KiteLife Forum

First Time Out With Rev

Phil in Ottawa

I finally got my new quad-line kite! I purchased a Revolution Reflex 1.5 RX.

And I'm proud to say it's the special "PG" model named after me! But that's a story for another post.

What I did want to talk about was my first experience flying the kite. I have to admit it's a lot tougher than it looks in the videos done by the experts.

In my defence I have to say that the wind was not the best. It was gusty and would come and go quite quickly which made keeping the kite in the air a real challenge.

And when I did have it in the air, I found I was falling victim to over-control as I had seen talked about so often in instructional videos. I would turn too much and go into a spin and then panic and over-compensate and crash.

The other thing that didn't help is that I was always mixing up my right and left. You'd think it would be easy to remember. Push right thumb to go right, left thumb to go left. But in reality it wasn't so easy for me.

I also think I was not returning my hands to neutral quickly enough. I would start a turn and not pull back on my handle fast enough (and hence starting the spins I talked about above). I'll have to get used to doing the smaller, quicker moves on the handles. And keeping my hands even (i.e., not pulling back on one or the other handle so much). I think more constant wind will help with that.

All that being said though, I can't wait to go back out, in better wind hopefully this time, and try again.

I really wish I had an experienced flyer I could join and learn the ropes from. But unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Ottawa area who flies a Rev. So, if you fly a Rev in the Ottawa area and you are reading this, please reply and let's see if we can get together. I saw an ad for a kite flying festival in town in a couple of weeks where I'm hoping I may run into other Rev flyers. Wish me luck.

Thanks,

Phil

• Like 1

JB has great training videos on here. Watch them. The best advice I ever got was practice with a purpose. I had a set routine of skills to practice first, then I would do whatever I wanted. Often, I would practice skills the last 5-10 minutes of flying to see how the practice was refining my control. I am a solo flyer so I haven't focused on team that much, but it won't hurt to practice those skills next.

• Like 2

Kite festivals generally draw quad flyers, so there is a good chance to run into some there and get some person to person instruction and someone who can check that all things are properly adjusted to make learning as easy as possible.

That said, watch all the beginner videos available to you on this forum again and again until you are sick of watching, and then watch them all again several more times. Regard them as gospel. They are tried and proven and if followed closely will put you in control in a relatively short time. Remember that some folks just click with it but others don't, so you may not progress as quickly as you had expected.

Assuming you have consumed the videos enough times to make you vomit, now comes the part where you go out to fly. Be very selective regarding the wind in which you will be learning. Gusty wind that changes direction a lot or dies and reappears, or is less than 5mph or more than 12mph will only serve to frustrate you. You can't learn anything when the wind won't let you, so don't waste time in garbage wind. Go pursue another of your interests and wait for the good wind. In good wind you should have some basic control over the kite in 5-10 hours of flying. In lousy wind you still won't have it after 40 hours. Patience is everything. Of course, at a festival you can draw on the experience of others in wind that isn't exactly great and still learn.

Before you even attach lines to kite or handles make sure your lines are of equal length. Whichever line is shorter than the others will make the kite want to go in the direction of the part of the kite to which it is attached. You will wonder why the kite wants to turn without you telling it to. If all your lines are different lengths, you don't stand a chance of control. They should all be within 1/4" of each other in length.

Remember to have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Great advice. Especially the part about having fun.

I did check the line lengths before my first attempt and they appeared very even. But I will check them again the next time out to make sure there has been no significant changer. Better safe than sorry.

And I have watched many videos at length. But I continue to do so and I learn something new every time. So good advice there for sure.

And I hope there will be other Rev flyers at the kite day on the 21st. Would be nice to meet others to learn from.

there are some quad flyers in Canada but i think they are closer to Toronto area. i will be at Niagara Fall in september 13-17 somewhere and if you willing to meet there i will give some of my knowledge. i do not know about 21st but is a kite festival on 14 July at Andrew Haydon Park, 3169 Carling Avenue, Napean, Ontario 11- 7 

I agree about the wind, wait for good learning wind. When your kite stops bouncing or taking over control then start expanding your wind range.

Also, clockwise and counter-clockwise may be less confusing as they stay consistent no matter the orientation of your kite. "Right" becomes "left" when inverted. :)

Hitting kite festivals is great advice. Traveling to another flyer- one who is really experienced and likes teaching will feel worth, believe me. Getting good wind and a teacher together can cut your learning curve dramatically. That said you can do it on your own, and learn really well with patience. Just remember:. This is All about consistent well built muscle memory. Check your hand and body position frequently. Set appropriate baby step goals. Remember to breath....breathing normally will really help relax your body and mind in a way that helps.

Don't forget to channel your inner Jedi.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Good stuff!!!

One of the things we learn is not how much it takes to do something, but how little. Ease into those turns. Small corrections to trim and control. Work on keeping the kite "balanced".

If the kite is going to crash - Let it! Do not pull! All that does is drive the sail even harder into the ground. Learn to "Give to the Kite!" Better to go straighten it up, than to find it broken and your day cut short.

14 hours ago, makatakam said:

Also, the first time out with your Rev, dinner and a movie is good. Just remember to leave it in the car or people will think you're weird.

What – leaving the kite in the car? Are you out of your mind?! You can never expect a lasting relationship if you make it feel neglected!

dinner.jpg

• Like 6