KiteLife Forum

Need advice for next quad

Kalib perry

at Wayne recommendation i will ad 2 options

option 1 - any mid, full or extra vent sail will do. full vent with a light frame and 50# line will fly like a mid-vent using some footwork. 4-5 days per year you will need that extra-vent.

option 2 - buy any full sail is cheap and make the vents yourself using a soldering iron on any pattern you desire how long you have the same percentage left-right of the sail

• Like 2

Since you're in Grand Haven, how many months out of the year do you plan on flying? Gets pretty cold on the beach in January. I'd say buy the next thing that extends your wind range the most for the conditions that you can tolerate. You know when the cold returns in the fall that those large cold weather systems offer much regular wind, but higher MPH. You can alter the wind range some with lighter frames and adjusting your leader positions, but you can maximize the wind range the most by stepping over the MID and trying to fill back with  a FULL vent, BUT if you don't plan on taking advantage of the higher winds in colder weather, maybe you'd be better off with a mid vent.  Go back and look at your weather almanac for the last year and get an average of the winds while paying attention to the gusts. Gusts suck and break things if you're not careful.

I bought a Freilein Exodus Max because I was curious and liked the look. (and it was I could afford at the time) I've been pretty happy with it so far. The construction appears to be very good. Some things I like more than others and there are obvious changes to cut down on costs like the T fitting to hold the vertical spar, but they compensate with  tape on the sail to protect the vertical from rubbing on the sail. Haven't had any problems with the carbon fiber frame either. I think it's a decent kite for the price. I just flew it last weekend at the beach with 20-23 mph winds. full brake and all the way out on the top leaders and it handled pretty well with minimal flexing. not prime conditions, but I was happy enough flying all day.

• Like 3

I'd definitely back a standard sail with a vented as the second one. A mid vent is a "luxury" and can be a filler later down. Depending on the frame/s that came with the standard B, usually a 2 and a 3 wrap, you could get a 4 in the vented. OR. To get costs down just get a vented B as a "sail only" and use the heavier frame in it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1