KiteLife Forum

XTC 2100 help required

PJP

Hi,

I'm new to dual line kites and I just picked up an vintage XTC 2100 that sat in a closet for a decade unused.  After changing the O-ring sail tensioners and regluing the collars, it's all together, sort of.  There are 6 standoffs on the trailing edge yet only two connectors on the lower spar, so 4 are literally flapping in the wind.  Two of the extra four would be long enough to reach the lower spar if there were connectors on it but the last two are nowhere near long enough to reach.    There is also a 2nd set of leading edge connectors below the main set that appear to be unused.  

Does anyone have any experience with this particular kite?  Does anyone perhaps still have a manual or pics of it assembled?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

IMG_20180827_221302.jpg

Not familiar with that particular kite but from your pic the outermost standoffs would appear to be battens, intended to be plugged into the ‘spare’ standoff connector on the leading edge you mention. Likely with some degree of bowing.

If the middle set doesn’t also have a pocket to slide into as a batten, it may be that the standoff connectors are missing -- the ‘c’ clip or stopper near the end of the lower spreaders look like they are in, or near, the correct spot for it. So you’d need a couple of connectors, one each side of the kite. Perhaps they can be matched to the original if they are marked, but it is not critical to performance that they be exactly the same, as long as they are the right size. (Perhaps aesthetically it might matter…)

Hope that helps a bit. Others more familiar may chime in.

23 minutes ago, Little DAB said:

something looks wrong with the bridle I,d have to pull my out but I don't think it attaches on the tips of leading edge

I was in the process of typing my reply a few minutes ago and posted it but see that your more experienced reply was posted in the interim, good stuff.

On this latter point quoted above, I expect that the line going to the tips is what used to be referred to as a 'trick' line, to help out in some 'old school' manoeuvres. I'd be inclined leave it on for now as the kite is designed with it, but some people were happier without on some kites.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, you pretty much answered all my questions!

And yes, the lower line is the trick line, not the bridle.  I assume it's intended to be stretched tight across the wingtips?

LB - any chance you could shoot me a few pix of your kite?  I'm curious how the trick line is run as mine just has some larksheads around the wing spars. Also, is the angle of attack changed by just retying the bridle line onto one of the other two knots at the end of the bridle?

Thanks again guys, your help is much appreciated!

Paul

The trick line does not need to be tight, just snug. I have one on my Flexifoil Stranger that is that way. It is from the mid '90s. My trick line lays in a nock for the sail tensioner. Trick line first, tensioner second, that way the tensioner holds it down.

Don't retie the bridle - there should be a mark on it indicating "neutral". You should be able to slide your bits up or down, using the mark as an indicator of how far you have moved. Closer to the nose to pull forward, closer to the tail to lean it back.

the length of the upper spar is 21 7/8  like Wayne said the mark on the bridle is silver on mine if I had to guess I would say 3 to 4 inches above crossover knots .let me know if u want pics I can send thru email

D

The only thing I don't like about this kite was the fact that the low part of the leading edge rods r over length for shipping and I hate paying the extra cost for shipping .I know if I stopped crashing it wouldn't cost anything 

You guys are great, you've answered all my questions, thank you!  I'll order a few more connectors and a spar and it'll be ready to go.  Pix not necessary anymore.

I do get what you mean about the length, it is very long to ship and I'm sure 4' spars don't ship cheap.

Thanks again guys,

Paul