch position that you must learn.

Watch the beginner dual line videos on this forum. Also, Google "Prism kites the way to fly" and "Prism kites the advanced way to fly" and watch both. Choose a couple or three of the moves you've watched and go out and try them. It will get easier, and with time you should be able to recover from any position the kite ends up in. Take frequent breaks and don't overthink what you're doing. Shoot for the feel rather than the visual of what you're doing.

Remember to have fun. Force yourself if necessary. Some things will be easier than others and it varies from person to person. Don't let it frustrate you -- it will come. Do everything to the left and to the right so you don't become "handed", and this includes recovery moves. There's a lot to absorb. Don't try to do it all at once. Gradual repetition is the way to go. You will soon be amazed at what you can do compared to the first time out. 

• Like 3

A kite stake is invaluable for flying alone. Another way is to weight down the trailing edge with sand. When flying a foil alone, that is about the only way to self launch that I know of...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobB said:

A kite stake is invaluable for flying alone. Another way is to weight down the trailing edge with sand. When flying a foil alone, that is about the only way to self launch that I know of...

Foils can also be rolled from trailing edge to leading edge, and even partially into the lines. The wind will push it to roll up. Pulling on the lines will unroll it. Not practical with foils over 2.5 meters or so.

I almost never use a stake for dual line kites any more -- one less thing to forget ;) 

In low(er) winds one can just let the framed kite tilt back while you go back to the handles. At a certain windspeed or gust the kite may start to blow around as you walk back, so I do this: at the kite end, roll the kite backwards by hand about 3/4 of a revolution from the normal launch position so that it is oriented nose forward, belly down flat on the ground, with the lines coming up over the trailing edge of the kite and draped over the top of the kite, and extending back towards the handle/strap end of the lines. The kite is directly downwind of the handles here.

Having the nose forward on the ground pointed (pancaked) into the wind gives it good stability, and time to get back to your handles comfortably and safely. You may perhaps recognize the nose forward position from some of the times you were forced to do that walk of shame to get airborne again -- but in this case the lines are deliberately draped as described, and you at the handle end of the lines slooowly and gently pull to roll the kite arse over nose to get to the stable launch position.

This technique works in most winds, with the only issue perhaps being more extreme winds making it hard to roll the kite without potential damage (I don’t fly in that much wind), or wildly variable winds which might swirl and change direction up to 180 degrees or some such -- at which time I either wait it out or, less desirably, pack it in.

I keep the kites I am not flying at the moment ‘parked’ on the ground nose into the wind face down. Sometimes there is quite the squadron of them ;)

The other note is that I am fortunate enough to fly mainly over grass (soccer/cricket fields) and so ymmv for other surfaces. I am inland so our winds are somewhat variable and uneven but this works for me most of the time.

This process gets me out flying in a wide range of winds by meself with good success, and may be worth a try if you, ummm, forget a stake, too.

Hope this helps a bit.

The above is also a good method, but I hesitate to suggest that to people who may not be familiar with ground recoveries. I am almost always wearing pants or shorts that have a convenient 'hammer loop' (carpenter pants) so I always have a place to put my kite stake, anyway.

Guest LeeBB

Hello, The way I Self Fly My kite Without any Launch Help.  I first put the kite down on its back with your bridal and cross spars facing the Sky.  Nose of the kite it at 12 o’clock, Tail is at 6. I then add some sand to the kites leading edge to hold it down.  I take my line winder out of my pocket and attached the lines to the bridal with a larks head knot.  I then slowly walk away from the kite into the wind, while unroll your lines keeping them seperated and trying not to twist the lines.  Once I’m at the end of the lines I put the lines down and stake them.  Gain your surroundings and bearings then pick up the line set.  Give a small tug and look to see that all lines are correct routed to the kite, left hand left side , right hand right side.  Then slowly stand the kite up by stepping backwards or by pulling with Your arms.  Once the kite it vertically nose up, lines good to go, take small step back extension the arms outstretched so the kite doesn’t move, now pump your arms down to your side with a Steady swift pull , Be Sure and keep your arms equally pulling,  your up and flying Now with No help.  To land, fly to either side of the Wind window and let the kite depower close to the ground and step forward to land pulling gently on either strap to get the nose Up again.  Hope this helps, This is How I Do It. 

