KiteLife Forum

2nd Time Success

thebbqguy

It's been awhile since my first flight attempts with the Premiere Vision dual line.

The first time out my longest flight was about 2 minutes. Today with much stronger winds, I flew for 10 minutes and a little more.

My wife also had some 4 or 5 minute flights as well 

The weird thing is the wind would be screaming then fall to nothing. Sometimes I was able to save it; sometimes I was not. It was fun. 

Guest LeeBB

I had the same type wind today, Light steady Breezin, then Fell Off To nothing and just float back down. Was like that most of the day till later afternoon 

Guest LeeBB

Glad to see y’all Had A good time today , My Wife also Flew around for several minutes today.  I think I Hooked Her With the Bait, Bahaha!🤭

My 13 year old grandson has been pretty skeptical of this kite thing. Thinks there for little kids. Got him lit up awhile back but interest had faded a bit. Yesterday winds were bopping between 1 to 2 up to 6 and 8. Spent about 4 hours going up and down learning ground hops and just flying around on the Hydra. He did really well. Started releasing tension on the lines when crashing pretty fast. Today we flew the foil in 10 to 15 for a few hours. Got the Hydra out flew a bit with some good success. Winds started picking up  and I kept pushing him. Kite was starting to shudder a bit so I showed him again how to go around the window avoiding the power zone. Getting a little gusty and I measured one at 22. He was getting spooked but I said if it breaks we'll fix it and convinced him to try one more trip around the window before calling it a day. Going left to right a big gust hit when he was top center of window. Lost his balance a bit and turned the kite down. He freaked and yanked instead of turning or releasing. 2 seconds latter KABLAM. IMG_20180603_154216963 - Edited (2).jpg My bad. We got to the kite and he was pretty upset. Sure that the kite was destroyed. You should have seen the look on his face when I told how mad his mom was going to be. You know having  to buy me a new kite and all. Kinda mean of me but it was hilarious.IMG_20180603_162822210 - Edited (1).jpg IMG_20180603_162851955 - Edited (1).jpg Kite is fixed and will fly like nothing happened. Excellent weekend.

• Like 2

Guest LeeBB

Glad y’all are ready for another Fun Day.  Had Sorta the same thing happened with my Acrobatx today, Had the kite line staked, But did not have the kite stake, It was sitting in the launch Position, I’m New of course and thought All was well and The kite sure looked good sitting up there.  I was texting are something and was in the shade and My wife said , there it goes, It’s flying by itself, I  heard the Sing Of The 50# Line and thought O No, Looked up and She was rocketing straight into the ground nose dive, And DORT , She Hit hard.  Sounds Like a 22 caliber rifle going off😑.  Saw part flying off , we got to the kite and put all the spars back on the kite and She was Good to go.  So far no crashes by My Hands Yet.  

Guest LeeBB

Maka, That’s absolutely True, Good strong steady Breezes and Everything Is Perfect, Yesterday was My First Low Wind day, also the first day with the New Ul.  

On 6/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, Guest LeeBB said:

Glad y’all are ready for another Fun Day.  Had Sorta the same thing happened with my Acrobatx today, Had the kite line staked, But did not have the kite stake, It was sitting in the launch Position, I’m New of course and thought All was well and The kite sure looked good sitting up there.  I was texting are something and was in the shade and My wife said , there it goes, It’s flying by itself, I  heard the Sing Of The 50# Line and thought O No, Looked up and She was rocketing straight into the ground nose dive, And DORT , She Hit hard.  Sounds Like a 22 caliber rifle going off😑.  Saw part flying off , we got to the kite and put all the spars back on the kite and She was Good to go.  So far no crashes by My Hands Yet.  

Glad I'm not the only one with a staked handle unintentional launch.  Had that experience a few years ago with my five stack of blue Nexus kites.  Staked 'em carefully, well I thought I did, but had a similar result.  The kites were leaned way back but as the gusts came & went the kites would move a little bit.  Each time they moved a little I guess they straightened up a little more until the angle of attack was right for a self launch.  My well equalized lines gave them a nice straight trajectory to the top of the window.   Soon as they got up high enough they pulled the stake.  The stake pulled part way & was bent by the pull of the stack.  They kept climbing until the stake came out completely.  Then they drifted off to the right crashing to the ground barely missing a parked Rev Power Blast 2-4.  That could have been a disaster.  But no harm was done & I was very glad I was the only one on the field as there could have been injuries with the out of control kites & the dangling kite stake.  Many lessons come the hard way.  Be careful out there.   SHBKF

Not a great image but the kites right before that unintentional launch.  If you look closely you can see the golf ball stake.

4-7-13 Saint John's Way.JPG

• Like 1

little bit of flipping, enhancing and resizing yielded this pic.. A quick web seach gave me Acrobatx by Flying Wings

Name:     Acrobatx  
  Style:     Freestyle  
  Frame:     6mm Carbon  
  Sail:     Ripstop Nylon
Mylar

Bridle:     3 point  
  Wingspan:     86.5"  
  Skill:     Intermediate to
Advanced

Wind:     3-20 mph

Acrobatx.jpeg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 5:06 PM, riffclown said:

little bit of flipping, enhancing and resizing yielded this pic.. A quick web seach gave me Acrobatx by Flying Wings.

Old thread, but I'm pretty sure that it's the Acrobatx UL, with different specs:

Wingspan 37 x 86.5

Frame Dynamic T10

Sail Ventex Polyester + Mylar

Weight 7.6 oz

Wind 1 ~ 10 mph

Style Free style

Level Advanced

Flying Line 80lb Dyneema, 80' w/straps (although they list flying line, I think it usually doesn't come with line/straps)

Ballast 0.2 oz

Tail weight 0.6 oz

Joe

• Like 1