KiteLife Forum

Covering vents in quad kite

CaCondor

Technically you can but Tape attracts dirt AND is heavier then the sail material. You could make covers with Cling wrap and hold in place with smaller bits of tape.

FWIW, a lot of folks want a Mid Vent. you might be able to trade if someone has a full sail and would be interested.

My buddy Dave Ashworth has a quad with 3 vents built into each wing, plus velcro covers to add or remove for each.  Is it as light in weight as a single skinned SUL?  Well no, but after a decent start, you don't need to set-up a bunch of kites for different conditions either.

As the wind increases during the day you just remove another cover.  Want to experiment? Try changing which covers are opened,... how does that effect flight?

A great idea that has been proven effective in variable conditions over decades.  Dave is the master of creating the unobtainium for his personal use.   Eventually he will let one off these masterpieces go during the club's annual holiday party (auctioned item for the benefit of the treasury) and the members of Wings over Washington Kite club fight over 'em.  I have 3, all made from Orcon, A Tirips, (modified Spirit) an indoor rev 1.5 and a blast sized kite which has evolved into the Ashworth Unfair Advantage.  Indoor quad and Super-ultralight outdoors (no wind!)

• Like 1

3M painter's tape will serve the purpose and it leaves no adhesive residue behind to collect dust and dirt if you remove it when you are done flying. If you leave it on for extended periods it may leave some, so remove it when you are done for the day. It is not expensive and each roll will last quite a long time, so it won't break the bank if you use it often, and the amount of weight it adds to the sail is minimal.

• Like 1

Yes! This forum is alive and so helpful.

You have confirmed that covering and uncovering vents is a workable idea that I will put into practice. 3M blue tape will work fine and easily removable.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I just remembered what adults might say to a pesky child when I was young.

"Hey, kid, why don't you go fly a kite?"

• Like 1