KiteLife Forum

50# short line lengths ?

CaCondor

I just bought my first kites. Got a Standard 1.5 Classic and a B-Pro Mid-Vent. These came with handles and 90#, 90 ft. Lines.

I want to get some 50# short lines for closer flying in lighter winds.  Not having flown before, I am wondering what lenght would be good for the 50# lines.

Would 50 ft. Be considered short lines.?I don't think I want to fly on 35 ft. Lines.

What are your favorite 50# short lines?

Everything happens faster on short lines. If you are just starting with quad line kites I would recommend waiting a while before you get shorter lines for two reasons. Learning on short lines is more difficult and will take longer because you have less time/distance to react to what the kite is doing. In other words, the kite does what it wants to and you are nearly powerless to stop it. The other reason I would hold off for a bit before getting shorter lines is that the definition of short is very subjective. You probably don't know at this point what length of short you might prefer. Get out to festivals and try other people's setups to get a better idea of what your preference is as opposed to flying what others find comfortable and/or satisfying. 

3 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

you may use 50# lines on 120 if you use 2 wraps frame on 1.5 if the wind is not harder then 4-5 mph ore on B-Pro mid at 7-10 mph.

at the first sign of medium pull go back to 90# 

I'm not finding 50#/100-120 ft. line sets for sale on line. Where do you get your lines?  I'm not ready to start making my own, yet. : ) I have a feeling I will be flying mostly in low wind situations so the 50# lines will help.

Short lines.
I personally love them.
They are intimate. Yes things happen faster but it doesn't have to be super paced all the time.

I chopped my first set of #90 X 80 feet into 30's and 50ish. I much prefer the 30's!

Short lines allow you to fly in very unique areas. I don't have any #50 quad sets yet, just made use of what I had.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I buy 120 length in 50 pound strength, (Skybond, from Flying Smiles) they get cut down shorter and shorter as they near the end of the life-span.

I don't rotate hand/kite ends or switch out top and bottoms either, I don't use any sleeving and fly on 50# until they sing loudly. (alone) In a group though? I will try to lean the lengths&strengths "my way", but ultimately we all use the same stuff, not everyone is equally equipped or has been doing it as long as the rest of us.

Practice longer than you "show off with" so the kite looks magnetized and you magically in it's control.  Throw and catch on 65 feet most of the time and then use 50' at a festival, or even 45!

I carry probably a dozen sets of handles, all different lengths and strengths. from indoor (50#) 12 to 15 feet, to 135 foot of 50# (precision, no wind ~ secret weapon) and 120 feet of 170# (for when port-potties blow over)

• Like 3

I'd echo makatakam - learn a bit of control and how the kite works, before going short. Once you get sure of yourself, there are lots of choices on length. 

Personally I like 50', close enough to fit in most places, but still has a pretty big window to fly in. I really like them on my Zen. But that is a bigger kite than the 1.5.  30' is another common length, probably the most often used.  I even have 20' and 15' sets for no room flying. Lots of old sets get chopped down to make more. You will see.

Indoors, I fly 10' x 90# by choice. Little extra weight of the 90# helps get the lines out of the way during some tricks.

My set of 50# x 120' were made by me. I bought a spool of 900' and made several sets from that. But do your math before you start chopping!! Figure out the length needed for each set, before you cut!

• Like 2

buy a spool and do it yourself, nobody else will ever care as much as you do!

No sleeving (just another tangle point waiting to make you angry). Make a stopper knot into the single length of line FIRST, then fold the line in half (and keeping that knot centered perfectly) add a doubled overhand figure of eight knot to complete the loop.  Since you are not using sleeving, there's "only shortening, NEVER untying!", so make your loop longer than normal, in case you need to make minor adjustments later for equalizing.

or be lazy (like me) call Cath/Eliot and tell 'em what you're looking for, they've got a whole store full of cool accessories and kites, just needing a generous portion of your money & few minutes of their time to make it happen!

There are eyes screws embedded into the fence rails and painted-off marks along their parking lot parameter, so challenge 'em with funky lengths  <LOL>

A QUOTE to share on the phone: "I'm painting the Sistine Chapel, .... I do NOT clean the stinkin' brushes". Ask for an explanation and hear a great tale

• Like 7