KiteLife Forum

Wind

jamesy

Havent had any wind for the past two weeks where I can fly. Not sure if its just my area or if i need to look into a low wind kite. Some days the weather says 5mph winds but its always in bursts from no wind to a few gusts and its just not enough to fly

Also, higher winds seem to be associated with an upcoming rain storm.

Welcome to inland winds! It is hardly ever what the forecast says. That said - if you can fly in those conditions - you can pretty much fly anywhere! Low wind flying is an art, a skill, only learned by doing. Can it get frustrating? You bet. No fun going out , setting up, and not enough wind  to fly. 

Good equipment helps, or rather the correct equipment. Yes, a light wind kite would work better in the conditions you describe. So will light and/or short lines. But the biggest tool is you! Knowing your gear is part of the battle, but knowing the techniques for low winds is all up to you. And it is only learned by putting your time into it.

• Like 3

Spring and fall usually have the most consistent wind. Hang loose. Fall is almost here. 

As Wayne mentioned. Light wind flying is an acquired taste. You'll hate those days at first, but as you gain experience and skills you'll begin loving it. It takes a lot of learning to get to the point where you can fly when most others are grounded, but the satisfaction is so sweet!

• Like 4

Where are you located? Local winds (generated by heating and cooling of the earth) usually follow a predictable pattern. Pay attention to Beaufort indicators, when and where they occur. I may be able to find you a link to real time wind meter in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/02rDQufH3cbdLViYpClrseKNyeDFxpnOVcmfanVr5cW