KiteLife Forum

LPG Vs SKY BOND Vs Dyneema

Just Flyin

Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's good to have you on board.

I prefer LPG because it's stiffer; less chance of tangles and catching on debris. I also use Sky Bond on occasion because it is a bit more slippery than LPG so it will bind less when I spin the kite several times. Most dual line kites come standard with Dyneema lines. Dyneema's weave is not as dense as the other two and so its surface is not as smooth. Experienced flyers will fly either LPG or Sky Bond depending on preference and/or intent, especially when flying in pairs or groups.

I either buy or make my own depending on availability and time frame. It's good to know how to make your own just in case you need to do it on the field. I've done it a couple of times and it saved the day. Most folks fly on what is commercially available but know how to turn a worn long set into two shorter ones. The bottom line is how deep you get into the hobby.

• Like 2

i prefer SkyBond from 2 main reasons. Are Yellow and a bit beter to be seen when kite parked in public areas. Second reason,i feel like they are more slippery then LPG.

if i find a deal i buy in bulk and made them miself but i buy pre-made usualy in 120

Thanks For the Reply Maka And Edmond.  Very good advice for Me and All that reads.  I was wondering If Spectra Line,  Is that the same stuff that’s Used On huge Ships And barges to secure there Ships and Barges Together? But obviously Much much smaller, Does  any one know?

I fly skybond mostly. I find it actually stiffer than LPG. LPG seems to soak up sand at the beach and can get completely jammed after a few wraps under these conditions. It has been tough to get a roll of skybond in the past but now they should be available. 

I make my own for the most part. Pre-made linesets in my bag came with kite purchases..

The more recent runs of Skybond don't seem as durable as the previous runs. I hear more stories of fraying, "fuzziness" and stickiness than ever before.  That being said, LPG and Skybond are both still great choices in my opinion. I also fly a few kites with Dyneema and even blendline but not when I'm sharing a field with others.

FWIW, Skybond and LPG are always in my bag.. I also have some other stuff not appropriate to fly around others but it was rock solid in a pinch.

My 240's are Skybond.

120's in both Skybond and LPG.

It gets pretty varied form there at least in my line bag.

If you are talking DLKs - there's another option - Shanti Speed line. Available through Into the Wind (ITW) in bulk or pre-made sets. Made of spectra, lasts a very long time, still not "cheap". 

As far as making your own sets, there is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. But after all the parts are figured in, it is about 2 sets for the price of one pre-made set. Depends if your time is valuable to you and if you'd rather it be done for you. Or do you have plenty of time to invest in making? Your call.....

• Like 1

Was at ITW yesterday getting my Hydra sewn up and Totl c15 checked out. Bang up service!! Just about got some Shanti 98' x 90#.Pricey but more than likely worth it. Iv'e got LPG in 50# x 120' and 90# at 124". They're my favorite but the only premium lines I've flown. Been needing a shorter 50# set.Iv'e kept balking at the price of premium lines. Sunday after flying the 1.4 foil with 5, 8 and 10 year old grand daughters I bought a ITW Cadet in perfect shape with wind breaks and a 80' x 50# dyneema line set for a lot less than a premium line set. Finally got my shorter set and the grand kids won't be beating up my nicer kites.Kind of a 2 fer deal. The other thought is 80' might still be to long and I don't want to chop up pricier lines. From the builder of my Pro Dancer " 0 to 6 mph 50# with 65' to 75'. I prefer 65' but you might like the 75'."At my current skill set I can feel the difference but the LPG lines aren't making me any better than my Prism line sets. They are 82' x 90# and 100' x 150# . My HQ 100' x 130# are at best comparable to my 80' x 80# dyneema set. Won't buy another HQ set. Think it's pretty much the same stuff and you pay more for the HQ packaging.Use it mostly in 20+. Doesn't feel as spongy  in the higher winds. Want to wear it out as fast as I can to justify a 120 x  150# premium set. It's a little foolish of me to not have all premium lines with my current kites. As I get better they'll come. In bulk. IMHO if a person is not going to really  push the envelope in the duel line arena the lines that come with most quality RTF kites are more than good enough. Zephyr, Widow ng, Nighthawk etc. 

• Like 1

When I move to the Dark Side (quads) I will probably start on a OSK Freilein unless used. From what I've learned here  I need to start with premium lines. I won't buy RTF unless with a premium line set. A lot different with quads and I believe cheaper lines will make for a poorer learning curve on quads. Problem is I want a Super Fly and Lam is now making the Fearless II. Guy that sewed up my Hydra yesterday has a bunch of duels and quads. Fearless is his favorite kite. SIGH.I don't need either. Just a serious want. Wife swears it's OCD. I think it's just a mild addiction 😁.

