KiteLife Forum

Bridle Line Material

PJP

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to use for dual line kite bridles.  All my kites have lines that are around 0.05-0.06" in diameter and are kernmantle type with a core and outer sleeve.

I was thinking they're Dacron but they're crazy stiff and what I see offered on the net as bridle line just looks like limp dacron fishing line. 

Any thoughts on material and brands?

Thanks,

Paul

you probably want "Hi-Test Bridle line",... by LaserPro, that would be my first choice.

it comes with a Dacron cover over the spectra woven fibre center.  It comes in various thicknesses (strengths) as well as various colors.  I have it 100#(spectra w/40# sheath of Dacron), and if your kite is for higher wind ranges (I live in the land of NO wind) it also comes in 170/200# (?) w/dacron overwrap.  Complete over-kill for a quad-lined kite but probably perfect for some hard yanking' Duallie!

The Dacron sheath means you can easily tie and untie the line, whereas you could just use the bare spectra, but now EVERY knot is totally permanent.  Spectra (raw) comes in 50#, 90 or 100# (depending on brand selected), 150#, 170#, 200#, 300#,.. and there are probably some even heavier for traction kiting's needs.  

If you select the raw spectra option, you could "paint the high stress areas" with nail polish, (STIFF) or the "dip vinyl coating" applied to pliers (somewhat flexible) from your favorite home repair center so you can't get shocked working on electrical.

Measure a piece of line (scrap) and make a knot (I recommend the doubled figure of eight knot).  Make a mark on each side of the knot with a fine tipped sharpie.  UNTIE the knot and see how much length of line is used inside that knot.  

Try a doubled overhand knot (it can move after placement on raw spectra, as opposed to the figure of eight, which tightens in both directions,.. it will NOT move).  It also uses less length, in case that matters.  Again paint the knots with nail polish, so they are smoother and don't catch a flying line unexpectedly.

Measure everything and insure both sides are PERFECTLY identical.

Experiment, since you are doing it yourself.  What happens if,......????

Edited by Paul LaMasters
error
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! 

I've tried making bridles from plain braided Spectra before but it doesn't like to hold knots for long, it pretty slippery material.  That's why I was looking for the sheathed material, something with some bite but still adjustable as req'd.  However I've never tried using nail polish to fix it before either, that might help. 

LPG line isn't easy to get in Canada for some reason, doesn't seem anyone stocks it (always the case).  I did find some 1.5mm dia Dacron covered kevlar (SWL 500lb) that might fit the bill that I can bring in.  

Thanks again for your thoughts guys, much appreciated!
Paul

the knots slip on bare spectra because you are selecting the wrong one(s).  Practice the figure of eight, such that you can perfectly position it.  I like to employ a pair of Forceps as an assist.  You can pinch and hold(1), use it as a heat shield (2) when melting to cut line, and also as a measuring tool (3).

An overhand knot can "travel", making positioning easier.  (eventually that is not an advantage, particularly if you are hard flailing type of flier. 

The figure-of-eight needs half of the knot (the loop AWAY from the final resting place) FLIPPED over itself and all of the slack pulled out in one direction (ideally butting against the forceps) PRACTICE IT!!!

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.animatedknots.com/images/figure_8_follow_stopped.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.animatedknots.com/fig8follow/&h=400&w=600&tbnid=KNJVfQl_CEp9mM:&q=figure+of+eight+knot+with+stopper&tbnh=140&tbnw=211&usg=AFrqEzd-cv7jpwI9ukSYOooUv5JULRDL3w&vet=12ahUKEwiWjsXplpfdAhVENd8KHczbDp0Q9QEwAHoECAsQBg..i&docid=0uuJXmRBDPQyAM&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWjsXplpfdAhVENd8KHczbDp0Q9QEwAHoECAsQBg

-plm

Hey Paul,

Yes, I'm very familiar with double figure of eights having spent a lot of time hanging from a climbing rope with just that knot and nasty death between us.  For creating loops, the fig of 8 works well but for attaching bridles to spars, I use a larks head around the connector with a single loop fisherman's knot to make it adjustable.  Works very well, even on slippery rope as the tension tends to jam the knots together.  Still have to be careful about slippage under tension.  Also, I find that 100# spectra is only 1/32"ish in diameter.   I find it kind of dodgy making knots large enough that your sleeved kite lines will attach on securely with a larks head.   That's I think where the sleeved bridle line has the advantage.

Thanks again for the insight!
Paul