KiteLife Forum

New Kite

Nigel GF

Hi am looking to buy a New stunt Kite, I have been flying a Prism  Quantum for a while now but would like to get another kite, I have been looking at the Prism Hypnotist & the E3 , also the Quantum Pro but that seem a lot of money, interested in other people opinion on this .

Nigel

Once you gain some experience you begin to realize that kites are like everything else. You start with a Chevy Cavalier and it flies and you learn to fly it, but you notice it doesn't perform as well as others. So you trade it in and get a used Mercedes. You can see the difference immediately, but the Corvettes and Ferraris are all still leaving you in their dust. 

The reality is that it takes more labor, better materials and better design to build a Ferrari than a Cavalier, and building them one at a time costs more than mass production. You can buy used to keep the price as low as possible, but a used Ferrari is almost always going to cost more than a "brand-spankin'-new" Cavalier.

Of course, you can try to build the Ferrari yourself. I'm not being a wise-ass here, just saying that you get what you pay for, and this is especially true with kites. Spend as much as won't break your budget. You won't regret it. Also, the kites I like you will probably hate. You may like them later, but right now you'll hate them.

In the end, the best recommendation I can give you is to take your time with acquisition and fly as many "other people's kites" (OPK's) as possible to see which ones talk to you.

• Like 2

I have had the following dual lines deltas:

NTK Diode -- my first. I flew a foil before it, so I was somewhat ready for it, but found I still had things to learn. 

Prism Zephyr -- This started my journey into trying to trick and fly in light wind. 

Prism E3 -- Started looking for the "perfect kite".

Prism E2 -- Still searching. Flew many OPK's also, only to realize that it's me, not the kite, that needs perfection. Gave up the search.

Benson Gemini -- Won it in a raffle. Very complex bridle. Can't fly it worth a darn. Love the design.

Level Seven Stranger -- Won it in a raffle. Totally hate it because I don't have the talent to fly it. Google this one. The name is dead on.

Nirvana N3E -- Won it in a raffle. Low wind princess. I love it. Still did nothing to improve my talent.

I still have the Diode, Gemini, Stranger and N3E. I gave away the E3, didn't like it as much as the E2. The Zephyr and the E2 were stolen. My overall favorite is the N3E that I won in the Karma drawings here on KiteLife. I would not have purchased the Gemini, the Stranger or the N3E as they are pricey and my interest is more quad-line than dual-line. I only fly dual when I get bored. To give you an idea, I haven't flown a dual yet this year, and if I don't it won't upset me. I am not even close to being a capable trickster with a dual, but am quite far beyond the novice stage. The kite only touches the ground when and how I want it to. Got the basics, the advanced stuff is way beyond my capability.

Knowing that, your best bet is to wait for more people to respond. Just remember that with some kites you just won't connect. The best way to find out what you'll like is to try them. Ask. We don't bite. Most folks want you to try them. It makes us feel good. What I'm trying to say is that you don't know what you'll like until you try it.

That's interesting, I also fly Revolution Kites, as being 70 years old is a little bit more relaxing in so respects , but also fly the dual line kites, perhaps I would be better sticking to the Rev's as I do like flying them.

26 minutes ago, Nigel GF said:

That's interesting, I also fly Revolution Kites, as being 70 years old is a little bit more relaxing in so respects , but also fly the dual line kites, perhaps I would be better sticking to the Rev's as I do like flying them.

Fly what you brings you joy. I'm 67 and not as agile as I was ten years ago. Do what you can, but don't be afraid to try something new. I'm retired and on SS, so funds are limited. Haven't purchased a kite in over three years. I can fly my Revs sitting down most of the time if I choose, and I have enough to last the rest of my life. The Karma drawings are a great way to try something new and pass on what you no longer fly to someone who will.

Nigel, what are you looking to do with the kite ? The Quantum is a great kite that will take you very far. What do you feel that you're missing ? What's your flying style ? Being that you're in the UK, I would suggest a Benson Kite. Contact Tim with the answers to these questions, and I'm sure he would build you something you will treasure for the rest of your life !

• Like 1

My intent this summer was to get a Benson Super Fly or Super Nova. Think I want both. Was very close to having the funds and a Lam Tekken sul appeared. Close several more times but some oldie but goodies showed up. Was very close again and Sky Burner is hoping to make some Widow Maker Pros and Solus this fall. On the list. Funds diverted to Solus standard and holding 😁. Now Lam is making the Fearless 2. Many people think the Fearless is the best kite they've flown. I've got 2 of his kites and am struggling to not divert funds to a Fearless 2 light vented. Very pricey but I believe as in a Benson you get more than what you pay for. Got a Rev 1.5 but haven't flown it yet. Kind of afraid to. Like it and I'll have a Polo,Bazzer,Fulcrum ,Djinn , ABS  living in the barn with a stupid grin on my face. For me I want to be a duel line trick master. Solus, a Benson and Fearless 2 are on my short list. Never flown one of Tims kites but I will. 2nd on the Benson. My kites touch the ground a lot cause I push way beyond my abilities. I know I'm getting better because the repairs are less frequent. You would think that higher priced kites would make a person more careful. Nope. They make me try even harder. Love my Ferraris (kites).

• Like 1