KiteLife Forum

Sail tension on a new Hydra (also new Kymera)

frob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John and friends.

I have a beautiful new Kymera and have not flown it yet. I was surprised at the looseness of the upper center of the sail on each side. I assume there is a reason for it and that was designed into the kite - right? What exactly is the theory and behavior of it being that loose? How does it affect the trick ability and flying behavior? I have a lot of good quality dual-line stunt kites and none seem to be that way...

Hi John! Thanks for the kind reply... Yes, I understand it's discontinued and suspected it was for intermediate fliers.

I'm sorry, what does 'channeling' means? Do you mean tracks straighter? How would that looseness affect fades and back tricks in general? It seems the foil of the sail would change a great deal depending whether it's facing you or facing away like in some back tricks, fade, etc.

Do you have any new dual line design coming out soon?

• Like 1

Channeling refers to directing the airflow in the sail, deeper channels (the billow in the sail) affect how the air moves as it hits and leaves the sail.

How does it affect the back tricks? Well, the sail certainly does “give in” when air hits the back, but you tell me how it works... ;)

As for new dual lines, YES, hoping to roll out some new ones under Kite Forge sometime next year - we already have the Kaiju indoor kite with plans in the works for a trickier indoor model and a “true blue” trickable team kite (balance of trick and precision)... Stay tuned. ;)

• Like 2