KiteLife Forum

Best Way To Stake A Dual Line Kite

Guest LeeBB

Guest LeeBB

Hello, I’m Wondering what you guys use to stake a kite in the launch position?  I learned today Not to stand the kite up like in the picture with the handles staked.  

90C87C29-B805-4303-94D8-2BA7694A6336.jpeg

Guest LeeBB

Hello All and thanks For the reply.  Yes I was staged right on the edge of the window.  She Had a mind of her own to Fly Without any Warning or supervision twice yesterday.  I’m going to lean the Kite  way Back now. 

A stake less launch.

Set your kite up and put on its belly with the nose into the wind.
Take the lines and run then out the back then over the top (back of kite).
Unwind your lines out like normal.
When you put tension in your lines, your kite will pull over and then be ready to fly.

I use a stake to pause or break down though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Guest LeeBB

Thanks For that tip.  We had another couple episodes today with the Kymera Flying away on Me.  I was able to recover the lines , the kite jerked the stake out of the ground, I grabbed a line The One I  could catch and , O boy, that wS a mistake, It cut me good, but I was able to get the kite out of the air without damaging anything, But Half My Line Set is now stain red.😮

Red stain will make it easy to tell right from left line. Red, Right, ((return)nautical reference))... That's how I remember, and it is a challenge for me as I'm dyslexic as they come !

Might work like that in the US. Other way round in Europe. Red is port and port is left in nautical terms. So never understood why everybody attaches red lines to the right hand side of the kite.

Still put the red lines on the right regardless.;)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, jaydub200 said:

Might work like that in the US. Other way round in Europe. Red is port and port is left in nautical terms. So never understood why everybody attaches red lines to the right hand side of the kite.

Still put the red lines on the right regardless.;)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Red, right, Return (red is on the right when you're returning to port) When you're heading out, red is on the left... 

This is in reference to buoys, not navigation lights on the boat.

13 minutes ago, RobB said:

Red, right, Return (red is on the right when you're returning to port) When you're heading out, red is on the left... 

This is in reference to buoys, not navigation lights on the boat.

There are two buoyage systems in the world and the US and Europe use different systems.  Red and green are used the other way around, so in Europe it would be red, left, return.  I probably didn't explain that very well before.

IMG_20180609_160123988.jpgPink and lime for my 200 lb set. Now I'm totally confused LOL.  Spent 11 years working on fishing boats, tugs and the U.S. Navy. All this nautical talk is making me yearn for the oceans  and fresh seafood. Next sleeves are going to be black and white.

• Like 1