KiteLife Forum

Sail loading

kevmort

1 hour ago, kevmort said:

at the same time you give the tug to load the sail do you also relax the brake lines to let the flare out happen ?? 

As I do it and have understood it no. The LE spars/sail should be chosen so that the additional pressure in the sail from your pull bends the LE and changes the sail shape. Releasing the brake lines when loading the sail can cause the trailing edge to flutter

Input first, then load the sail while maintaining the same input. Input next move, load sail while maintaining input. In low-wind flying there is a delay in the timing that will come naturally if you strive to maintain the loading, and each successive time you load the sail.

18 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Input first, then load the sail...

I suspekt that you know this so well so that therefore certain parts are left unexplained. But "input" what (a range of the x-axis, concrete, grass, butter...🤔?)?

11 hours ago, Exult said:

I suspekt that you know this so well so that therefore certain parts are left unexplained. But "input" what (a range of the x-axis, concrete, grass, butter...🤔?)?

That's up to you. What do you want the kite to do? Move forward? Slide? Spin? Input, then load. If you load first, then you lose some of the momentum from the loading if you lose any time before the input. Some would say that it should be simultaneous, but if you fly in low wind you'll notice that a very slight hesitation helps. The amount of hesitation necessary to maintain fluid motion decreases as the strength of the wind increases. If the input has already been enabled when you load the sail it takes effect immediately.

Of course, we're turning kite flying into rocket science here. If you just fly the kite often enough all these things will come to you naturally with time without realizing that it has happened. Sometimes it's better to just fly without trying to wrap your brain around what you are doing.

• Like 2

This is true Makatakam funny thing is today I’m finding myself with my present low mobility having my headphones in listening to my music making up what I could fly to and the moves I can or rather try to do which puts me in the “ flying with purpose “ state I guess

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Took me a surprisingly long time to get to the flying with purpose. I have way to much fun  flying with reckless abandon. 0 to 3  flying with a Pro Dancer has helped a ton. When I get to flying my quad I think what I've learned on that kite will help me understand what the hell you guys are discussing here. I do believe if all I had to fly over(input) was concrete I wouldn't have a kite left.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:53 AM, makatakam said:

If you just fly the kite often enough all these things will come to you naturally with time without realizing that it has happened.

That's the big one.  I don't think "load the sail".  I think "add some oomph", or "bonus wind". 

Effectively it's all the same thing.  A quick tug on your arms can move at 25 mph pretty easily, but only for a moment. A quick step backward can add 3-5 mph easily, perhaps up to 10 mph if you're vigorous in shifting your body back.  The extra motion is brief, but can be substantial.

Whatever you call it, your kite gets a gust of wind.  

On 7/23/2018 at 2:17 PM, Breezin said:

Took me a surprisingly long time to get to the flying with purpose. I have way to much fun  flying with reckless abandon.

Sounds like most things it wears off eventually.

That reminds me of young children who run around the playground wildly without purpose or teens learning to drive who cruise the neighborhood just because they can.

If you need help with a purpose, you might find a list of maneuvers to learn and focus on those top three. Sometimes you'll want to review your entire list, sometimes you'll want to focus on improving a specific skill.  I think of these like forming the individual letters of kites.

When those don't work, spending time building collections of maneuvers that pair well together.  This strings the letters into words. Then you can turn words into bigger phrases of maneuvers.

With that in place, you'll crank the radio and string together kite-words into a beautiful larger expression.

• Like 1

Very well put Frob. Last time grand kids were here it was obvious my lack of discipline was evident in the 2 boys. The girl really wants to succeed on a personal level. She's the one that asks if I do this what will the kite do a lot. The boys are very competitive and emulate my reckless abandon that I have at times. Not easy for me to get them settled into basic moves. The girl is 7 and prefers their Vision over their Addiction. She prefers my Zephyr over my Hydra. They all like the Zephyr best Haven't let those boys fly the Hydra yet  They're as crazy as the Addiction and I'd like to keep the Hydra intact.It'll come but in the beginning I wasn't a very good example for the basics. Except I was having a blast and they all could see that this is going to be FUN, FUN, FUN. We have all concluded that yes indeed it is.