KiteLife Forum

First flight

khsidekick

IMG_0312.JPG

First flight with a new QPro in a steady 6mph wind went bad. Made a few squares then a few half axles, axles then took it up put it on its back and did a lazy Susan. On the way down went to flare the kite and snap the lower spreader broke and put a hole in the sail. No big deal I got spare pt5’s at home. Got out another new kite, Into The Wind Hydra. Flew it for over an hour beating the snot out of it without issue. What a fun kite to fly and for 112.50 how do you beat it? Ok well maybe a Kymera for the same price. Got home let the kites dry off from a little rain on the beach today and noticed a small hole on the QPro . Fixed it by putting white tape on both sides and wondering how often this will happen with this kite? I’ve only done this to one other kite, the Widow NG. But that happened in 15 plus wind. Spare parts and spare kites keep us flying.

• Like 2

If you want you can send the Q Pro  here. I'll fly it for you at least 3 times a week for a year and keep a log on all the damage occurred ⚰️.Might cost you more sending me spare parts than the project would be worth though LOL.Try to beef up the battans so you don't lose them on the Hydra. Did it when I first got the kite. ITW did the next patch but one is already out. Sitting on the shelf and I can't tell any difference flying without it. Think the issue is more from roll ups than anything else. Cut the sleeving on one extended leader. Did a cheap tape repair but it didn't hold up. Going to put some heat shrink tubing on both leaders to keep it even. If that doesn't work I'll cut them down and keep it going. I have had an absolute blast with my Hydra. Flies lower than stated. For me not very sedate in flight. Always seems eager and wanting to go, go, go. I seem to be wearing it out faster than my others. Think it's me not the kite.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Breezin said:

Try to beef up the battans so you don't lose them on the Hydra. Did it when I first got the kite. ... Think the issue is more from roll ups than anything else

I don't do roll ups, but yet needed to add (rip stop) tape to hold them.

1 hour ago, frob said:

The two are very similar in specs, how differently do they handle?

Much differently, but wouldn't like to be without either one. The Kymera is a great and trickable flyer with a large wind window. The Hydra got a smaller wind window. Little input is required to make it do much trickwise. Pitch sensitive as well - won't get stuck in a turtle. For a beginner the Kymera would be easier to understand. In case I'd be out on an initially low wind day starting with the HQ Shadow, I could then go on with the ITW Kymera, then the ITW Hydra, then HQ Infinity (then a vented QLK).

• Like 2

I was going to go to ITW last week and get a Kymera and Echo. Doo doo happens. 2 weeks ago Paul said they had 40+ blue,10 red and no green. Didn't get the impression prices were going up. Hopefully they're working with De Bakker and something new is on the way. Hydra is the kite that I really started to learn wrist and finger inputs on.I second Exult on the easy inputs. That can be a pain for me at times but the kite recovers from mistakes incredibly well. No matter the kite now because of the Hydra my inputs are much smaller and smoother. Less crashes. Still fun in higher winds to go yankity yank though.Watching JB fly the Kymera and PD flying the Focus Hydra the differences in the kites justifies having both for me. Pretty cool watching them fly knowing the kites were built for their differing styles. One day JB would have the edge. Next day Paul. Then I'd step in with my Mind Trick and blow them both out of the sky(insert as many deflating ego comments as needed here 😰).

• Like 1

I tell what was really cool at the clinic John was calling tricks out and Paul did one after another for several minutes. A couple times Paul said no, and then did the tricks anyways. I hope they put on another duel line clinic next year so I can take my boy again. We learned a ton and continue to improve now. Breezin maybe with the Mind Trick you would have a chance but only if they were flying with kites made of trash bags and coat hangers. We would love to see you show up and one of the clinics or a festival here in the PNW Pacific Northwest.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 11:04 PM, Breezin said:

Cut the sleeving on one extended leader. Did a cheap tape repair but it didn't hold up. Going to put some heat shrink tubing on both leaders to keep it even

Adding a thin protective layer at a strategic point appears to be a very nice fix. Bear in mind though that the bridle line core should not melt. Sacrifice the outermost 1cm of the long extended leaders to test if they can take the heat (unless you know it is spectra and wouldn't like to try). When I applied the heat shrink to a worn B-series bridle the fibres melted (and the bridle line was more or less cut in half on the inside) and I therefore replaced it with a bridle line of another type that could take the heat:

https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/8841-how-much-longer-to-replace-this-bridle/?do=findComment&comment=70924

Spectra melts at 130 - 136 degC or 266F - 277F ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene#Fiber ). For a list of heat shrinking tubes filtered to display a max minimum shrinkage temperature of 115degC or 239F:

https://www.elfa.se/en/cable-wire/heat-shrink-tubing/standard-heat-shrink-tubing/c/cat-DNAV_PL_090803?q=*&filter_Category3=Standard+Heat+Shrink+Tubing&filter_Shrinkage+temperature+min.~~°C=%2B100&filter_Shrinkage+temperature+min.~~°C=%2B115

With a well controlled heat source or rapidly applying the heat in short bursts (an allowing it to cool in between) could help if you would pursue the perhaps challenging task of putting heat shrink tubing on a spectra (core) bridle.

Good luck with your bridle/extended leader fix!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Rather "high" altitude ya got there.........lol!!!

Aha that explains it . All this time I thought it was a bad attitude 😎. Going to try shrinking the tubes with a hair dryer. Low temp tubing hopefully will work.I'd like to keep the extensions. Every kite I have without them has sliced connectors. Yeah I know bad flying technique but what's a poor flyer supposed to do. Tried to get to the fly in NE couple weeks ago. Hopefully I'll get to Pine Bluff this Saturday. Still have a tough time driving long distance (snivel). Trip to ITW does me in for the day. Got plans made for the big fly in Long Beach next year. Think I'd have a blast being part of the ground crew. Doubt I'll have any quad skills by then. These duels seem to take up all my time. Sister is going back to China next month for a 4 year stint. Scrambling to get the cash to go see her off from SeaTac and pick up a new Fearless 2 at the same time LOL. Funny how kites seem to interject themselves into most everything.

• Like 1