KiteLife Forum

two line kite when it makes circles and string tangling

jamesy

Probably a dumb question and its probably been asked a billion times but here we go

When your flying a 2 or 4 string kite (i'm flying 2 strings) and the kite does a full circle in the air to the right .... lets say it does four full circles in the air to the right - this would mean the strings are wound four times in that direction and the way to proceed without causing a huge mess with the strings would be to immediately do four circles in the opposite direction (the left) ..

Is my thinking right here?

• Like 2

No such thing as a dumb question..

To Answer your question.... ----> Exactly. Keep in mind depending on line size/brand/quality.. you will start getting resistance as the wrap count increases.. I usually keep a running tally in my head--> 3right,, 4 left OK  1 right to reset.. I reset my mental count whenever the wraps are clear.

• Like 2

Or, if you must land, spin the handles or the straps in the same direction until the lines are no longer crossed once the kite is on the ground. In time you end up with a good idea in which direction they are crossed without having to think about it. It starts to become second nature with time on the lines. You can also spin your entire body to the left or right around if you want more exercise.

• Like 2

This is why quality line sets are important.

If you're using cheap cotton line you might be limited to four or five twists before the line starts to bind and becomes impossible to fly around seven or eight twists. Cheap nylon lines might get you an additional twist or two, but still bind up tight by ten twists.

High quality line is expensive, but it can twist ten or fifteen times before it begins to bind and become difficult, and 20+ twists before it is a serious problem.

Cotton or nylon dual-line sets are $5, quality synthetic lines are $50+ for dual line, $100+ for quad line.

Stay away from polyester, nylon, or dacron lines for stunt kites. Stick to spectra lines - LPG (Laser Pro Gold), Shanti Speed, or Shanti SkyBond. Andy at Ocean Shores Kites also markets his own brand - (still spectra). Good kite line is expensive because of the material used and the quantity needed. The weave is much tighter in good line, giving you a better connection to the kite. Poor quality lines almost feel like it takes forever to get the kite to do what you asked of it.

Just remember - your lines are the only connection you have to the kite - don't skimp on them!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Stay away from polyester, nylon, or dacron lines for stunt kites.

Totally agree, use the polyester line that came with my HQ Quickstep for other purposes than kiting, because I refuse to let anyone, beginners as well, to be subject to much inferior lines - go Spectra/Dyneema (though the brands I use differs from those commonly mentioned on KL: Climax and Liros). Are nylon and dacron lines even sold as kite lines?

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Just remember - your lines are the only connection you have to the kite

How about emotionally connected? 🙂

4 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Stay away from polyester, nylon, or dacron lines for stunt kites. Stick to spectra lines - LPG (Laser Pro Gold), Shanti Speed, or Shanti SkyBond. Andy at Ocean Shores Kites also markets his own brand - (still spectra). Good kite line is expensive because of the material used and the quantity needed. The weave is much tighter in good line, giving you a better connection to the kite. Poor quality lines almost feel like it takes forever to get the kite to do what you asked of it.

Just remember - your lines are the only connection you have to the kite - don't skimp on them!!

I posted a new thread in reference to your post, I didnt want to take this thread off topic. Some places get upset about such.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:21 PM, jamesy said:

I posted a new thread in reference to your post, I didnt want to take this thread off topic. Some places get upset about such.

Yup, moderators are pretty vicious here . When you screw up it's like getting beat with a rose petal. Doesn't hurt much and you come out smelling okay.

• Like 3

When it comes to wraps (aka twists), I find it becomes kind of like a dance after you get familiar... "A few times this way, a few times the other way", back and forth, until you get kind of a style and rhythm when what you've done one way becomes the set up for a few things the other way, always cycling anywhere from 2-5 wraps (I don't generally put in more than that unless I'm specifically free spinning for the fun of it).

• Like 1