KiteLife Forum

LAZY

Breezin

Procrastinated way to long getting a 80' x 50# line set. Hadn't had it to long and was using it on the Tekken sul and Pro Dancer. Winds had been blustery all day. 0 to 3 and bam 12 to 15. Then back to the bottom. Flew the Hydra this morning when winds weren't bumping to the top so much. Weights in on 130# lines. To lazy to drop weight, get a 90# set and do the footwork. Got the Tekken and 80' x 50# set instead. Early afternoon winds went more to the higher side and fairly bumpy. Still dropping to near 0 but not as often. Started thinking I'd better switch kites and line set. Naw it'll be okay for a few more minutes (long walk? No!!) Tried a comete. Went insane instead. Pulled out with a lot of line wraps. Winds were probably around 12 and bumpy. Very pleased once again I'd done a trick coming out of a mistake. Even started whistling a bit. Going up I started spinning to snap stall undoing the wraps. Went the wrong way. Line broke about 50' out. Now I'm back procrastinating on another 50# set. All my life being lazy has never panned out.EVER!! Sure do enjoy it at times though. Just not today :ani_wallbash::kid_cussing::ani_rtfm: .

• Like 1

I think that's called gaining experience.  Remember: Learning is fun.

Before you gained the experience you only had stories and anecdotes. You seem to have known better so you likely read something about it, or at least assumed the lines could break. Now you have personal knowledge of why people say to use stronger line when gusts are possible.  

And of course now your story serves to guide others. Some of them will also ignore it, gain experience, and repeat the process.

• Like 1

Thought about this a bit. Waiting for the glue to set up on my Hydra so I can go back out. Lost another do hickie. Experience has shown me they're a pain. Back to plastic tubing. Hey it's stock on my Sky Sport kites. Seems to have a little more Kush to the push. Gusty winds are 50% or more are part of flying here. One minute 5 next 20. Sometimes even more extreme. Without the wraps doubt line would've broke at 12 on the Tekken SUL. Quality lines might not of either. I calculate the risk at the low end. Heavier lines dampen the low end and I'd rather risk the gust for more enjoyment. Broke 90# at 82" and 125' at kite when gusts banged 25 + before I could get to edge. Same on 130# at 30+. 150# on Widow ng around 20. Tekken has flown in 15 mph on LPG 120' x 50# with no singing. Stunning kite. I'll continue to risk my lines for the low end flight. Destroying my 80' x 50# lines was pure D LAZY.  Probably do it again sigh.Hard headed that way. Sure is fun though 😀.