KiteLife Forum

New Project - New Mix

riffclown

Sail is still very oversize at this point but only half the piecework and none of the sewing is done.. Center blue is just scrap to cover the mish-mash. Center will roughly look like the colorizer when done.. Still a long ways to go on this sail but you can see the pattern taking shape.

20180919_202906.jpg

• Like 2

Center panel completed. Larger than the template due to possibility of a longer LE than normal.  This kite may end up with a 96" LE per commission owner.  The panel sewing is done.. waiting to hear back on LE length before I can continue.. At this point 96" 91" or even a 72" are all possible.. Additional trim work will have to be on hold until that decision is made.

The Decision, LE, Edge binding and finishing is all that remains.

20180921_163548.jpg

Thank you..Bag was made from the trim of the center panel and mockup stages. Added a bit of the Challengemax Poly and the bag kind of designed itself.

The actual purchase of this kite has fallen through. (Life Happens) I decided since I had already allowed for it to go with the full 96" LE.. This is several inches bigger than the 1.5 standard but not Zen size either. I'd say it is about a 1.3 size given the way Rev defines their sizing.. The Advantage of additional sail area is enhanced low wind performance.. This will be (hopefully) a very good 1-5mph kite.. Framing in P2X camo  and P4X camo.  I've just completed the LE sleeve and hope to attach it to the sail this afternoon.  Edge Binding will be in blue for this kite.

(FWIW, the reason for this size choice is it allows me to frame the kite without having to cut the spars. Glue 2 Ferrules and the frame is done.) :)

• Like 3

Took yesterday off from kite making. Completed the kite today.. There is one spot I need to tweak sail tension a small bit but it should be quite fixable. This is my first attempt at hidden knots on the verticals,. Will flight test first though.. Will have to wait until the weather clears a bit.

20180924_174431.jpg

• Like 2

A few closeup details of the lower profile attachment points for the vertical spars.. Front and back. Bridles are not trimmed yet due to this being an odd sized kite and I need to tune them a bit.
LowProfileAttachments.thumb.jpg.087cba8dd72901f6fa687ee719d3cea8.jpg

I’ve gone away from using grommets and now use pieces cut from plastic milk jugs. I read about doing that here and it works great. I just put VHB tape on the plastic and then cover with a self adhesive nylon patch and sew around the patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Wayne Dowler

I've only eliminated the bungees at the top of the verticals.. The bottom is still bungeed BUT the knots are concealed.. The top of the verticals is much the same treatment Bazzer uses on the Phoenix sails.. I just use line that makes that connection less elastic and let the elastic at the bottom be the stretch point..  I've started tying the knot at the bottom in a way that allows me to tuck the loose ends into the pocket at the bottom of the sail..  Nothing groundbreaking just a cleaning point.. I also want to clean the endcaps of the LE but haven't tackled that problem yet..

I'm also playing with some variable wing shaping but not springs like the reflex.. more of a targeting shape point with extremely light resistance. Will wait until it works before sharing...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I guess my worry was over the possible wear caused by the bridle rubbing on the TE. In the pix, it looks like the bridle ends up behind the sail, with the cap in that position, and has to rub the TE. Maybe not in real life? Just an optical thing?

A valid point indeed.. I tried to keep it asclose as possible.. I may not know for sure until i see the results of flying it more..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ACrop said:

Wonder if eliminating the flex of the bungee will impact the response at all in gusts?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

I've done a few this way now. It does make a difference in a positive way.   The more solid connection at the top of the sail gives you a bit better connection to the kite. it mimics the top connection of the Phoenix, the Freilein and even the Djinn in making that connection more solid.. It's as stiff as I can make it without using different hardware (like the Freilein and the Djinn)  It also helps decrease catch points for thing like axels.  The advantage for the trailing edge is you can have a larger sail and still use yge same size frame. Just that small change in sail area and aspect ratio enhances the bottom of the kite's wind range. 

As for gustiness, they way I tie my bridles currently cranks up the brakes a LOT.  @jsc2501 said to me when he flew the Gray fade that it's the first sail he's flown that he felt didn't need a french bridle. I asked his opinion on tweaks and improvements and his answer was to not change a thing.

@ACrop   I will concede that all my sails are different  even from each other because I don't use a pattern, but let me know when and you can borrow your choice. I know your flying style and I'd love your opinion.

• 4 weeks later...