cjay

Precise kite with good tracking for 10+ mph wind.

I am trying to decide what kite to get for higher wind. Like 10-15 mph. I am looking for something that doesn't pull too hard, and tracks really well since I am not really doing tricks at that wind range. It needs to be able to take a beating.

The Widow NG tracks really well, and is a lot more precise than the E2, but I found it too much for my back in that wind range.

The E2 pull was fine, but I don't like it's tracking or precision.

I am considering the HQ Ion as it has a good higher wind rating, but I am not sure if it is good for precision or not.

• Like 1

If you still have the E2, try tipping the nose forward in small increments. I don't know where it was set originally, but this will make it more stable. It will, however, reduce its trickability.

6 hours ago, makatakam said:

If you still have the E2, try tipping the nose forward in small increments. I don't know where it was set originally, but this will make it more stable. It will, however, reduce its trickability.

I just checked the bridle settings and they were set just slightly to the light wind setting from the middle. I think it was set in the middle originally.

I did the 2 standoffs per side mod to the E2, anxious to try it out now.

I might try a Skydog Freebird or Thunderstruck for this application.

With two standoffs on each side you can move their position towards or away from the spine in different increments, either together or individually to change the flight characteristics of the sail.

I laid the E2 on top of the Widow NG and tried to approximate the stand off locations from that. The sail shapes are different and the stand offs aren't exact either. It will be interesting to see how it works.

I am going to punch a few more holes in the reinforced area to give a few more adjustment options.

AHHH don''t punch holes in a E2 unless you really really know what you're doing. Sliding stand offs are cheap to make and won't damage a soon to be classic kite. For 10 to 15 most  3/4 kites will have less pull at 15 than a Widow ng will at 10 mph. My Sky Dog Black Dog has cool graphics, non fancy design, basic 6 mm carbon frame all around, tough and flies like the dickens. Pretty precise for me. I've only flown a Addiction, Jewel, Nighthawk and Cadet in the smaller kites to compare. Black Dog beats them for precision hands down. Inputs need to come more from your wrists on the smaller kites to minimize over steer. You'll trick more on a 3/4 kite too. Won't know why for awhile cause when you yank a line the kites kinda go 🦇💩:big_evil:. They'll hone your reflexes for sure or you won't fly them. Black Dog is the slowest of the ones I've flown. From what you're describing the Sky Dogs might give you excellent bang for the buck. Very pleased with my Sky Dog. Yesterday winds were pretty bumpy between 3 to 12. Went up on the Zephyr and just sucked. Heavy handed day and that kite doesn't do bumpy very well. Put up the Black Dog and had a blast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Breezin said:

AHHH don''t punch holes in a E2 unless you really really know what you're doing. Sliding stand offs are cheap to make and won't damage a soon to be classic kite.

I don't mind modifying the E2, I am not going to get rid of it anyway.

I went to Prism the other day, and they punched a few holes in it for me in the area I wanted. They said to do it in the reinforced area, and do it in between the trailing edge zig zag threads.

5 hours ago, Breezin said:

From what you're describing the Sky Dogs might give you excellent bang for the buck.

I am going to be at the beach in Newport Oregon for a few days flying next week, and Keith at The Kite Company there has the Skydog Thunderstruck, and Freebird in stock. I might buy one just to have. He thinks they would be a good choice for what I am trying to do with it also.

I would like to know if it is capable of doing sharp turns and squares or not.

• Like 1

Very interesting info about the Skydog Breezin. Ended up buying a thunderstruck as a gift for someone that has never flown before. Look forward to taking them out and flying it.

Did some flying at the beach. Had many frustrating attempts and one great session. I learned some lessons.

I learned that I am not that good at judging wind speed. I set up multiple times in light wind and couldn't get the E2 or Widow NG fly. Then I kept trying to fly the Widow NG in too high of wind and broke it a bunch of ways from Sunday.

I learned that the Widow NG seems to have a fairly limited wind range. It is too heavy for a light wind kite, and breaks too easy and pulls too hard for a high wind kite. I think it is about a 5 mph kite. It is also really unstable to forward flying inputs at the edge of the wind window and in a stall, which I am sure is great for tricks but sucks for actual flying in low wind. I might remove the weight and try it. When the wind is right it really is something special to fly!

