KiteLife Forum

Kite string claims life of motorcyclist in Lahore, India

CaCondor

I am addng this strange new item.

LAHORE (Dunya News) – A 19-year-old motorcyclist has lost his life after kite twine slit his throat in Lahore today (Saturday).

According to details, victim Bilal was going on bike when the mishap occurred near Bhati area. He was immediately shifted to the hospital where he succumbed to the injuries.

Afterwards, police personnel shifted the body to Mayo Hospital for post mortem.

Earlier, at least 84 persons were arrested during police crackdown against kite flyers in different parts of Lahore. The action was launched on the instructions of DIG operations.

Police also recovered more than 2,000 kites and over 500 spools of kite string from the apprehended persons.

On the other hand, 81 cases were registered at various police stations of the city against kite flyers.  

Recent Articles 

The type of string (Manja) involved in these incidents typically has Glass dust embedded and was used for kite fighting.. The line itself has been banned in many of those countries..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manja_(kite)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37103668

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/17/delhi-india-glass-coated-kite-string-kills-three-people-independence-day

@CaCondorI moved your topic over to  the open topic section since it isn't quad line specific..

• Like 1

I've seen news articles reporting kite fighting line injuries in India for the last 60 years. It is a persistent tradition and the day of the festival is well known throughout the land and a large percentage of the population participates. If you get the same amount of people riding bicycles at once there will probably be as many deaths and injuries, if not more.

• Like 1

The first time I flew my quad at our local beach I didn't know what to expect with the gusts. Some children ran across where my kite was having erratic flight. I was nervous thinking about the 90 lb line I had. They went into the lines but , thank God, no problems. I have learned after that incident.

14 hours ago, CaCondor said:

The first time I flew my quad at our local beach I didn't know what to expect with the gusts. Some children ran across where my kite was having erratic flight. I was nervous thinking about the 90 lb line I had. They went into the lines but , thank God, no problems. I have learned after that incident.

Yes, you have to be super careful, especially around kids. If you've ever gotten a line cut while fishing you understand what damage is possible.