KiteLife Forum

Your Hands, Your Kite, Your Turn

riffclown

If you are on the fence about making your own kite, take the dive.. The joy of flying something you created with your own hands has very few parallels in the world of kiting. You've literally taken raw materials be they tails, scraps, discount ripstop or the most expensive fabrics and given them a part of your personality. Sure you can follow a pattern but the materials, color scheme and final result is truly a personal extension of yourself.

My first kites were made with tails from Gomberg.. they were fun to make, fun to fly and a teacher on what and what not to do on so many levels.. I'm still working with the same basic concepts I learned there and with very few exceptions, I'm sewing straight lines. If you have an old sewing machine and the desire to see where your imagination really flies, give it a go. there are plenty of plans of all difficulty linked from the main page http://kitelife.com/tag/kite-plan  as well as over on the kitebuilder forum. Take the plunge, you can still find suitable fabric for as little as $3 a yard as of this posting..

My first 'from scratch" kite "Indigo Sunrise" was made from this fabric and truthfully, it was a blast to create and a personal victory flying it for the first time. Just ask @windpoacher.  I get a true kick out of others flying my creations.

20170901_161308.jpg

I post this not to bring attention to my work but to encourage you to try it. It's well worth the effort. Get some fabric, have a plan, and GO FOR IT!!!

• Like 3

I have to agree.  Take the leap and make a kite.  I've made several kites over the past few years and eacjh one is special in its own way.  I usually make single line kites and applique an image or design on the sail.  I made a quad line kite to go with a specific routine I performed at our local kite festival.  I have several plans on my list to make in the future.  Kite Plan Base (www.kiteplans.org) has old plans, new plans and plans from around the world.  And there are several kite-making workshops during the year. 

GO FOR IT!!  MAKE A KITE!!!!!!

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 3

Sigh this topic is like getting kicked in the butt.Repeatedly. I went for the PFAFF. Used. New one cost more than a Level One Reloaded .
Two weekends ago I was at a Brasington workshop. Most people there had Pfaff sewing machines. Donald Jacob seemed to have the coolest Pfaff. When he was sewing, all I hear was a Zzzzzzz. Whereas my Singer Stylist was more of a chic, chic,chic....

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using KiteLife mobile app