• Like 1

Premium? There are good lines and ..... not so much. Good lines aren't cheap for a reason - they are woven much tighter, resulting in less stretch and/or creep. Lines are your only connection to what you fly - your choice on how you like that to be!!

• Like 3

Got some clouds cooled off a bit and flew for a couple hours this evening. Thinking on this thread I took my Black Dog and Widow Maker out with 80# x 80' dyneema line set. Been maybe 3 months since I've used it. I'd never flown the Widow Maker on a Dyneema set before. Ouch. Never will again. Got to remembering that the last 3/4 of my time with the  Widow ng was on 150# x 100" prism line. Maybe the last couple months I've gotten more attuned to the kites. Zoomed around a bit on the Black Dog  and had a good time. Didn't feel a dramatic difference if at all flying it with Prism 90# x 80" or the dyneema. Never flown it with LPG. Switched to the WMP and wow was it noticeable. Winds were a blustering  but not overly bad. Between 12 and 18 mph.Should have been flying the Mind Trick. It handles blustery like you wouldn't believe unless you fly it for yourself. 2 near damaging nose dives that I think were from lack of response in the lines that I hadn't adjusted for . Just to the right of mid center window did a lazy, back into turtle and started rotating to nose forward. Wind gusted a little, kite nosed dived towards center gaining speed as it went. Pulled out but barley. Next one center top, pancaked caught a flic flac, missed the next but held the fade for a bit. About 1/2 way down kite dipped and headed straight for the ground powering up.Avoided the crash but it was even closer then the 1st. It ended in a tip drag which is way to close for me unless intentional. LPG set and I don't think I would have been near that close to disaster. Might have even been able to make another move instead of :kid_cussing:that was close. Flew a bit more. Winds got to shaking the kite and it's hey stupid your on 80#  lines in winds going over 20. Go take a shower.Took the shower and winds dropped under 15. Could have flown another hour dang it. Hopefully the 50#  x 80' dyneema set that'll be here tomorrow won't be such a dramatic difference  on the Tekken or Pro Dancer. Starting to kick myself for being such a cheapskate and not getting LPG 50# months ago. Do have another ( justified) kite though 😁. Buy Shanti, Skybond or LPG. Man I'm starting to become the kite snob I always hoped I could be LOL.

• Like 1

I stated this in another post, but it bears repeating.

I used to fly a 3 kite quiver, based on conditions.  Prism Ozone for light winds, mostly flown on 50# lines. A Flexifoil Stranger on 150# lines for medium wind. A Prism Alien for heavy winds on 90#.

Why? Well the design of the kite really dictated the poundage of lines. The Stranger just overpowered lighter lines. The pull it developed seemed to put 90# line at its max all the time. So I used 150# for peace of mind. Similarly, the Alien felt really light on the line and because of the design, didn't put nearly the strain on the 90# I used. 

In the end I ended up with a 3 kite, 3 line sets quiver. Allowed for a mix and match situation. I could use any line on any kite - it always depended on conditions,

• Like 1

Got the Cadet and 50# line set this morning. Winds were a little gusty. 0 to 8 or 9 but staying closer to 0. Flew the Cadet for about 10 minutes. Only comment about it so far is that I really regret letting go the Premiere Jewel.More time on the Cadet I hope it comes close but 1st impression is no. Went up on the Tekken SUL for about a hour and a 1/2. Satisfied with the new line set for now. After yesterdays dyneema time fairly relieved. Didn't fly the Pro Dancer because of the higher gust. Totally relate to what Wayne said. Tekken has no adjustments and once powered up flight remains amazingly the same all thru the wind range and window. On 90# lines changes a bit above 12 but not much. Kites stated range is 2 to 12 on 50# and Iv'e found that true. If winds gust to 15 I use 90# sets and max out in 15/16  on kite. Pro Dancer has 3 different characteristics to me and I think there are 4. Totally different kite than the Tekken and I think in 8+ gusts would easily break a 50# line set. Kites rates to 12 but I don't go very close to that anymore. For now.Running back and forth doing nose adjustments in gusty winds doesn't pan out most the time. Make my best guess and go. Why am I not flying now on such a nice day you may ask. HOT cause it's HOT. Ya think I lived in a semi arid desert it's so HOT. Oh yeah I do.