KiteLife Forum

Wind Range??

Avellinijr

I’m sorry for creating this topic. I searched for an answer and couldn’t find a specific one. I’m on vacation at the Jersey Shore, winds on the beach are NE16mph. I have a B-Pro STD & FV with me. I’ve never flown my STD above 10mph. Can I fly it in these winds or would it stretch out the sail too much? I have all the rods 2,black race,3&4. I like flying the standard over the FV. The kite’s brand new so I don’t want to do any damage to it. Thx everyone👍🏻

You can fly the standard, but it will help stretch the sail prematurely and will be difficult to control. With time the sail will stretch no matter what wind you fly in, so to fly or not is your choice. I would fly the FV with #3 frame. I think with more experience you will begin to prefer vented over standard. They are much smoother, especially in gusty wind. However, if the wind keeps dropping under 10mph and then going back up in prolonged spells you may find it more convenient to fly the standard and just hug the sides or top of the window when it's blowing strongly.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻 Had such a good time. Flew the FV with Black Race really liked how it handled. My 3 wrap was in my other kite and it was too windy for me to be trying to get it out, God knows I had a hard enough time setting up lol. Amazing what difference a steady wind makes. Was able to fly on the last knot on the pro leaders, now I understand why everyone recommends them, such a huge difference from the stock leaders. Anyway just wanted to thank you guys/gals for all your feedback.  

• Like 1

May I make this suggestion: 

Move your race frame to the standard and the 3 wrap to the full vent. Reason: You never know what the winds are like at the bottom of the wind range and I feel the race frame is a little more versatile. You know if the wind is up and a F/V, 3 wrap combo, should work pretty well.  All IMHO!

I tend to use frame/sail combos, rather than frame changes, especially on the beach in windy conditions. I have favorite setups for each sail and will switch sails rather than frames. Just what works for me ....YMMV!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Move your race frame to the standard and the 3 wrap to the full vent. Reason: You never know what the winds are like at the bottom of the wind range and I feel the race frame is a little more versatile. You know if the wind is up and a F/V, 3 wrap combo, should work pretty well.  All IMHO!

Yup! And be nice to that black race frame -- I think it's no longer available. I may be wrong, but the new ones are not the same and I'm sure the veteran flyers will concur.

Old black race frames have only a silver label and say race. Newer race frames have a green band at the top and bottom of the silver label. As was said - not sure if they are being made now, or if everything has shifted to the 5/16" rods (Reflex system).

18 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

I think 1/4 inch is remaining inventory and 5/16's is the future

I hope not. The 1/4" frame is inherently more flexible. I'm hoping that those who make them work more on increasing response rate at the same level of flex, or even increasing both simultaneously.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, Paul LaMasters said:

I think 1/4 inch is remaining inventory and 5/16's is the future

Horrible mistake on Rev's part, but with more and more brands coming up with their own model of sticks in even smaller diameters, Rev rods are becoming less and less relevant... The Phoenix is generally on Skyshark P rods, the Djinn is using Mystic spars, Freilein are using Crystal spars, etc, etc, etc, Rev is slowly slipping into a more exclusive entry-level / intermediate market (which is just as well - they're good at it).

• Like 1

Always enjoy topics about wind range of specific kites.  Also glad to see the discussion of alternate tube choices for Hadziki wings.  There was a time that I feared appropriate tubes would no longer be available & I did not think I could make satisfactory ones on my own.  But now more choices are obviously available & the originals are less important. When I got involved in quad sport wings I was impressed that you could change frames so easily.  That is not so easily done on dualies.  But in reality I am like Wayne, I change kites as the wind conditions warrant.  That is a luxury I did not have when starting out with only a few kites.  Times have changed in that aspect as well.

