KiteLife Forum

Low Wind

Guest LeeBB

Guest LeeBB

Very Low Wind Today.  The Ul is doing a fine job tho, Pretty Good work out I must say.  I’m very Impressed By this Kite , The Wind might be a steady 3 to 4mph dropping to no winds often.  She want Fly very good in 0 wind, Lol. I must find me a good Sul for these Days, the Poor Kymera Hasn’t been Out the Bag today 🤨

4309B1F6-BB5D-4603-A1E4-9C448EECC735.jpeg

Guest LeeBB

After flying for about four hours I noticed I didn’t even have the upper spreader in place, Rookie Mistake, But It flew Just fine, , Notice that spreader was in the kite bag, I put the spreader on, Nice , Was very Responsive after the spreader was on the kite.  Hope y’all are flying today! 

Your "rookie mistake" is what many experienced flyers do on purpose for better performance in low wind. Try with and without when the wind is less than four mph to get an idea of the difference it makes. It will have a marked impact with slightly heavy kites -- UL as opposed to SUL -- by allowing the sail to billow a bit differently.

Guest LeeBB

Maka, My Mistake Was truly Opps, Bit you know what, After I put the spar back in place the Kite Did feel Less Mushy With Line input,  it did have a much more lazy attitude So to speak.  Line input seemed lazy, I didn’t realize anything was wrong  or off .  When I Put the upper spreader on the kite the day was getting late and the wind had rose quite a bit.  But I could definitely Feel the difference in flight character and line input feel 

Guest LeeBB

I think It’s amazing the difference in the way the 50 pound line on the Acrobatx feels compared to the 90# Line that I Have with the Kymera.  I prefer the 50# Line much much more.  It’s strange but I can feel what direction the line is twisted some how?  I’m new of course, but the feel of the lines working against each other is a amazing  sensation to me.  My wife could not understand what I could feel, But it’s almost like feel a large mouth bass nibble at a worm tail, same type feel but different, very sensitive tho!!  I love It.  

10 hours ago, LeeBB said:

Maka, My Mistake Was truly Opps, Bit you know what, After I put the spar back in place the Kite Did feel Less Mushy With Line input,  it did have a much more lazy attitude So to speak.  Line input seemed lazy, I didn’t realize anything was wrong  or off .  When I Put the upper spreader on the kite the day was getting late and the wind had rose quite a bit.  But I could definitely Feel the difference in flight character and line input feel 

The differences are there but they are quite small. With more time flying in low wind they will gradually become more noticeable and desirable. You can only take advantage of the difference if you can feel it. That is what makes it difficult to understand until you have maybe a couple hundred hours of flying time. At that that point you'll notice a big difference in some aspects of performance. That's also what makes this hobby so enticing.

The 50# line has less fibers in the weave and therefore less surface to distribute the load. That's why you can feel the "bumps". It will also begin to bind up sooner when you spin the kite in the same direction a few times -- 5, 6, 7 or more. As far as stretch and sensitivity, the comparison to fishing is absolutely valid.

Guest LeeBB

Thanks For Your Replies Maka, I’m picking this Kite Sensations and Feeling Up Very fast.  I’m no stranger to flight pattern and character.  There Is a sense of electric  Static all around Me, It’s Great!!  

Guest LeeBB
2 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I understand you liking the "feel" of 50# line, but some kites create too  much pull for it and you have to use heavier line. That or risk hearing "pop"!!!

Thanks For All the Information While we talked Wayne.  I’ll be sure and go to the 90# set when I hear these talking too much.  Good to know

Guest LeeBB

Has anyone tested or pushed a set of 50# lines to there limit, Just how much will they take before one fails, I was thinking a double line failure would be very rare??   

5 hours ago, LeeBB said:

I was thinking a double line failure would be very rare??   

Yes, it is rare because of what happens when one line breaks. You can simulate a line breaking by dropping one of the handles. Spoiler alert: The kite does tight spins. The speed of the spin depends on the wind, but I bet most lines are broken in the upper wind limits, and that means fast spins. The few times this has happened to me, either dropping a line or breaking a line, I just walk/run quickly toward the kite and when it gets close to the ground, drop the other handle.  

Guest LeeBB

Wayne and I was talking This Morning and He said something that Made me Laugh for awhile evertime I think about it.  We wS talking about kite recovery during an uncontrollable moment, recovery Protection insurance So to speak.  

We have all been there, learning a new trick, performing a routine or just getting to know how to fly.  What do you do when there seems to be an inevitable Crash.  Pull on the lines, No way, that’s feeding fuel to the fire.  Run towards the kite if Possible, Good one, that will take some power out of the lines!!  But Hey, When all else fail, Then throw your handles at the kite 🤑 Perfect.  Well, I’ll tell you , It Works, And It will save you Money!!   Hope y’all enjoy!!  

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, Guest LeeBB said:

Very Low Wind Today.  The Ul is doing a fine job tho, Pretty Good work out I must say.  I’m very Impressed By this Kite , The Wind might be a steady 3 to 4mph dropping to no winds often.  She want Fly very good in 0 wind, Lol. I must find me a good Sul for these Days, the Poor Kymera Hasn’t been Out the Bag today 🤨

4309B1F6-BB5D-4603-A1E4-9C448EECC735.jpeg

can you confirm, what kite is this?