Avellinijr

Wind Range??

I’m sorry for creating this topic. I searched for an answer and couldn’t find a specific one. I’m on vacation at the Jersey Shore, winds on the beach are NE16mph. I have a B-Pro STD & FV with me. I’ve never flown my STD above 10mph. Can I fly it in these winds or would it stretch out the sail too much? I have all the rods 2,black race,3&4. I like flying the standard over the FV. The kite’s brand new so I don’t want to do any damage to it. Thx everyone👍🏻

You can fly the standard, but it will help stretch the sail prematurely and will be difficult to control. With time the sail will stretch no matter what wind you fly in, so to fly or not is your choice. I would fly the FV with #3 frame. I think with more experience you will begin to prefer vented over standard. They are much smoother, especially in gusty wind. However, if the wind keeps dropping under 10mph and then going back up in prolonged spells you may find it more convenient to fly the standard and just hug the sides or top of the window when it's blowing strongly.

• Like 1

Thank you both!! 

so to fly or not is your choice. 

I choose to fly! Lol  

im hooked  I went out @ 12am last night bc the winds picked up at that time  lol  

10 minutes ago, makatakam said:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻 Had such a good time. Flew the FV with Black Race really liked how it handled. My 3 wrap was in my other kite and it was too windy for me to be trying to get it out, God knows I had a hard enough time setting up lol. Amazing what difference a steady wind makes. Was able to fly on the last knot on the pro leaders, now I understand why everyone recommends them, such a huge difference from the stock leaders. Anyway just wanted to thank you guys/gals for all your feedback.  

May I make this suggestion: 

Move your race frame to the standard and the 3 wrap to the full vent. Reason: You never know what the winds are like at the bottom of the wind range and I feel the race frame is a little more versatile. You know if the wind is up and a F/V, 3 wrap combo, should work pretty well.  All IMHO!

I tend to use frame/sail combos, rather than frame changes, especially on the beach in windy conditions. I have favorite setups for each sail and will switch sails rather than frames. Just what works for me ....YMMV!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Move your race frame to the standard and the 3 wrap to the full vent. Reason: You never know what the winds are like at the bottom of the wind range and I feel the race frame is a little more versatile. You know if the wind is up and a F/V, 3 wrap combo, should work pretty well.  All IMHO!

Yup! And be nice to that black race frame -- I think it's no longer available. I may be wrong, but the new ones are not the same and I'm sure the veteran flyers will concur.

Old black race frames have only a silver label and say race. Newer race frames have a green band at the top and bottom of the silver label. As was said - not sure if they are being made now, or if everything has shifted to the 5/16" rods (Reflex system).

18 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

I think 1/4 inch is remaining inventory and 5/16's is the future

I hope not. The 1/4" frame is inherently more flexible. I'm hoping that those who make them work more on increasing response rate at the same level of flex, or even increasing both simultaneously.