KiteLife Forum

Leech line

LookuPLars

Leech lines are a way to control the "flapping" of the trailing edge. Hear the noise from old kites? Notice how quiet most all modern kites are? Leech lines let you adjust that noise level. Left uncontrolled, the flapping would eventually ruin the trailing edge. Adding the leech line and snugging it up, usually eliminates that.

All are routed through the trailing edge seam and anchored at the wingtips and spine. Some are fixed at the spine and adjusted at the wings, others are fixed at the wings and adjusted at the spine.

Guest LeeBB

The Motor sounds do come from the trailing edge flapping around a bit.  My Kymera doesn’t have a leech line and it’s loud, Have not had the chance to try the Acrobatx.  I do plan on tightening the leech line up as tight as safely possible at first 

Guest LeeBB

The white Line is a leech line, It travels threw the trailing edge  to the spine  , Both Sides.  The more you tighten them the less noise,  If you like the kite to be louder ( motor noise) loosening the leech lines then takes the tension off that edge and It’s Louder.  I hope this Helps You Understand Better how they Work

83D35130-B0A4-46F1-93D4-8E1075631F38.jpeg

Guest LeeBB

Tapes

Always have some Kiteaid, spinnaker tape, Mcnett Aquasure and some plastic material for the bladders (always used those in the repair kit sold with Cabrinha kites). With Kiteaid, you can iron on the patch and be ready to fly instantly.

Kiteaid works the best. It's an iron-on patch that will resist peeling, sand, uv rays and does not need to sit to dry for 24 hours. With a simple household iron, you can repair a kite that is torn in half in 15 minutes and be off flying again. Be sure to remove the bladder before fixing struts as the heat of the iron will damage the bladder. It uses a thermoplastic adhesive film that "dries" on the sail cloth when at room temperature. It also does not start to slide off when exposed to hot weather like traditional sail tape. Kiteaid will also not attract sand when cooled so it is reluctant to start peeling off your kite.

Traditional rubber based adhesive Sail tape will work also (50%) if you activate the adhesive by HEATING it after you stick it on. Doesn't take much heat. If you use the white sail tape/insignia cloth, you can tell when the adhesive is activated -the tape becomes translucent and the color of the fabric below shows through more. At home I put the canopy on a flat surface, clean and align it, apply tape, place a towel under it, then apply heat. I use a clothes iron that has been turned on to lowest setting, then unplugged for a minute! The adhesive only needs ~40-45c (100-100f) or so to work, so no need to crank it up and melt the kite! In hot weather if you leave the repair tape in the car it will be hot enough to stick well on its own, if you apply some pressure and rub it. For a quick repair, not heating it gives you some sessions usually, you can still use heat to set the adhesive later. Heat can be used to increase the bond of the repair but it can also make the tape slide off the kite when flown in hot weather. This is because most sail tapes use rubber based adhesives.

On a reinforced part of the kite, use some "aquaseal" or other PU that cures flexible to glue the canopy or tube, then throw patches on (both sides, one patch bigger than the other). For long or jagged tears, use cyanoacrylate (superglue) to align and glue (spot-weld) the fabric together before applying repair tape.

Its a 30. Dollar delta kite. Ebay has it all over the place only thing i could afford but cant afford to loose. Um it crashed hard one time i usually try not to fly into the ground. Except the day i noticed the kite both of my lines snapped but My xkite as you know is down. Needs alot if repairs on the sail i also noticed that the bottom spreaders arent even off like .75cm

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Tightening and loosening the leach line also affects the performance characteristics of the kite by controlling the billow of the sail. Not enough for the beginner to notice at first, but eventually will make a big difference in the kite's trickability.

Good info there! I probably would use insignia tape to fix it. It was developed to number sails on boats. Take out the spine spar, flatten on a table, mark where the tape should go. Remove the backing a bit and slowly apply right up to the diamond on the sail. Roll it down well! You can trim the tape to match the shape if you like. Measure the distance across to get the right width tape. You want to completely cover the stitching and sail tears. I think you can find it in 1", 2" and 4" widths.

Theresa at the Kite Shoppe carries it. I've made my own wear strips for my quads using it.