I know that I need a light wind kite, and also I want a more dedicated precision kite also.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:58 PM, cjay said:

I am trying to decide what kite to get for higher wind. Like 10-15 mph.

I would suggest going to a smaller kite in higher wind conditions. 

It won't pull as hard. It will be faster. Prism Nexus, Premier Osprey or Vision, HQ Bebop or Limbo, Beetle, and like sized kites can be fun in higher wind. ETA* To me, these kites feel like they track really well, especially the Bebop, Limbo and Beetle. 

Add a tail. 50'-100' of plastic tape(I think it's called "flagging" tape. You can get it at a hardware store), can make a nice tail, on the cheap. Just be aware of how much space you have behind your kite.  ETA* The Nexus, Osprey and Vision are my tail pullers.

• Like 1

When it's damp I grab the Black Dog . 1st one I let go but always remembered how smooth it was. Realized pretty quick that I should get another if the price was right.Glad it's back. Didn't have the same experience with my Widow ng. Took a few months but I could fly it in 3 to 4 w/o the weight. Wasn't good enough to trick but got good at window hunting and bouncing the kite practicing ground work.5 to about 14 was sweet for me. 15 up and the pull started my back a whining. Did not have the other issues you describe. Had to replace a couple spreaders but that was on me. LS on my Zephyr,Nighthawk and Hydra all more than once.I'm at a cross roads I wasn't expecting the last couple weeks. Love my Pro Dancer but I got issues that I'm not over coming. Kite is very precise and light on the lines. Not a trick kite and I knew that going in. Jon T also made damn sure I understood that when I ordered it. PD has taught me the most about loading and unloading the sail.The other cool thing is I can practice the set up for tricks that I can then try to complete on the other kites. Problem is that 0 to 3 I am not agile enough to control the kite other than basic moves. That bores the hell out of me real fast. I put the kite into a fade,turtle or pancake and most of the time it floats away on me. Can't back up fast enough to keep tension in the lines. When the winds are 2 plus I'm better off on the Tekken or Zephyr because I'm always trying to trick. This morning winds were 0 to 4 mostly on the lower side. Perfect for the PD but grabbed the Z because of those issues. Going to sell it. Do some research on it. Might be what you need. I am 90% sure I'll get the Solus UL when my turn comes at Sky Burner this fall. Between it the Tekken SUL and the Zephyr UL my low wind will be covered until they're wore out. They are pretty different from each other. The Z has the widest wind range and in low winds is almost methodical in it's moves. Very easy going kite up to 10 or 12. Tekken takes some concentration and timing needs to be more precise. Extremely rewarding  to fly for me. Very agile kite. Stays the same throughout it's wind range.At 100" the Solus should be quite different. Not going to go big bucks on my next 0 plus kite. It'll either be a Kaiju or ITW Echo. Want both sigh. My other issue is my Hydra. Love that kite and it's the kite I've flown the most. I don't think it's construction is conducive to how my flying style is developing. I think it's well made but I am tearing it up. Today my right bridal extension sleeve split from stress. I've repaired and reinforced the battens but keep popping them out. The TE is frayed in several places with the leech line exposed. It's been repaired a couple times. Once by ITW.  Fixed several tears at the center.One major.The issues keep appearing. Do not have the problems with any other kite. It is the shape of the TE not the build quality. Several repairs at the center tee. I push the envelope with this kite all the time.I believe I took to it so well because of my time on the Addiction. Hydra gives me that same go for it feeling. Tons of fun. When I put those 2 kites in the air they seem to start taunting me. Sissy man you can't do that. What's the matter scaredy cat SCARED. Then I have to prove them wrong LOL.I know that sounds a little Psycho  but I got one of those too.Don't want to replace the Hydra but I'm going to have to sooner than later. Don't know what to replace it with that is similar though.Sucks. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kansas Flier said:

I would suggest going to a smaller kite in higher wind conditions. 

I plan to get something like that. I am going to try out the thunderstruck and see if that will fit the bill or not.

21 hours ago, Breezin said:

Going to sell it. Do some research on it. Might be what you need.

I decided not to buy another kite for a few months, I need to practice with what I have more.

I am trying to figure out what light wind kite has good directional control in low wind. Since most people are more interested in how kites trick, it is difficult to get an idea about what to consider for my purpose. I am considering the Silver Fox UL, maybe a Challenger UL, or Skyburner Aura UL if they ever make them again.