28 minutes ago, LeeBB said:

Hello, The way I Self Fly My kite Without any Launch Help.  I first put the kite down on its back with your bridal and cross spars facing the Sky.  Nose of the kite it at 12 o’clock, Tail is at 6. I then add some sand to the kites leading edge to hold it down.  I take my line winder out of my pocket and attached the lines to the bridal with a larks head knot.  I then slowly walk away from the kite into the wind, while unroll your lines keeping them seperated and trying not to twist the lines.  Once I’m at the end of the lines I put the lines down and stake them.  Gain your surroundings and bearings then pick up the line set.  Give a small tug and look to see that all lines are correct routed to the kite, left hand left side , right hand right side.  Then slowly stand the kite up by stepping backwards or by pulling with Your arms.  Once the kite it vertically nose up, lines good to go, take small step back extension the arms outstretched so the kite doesn’t move, now pump your arms down to your side with a Steady swift pull , Be Sure and keep your arms equally pulling,  your up and flying Now with No help.  To land, fly to either side of the Wind window and let the kite depower close to the ground and step forward to land pulling gently on either strap to get the nose Up again.  Hope this helps, This is How I Do It. 

What do you do on grass?

apparently dual fliers are more confident on constant wind direction then a stake. IMO sand or grass a stake is not just a great tool is also a safety  one. all the discussions stop to launch but parking the kite is also something must to be take in consideration. I may be wrong 

What do you do on grass? Well you keep the loonies on the path. I stake always except for my foil. I use a old rubber ball. Last time I staked the foil it self launched and went about a 1/2 mile all on it's own. Very embarrassing. Long walk too.

54 minutes ago, Breezin said:

What do you do on grass? Well you keep the loonies on the path. I stake always except for my foil. I use a old rubber ball. Last time I staked the foil it self launched and went about a 1/2 mile all on it's own. Very embarrassing. Long walk too.

Another Pink Floyd fan kiteflier ? I'm surprised...

At least you got the kite back. I used to carry beach stones in my kite bag to weight the trailing edge of a foil when flying on grass. When I used to fly on grass. I can't stand grass because it always comes with mud & goose cr@p.

• Like 1

Guest LeeBB

I’ve Notice a lot of Dog poo also in Public Grass areas no mater where We’re At.  Folks simply don’t pick up after there self, much less there Dogs These Days.   

1 hour ago, LeeBB said:

I’ve Notice a lot of Dog poo also in Public Grass areas no mater where We’re At.  Folks simply don’t pick up after there self, much less there Dogs These Days.   

While that unfortunately is a true statement, there's also a lot of "nature" from the Canadian Geese.. Ther are responsible dog owners but there are also way too many that think leash laws and policing pet waste are not their problems.

OK, I have 2 dogs in my family... if I reach into my pocket 'right now'... at this moment... I have 2 POOP bags. Seriously ! But those GD geese, they totally suck. They take dumps the size of my dogs and in a quantity that couldn't be described as anything but infinite. Too bad they're not good to eat, that would give me an excuse... But I am not ashamed to admit that I don't feel bad when I see one at that side of the road, squashed by a car...

12 hours ago, RobB said:

They take dumps the size of my dogs and in a quantity that couldn't be described as anything but infinite. Too bad they're not good to eat, that would give me an excuse...

The goose poops? The geese taste great, if properly prepared. That's why goose hunting exists.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RobB said:

Another Pink Floyd fan kiteflier ? I'm surprised...

Wish you were here 😊. These 1/2 axle failures the last couple weeks are driving me nuts . My geese, chickens, Great Dane and little dogs stay enclosed on a acre. Does get poopy at times (weekly patrol)but the birds sure make things green. Akbash and alpacas got 79 acres but poop in the same piles. Very convenient. Keeps my shoes and kites pretty clean. Prepared right goose is so much better than turkey. Boom,boom, boom 3 in the bag. Hey no back off not mine. Mine are pets. A goose produces a fantastic 1 egg omelette.

• Like 1