KiteLife Forum

Premier Wolf or Widow for 2nd Kite

thebbqguy

I would suggest the Widow of the two kites.

My Wolf is very difficult to fly, to the point were it looks like it is the first time I have ever flown a stunt kite, don't have a clue how a kite works, and I have no coordination.

Huge oversteer. It is difficult to launch, difficult to keep airborne.  I do not know if my kite is how other Wolves are set up. Could be that my kite set up wrong or the kite could be set up to be "tricky". I could take the time to fiddle with the bridle, but I have other kites that need to be flown in my limited times I can fly. 

I really like my Widow. It might not get flown every time out depending on the wind, but it most always goes with me when I get a chance to fly just in case the wind changes. It's a durable kite and can do more tricks and can track better than my abilities. 

Unless you are lawn-darting your kite several times a session, I would also suggest looking at kites that are a step-up from the Widow. Into The Wind has the Kymera and Hydra kites at half price. You can also find some nice used kites too.

I had the Nighthawk which evolved into the Wolf ng. Really liked my Nighthawk a lot. From what I've read the Wolf is a little better. After a ton of research my choice for my 1st kite until I found a Widow ng at a great price. Liked the Widow ng so much I sold it and the Nighthawk for a Widow Maker Pro. I would choose my Hydra over the 2 but not the Widow Maker. Not even close. I fly the Hydra a lot  but it has some flaws for a newbie like me. I was warned and do not regret having the kite at all. The cut out for the center tee is to small. Nose dives lead to stress and tears. Easy to repair and reinforce though. I've lost the outer batten. Been replaced and reinforced on both sides by Brandon at ITW. He also reinforced the TE where it had been worn in a couple places and leach line was showing. Better than new. Had rip stop tape on the weak points cause my sewing still sucks. A top notch flier would probably not have had these issues or at least not so soon. Except the battens. Agree with KF. Look at the Hydra and Kymera. Best deals out there . There have been some really nice kites at GWTW the last couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Flew the Hydra yesterday in pretty bumpy and gusty winds. Nothing above 5 was smooth and increased throughout the day. When gusts started hitting 25/26 mph I quit. Way above the Hydras wind range but hey what can I say.Should have went vented but I was in a damn the torpedoes kinda mood. Kite is quick and above 12/13 gets really quick. Tons of fun. Thinking about this post while flying I have to agree with the advice that bigger and slower would be best. I've only flown a Vision twice. Had fun but the Widow ng is a major step up. That would be my choice. A lot of good reviews from excellent fliers on the Silver Fox 2.5. Don't know of any other kites in that price range that are that good. Another plug for the Widow ng is your access to Kites and Fun Things. If you want radical the Premier Addiction is a blast for not much money. Fast, tricky and tough with a wide wind range. Haven't flown the Pro. Should be a little better. Maybe a consideration for your 3rd kite 😊. Was fortunate to have the Addiction, Nighthawk and Widow ng at the same time. Very different kites. Sucks I couldn't keep them when moving up the food chain. Out of the 3 the Widow took me the furthest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, Breezin said:

Hydra a lot       …       I've lost the outer batten.

You seem to have been using the Hydra a lot for this to be happening already (btw outer batten? – there is only one pair to my knowledge). Have there been many keen 2-point like landings on uneven ground or on “stubborn” vegetation?

15 hours ago, Breezin said:

Flew the Hydra yesterday in pretty bumpy and gusty winds. Nothing above 5 was smooth and increased throughout the day...

Any session gives practice in something (not necessarily in what you intended to learn/practice that day) and no two sessions are alike (could indoor sessions be somewhat more alike? – I don’t know).

I fly the Hydra the most because I get excited and try things I'm not good at yet. It's tough, fast and I seem to have a better chance of correcting because of speed. That could just be a false perception though. Outer battens are stressed mostly from roll ups. Where I fly is fairly rough. No rocks but stubborn vegetation would be accurate. The spot is called a Playa. Different then the surrounding pasture. Have 2 on my property. In wet years filled with water by now. Not this year which sucks. No frogs, toads or dragonflys. Won't be very many migratory birds coming by this fall.Having to adjust to the day is one of the most appealing aspects of kiting. Slide stall practice and 1/2 axle attempts daily no matter the wind.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

+1 vote for the Widow NG.

I am a beginner, and have only flown 3 dual line kites, but the Widow NG steers and tracks better than anything else that I have tried so far.

I find it really fun to fly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spin that kite up and zoom close as you can to the ground in 20 mph winds. You will  gain some control skills for sure. Some days when winds are 15+ I still grab my 1.4 and go bombing around for a bit. Always will. Dang it man now I'm thinking about getting a bigger foil.