Just some thoughts from out here in the sticks, SHBKF

• Like 3

On 9/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Avellinijr said:

I like flying the standard over the FV. The kite’s brand new so I don’t want to do any damage to it. Thx everyone👍🏻

Opinion is from duel line flying only. Some days winds here are a rollercoaster. 5 to 20 and repeat. The kite at my skill level that I have the most trouble in those winds uses Sky Shark Black Diamond tubes.Very stiff and the kite powers up real fast. As I'm getting better becoming less of an issue but not by much. Most of the problem is my attitude when flying that kite. Want it to last. The kite that I have the most relaxed flights in those winds is vented with Dynamic framing.More flex, smoother and a lot more predictable in the gusts. Use a lighter lower spreader in winds below 20 and can fly it in 5 mph. Heavier spreader up to 35.I do get the dollars invested in a quad over most duels and the dread of breaking something.  However these 2 are high end. In the duel world none better just different.Out of all my kites the vented cost the most but the one I'm least afraid to take risks with above 15 mph. More forgiving when making mistakes in 15 plus. It's already been said that reframing a duel is a pain. Except for maybe changing spreaders you get another kite. It's always fascinating following the discussions on interchanging quad frames.Very diverse opinions and most times by far no one is wrong.I guess what I'm saying is research what you think you need. Until you take the risks you won't really know what YOU need.Take a deep breath and go for it. If it breaks take another deep breath fix it and fly on. Take this with a grain of salt though.It's from a guy that doesn't know how to fly quads and is on his 4th bottle of c glue in 10 months. Having fun though😁.

Breezin - changing quad frames is extremely simple. Nothing to untie. Just slide out the 3 pieces that make up the LE, put in the new ones, put the caps back on. Changing the verticals is a snap. Some go so far as to completely remove the frame on breakdown. Then they can put in whatever frame they want, given conditions.  It's just that for me (with several kites built for specific wind conditions), it is easier to have favorite sail/frame combos. Then switch sails as conditions change.

• Like 4

It’s pretty well known that I love both dual and quad pretty deeply, but I simply don’t fly duals in anything over 13-14 mph as it’s just not a lot of fun for me and quads fill that entire upper range so nicely... Also flying the Djinn, I’ve not had to do any frame changes at all (like I did on my old quads) since the wind range overlap is so broad and the bridle moderates the “explosive” side of the speed.

• Like 3

"since the wind range overlap is so broad"

Indeed!! 

Here is my experience with it .....

Up at WSIKF one day, John had all 3 versions of the Djinn out for people to try. The std version was always in someone's hands,  so John suggested I try the midvent. I put it up, made a minor adjustment to the top lines and flew a bit. Felt good, but in those light winds, nothing stood out to me as spectacular. After a bit I put it down, told him very nice, and was waiting for the std to come open. Then he says - "Try the full vent." Now I'm skeptical, these winds wouldn't be enough to fly what I use regularly, so I look at him and he says - "Just try it." So I launch it, and am amazed that it can even fly in these winds! Then a strange thing happens - pretty soon I'm leading a line of fliers. Now this may not seem out of the ordinary, as I do this fairly regularly, BUT I"M DOING IT WITH THE FULL VENT!! Any moment, I'm expecting the mid and/or std to run me over!! NOT! Led for quite a bit, put it down, and just shook my head!! Did I just see what I thought I saw??

OVERLAP?  -  INDEED!!

• Like 4

Sorry to keep this post somewhat sidetracked But.... are you saying you feel the full vent has been flown in capable hands in low enough winds to cover the mid to high end of a traditional midvent and also higher than traditional full vents of the past???

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

T in WI if the question is for John or Wayne the discussion is about Dijnn which have more flexibility of the wind range than Revolution. Any way a REV full vent in how you say "capable hands" may cover some wind range of mid-vent and extra-vent.that capable hands must be readed and i think all will agree like "experienced". Most of us will never have the "capable hands" of John but through experience we do good enough    

• Like 2

Personally - I didn't get to fly the Djinn in really high wind, so no opinions there. I did fly a Full Vent in way less wind than I normally would, and it performed great. I was in a line leading with the F/V, with a STD and MID behind me! Any minute I expected either to run me over - never happened! I was duly impressed by its performance! No idea on any frame changes, I flew what was in them at the time. Pretty sure it was whatever comes stock. 

If it gives any frame of reference - I was flying a Phoenix STD or Ashes I believe, when I tried the Djinn.

• Like 3

However, I do have to be somewhat of a wrench in the works here. Just by looking at the Djinn in comparison to the mid and full vent Revs it appears to me that the percentage of venting of overall surface area on the Djinn is less than that of the Rev respectively, per model. More surface area generally equates to more lift. I haven't taken any measurements or done any calculations yet, but that would explain at least some of the perceived effect. What other factors may contribute to this phenomenon is not yet known and may be beyond our understanding and ability to measure.

That said, I hope to try one myself some time.

• Like 1