KiteLife Forum

Feeling Gray

riffclown

Next up is a series of 3 sails all in gray tones (Black, Charcoal, Silver and White)..Not sure if this will be a stack or individual kites yet. Picture is to give an idea of what is coming. Patterns are by no means set yet.

20180615_161326.jpg

• Like 6

The Feeling Gray set is coming along.. Sail #1 is a straight fade based on my diamonds technique. the other two sails resulted from starting two offsetting designs and mixing  the halves with every other basting run.. It resulted in a pair of sails with a much less distinct transition pattern but an overall look that mimics its mate.. Basting is done.. Centers and sewing remain..

20180621_182322.jpg

20180621_182602.jpg

20180621_182420.jpg

20180621_182230.jpg

• Like 2

The Feeling Gray set is coming along.. Sail #1 is a straight fade based on my diamonds technique. the other two sails resulted from starting two offsetting designs and mixing  the halves with every other basting run.. It resulted in a pair of sails with a much less distinct transition pattern but an overall look that mimics its mate.. Basting is done.. Centers and sewing remain..
20180621_182322.thumb.jpg.9150885fc6fb760c93f26f2cc2adae3f.jpg
20180621_182602.thumb.jpg.bb90ad24cd2de0f5247c93f6e1309f6d.jpg
20180621_182420.thumb.jpg.b8a43173c24fc4dc96f08d8b988a8749.jpg
20180621_182230.thumb.jpg.bddc5adfd88bc195999d9fc279b4d37d.jpg
I feel like the center white diamond near the leading edge of the kite should be black - taking about the one with the dark outer edges. They are all very pretty.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

On 6/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, ACrop said:

I feel like the center white diamond near the leading edge of the kite should be black - taking about the one with the dark outer edges. They are all very pretty.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

I agree, Either Black or the Charcoal..

At least for my kites, LE's will be Black or White for the foreseeable future. Will lean toward white unless the kite itself requires black.. The Red I had was a one time purchase no longer available in that form. I literally bought all I could. To make Red LE's now, I'd have to buy the 54"  bulk fabric and cut it down completely..That's a lot of work and some very long straight cuts..

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Breezin said:

I give up trying to figure out which color scheme I like best. Really I'm just going to stop!! This grey stuff gives me a very smooth flowing type feel. Really like it. Keep them coming and I'll keep enjoying.

Thank you for the very kind words.

The cool thing about this technique is the color schemes all balance themselves out. The last Gray though, was the first of two made from two different  panel arrangements.. It gives it a different (almost plaid) look I can't recreate with the normal technique. Only restriction is I have to make 2 kites this way when I do it.. Same thing for a Symmetrical sail, you have to make 4 panels and match them up since the technique offsets the two sides.  The normal result from this method is a kites whose sides are similar but complimentary, not mirrored.

Gray III is framed.. Only the Bridles remain.. Will tie bridles later this evening after my sewing area cleaned up.  While the width is standard 1.5 the height is a bit shorter. After flying The Gray Fade, I wanted to stick with those dimensions for this sail..

Gray II and Gray III are a matched set..  The pattern for each is the offset of the pattern for the other.  In fact, the excess panel material from the Gray II is the bag for Gray III.

20180915_150927.jpg

20180915_151140.jpg