KiteLife Forum

memmer57

It is normal. All parts will break eventually from use and abuse. They break most often when you are starting out and are crashing frequently.  They break less often when are skilled and are cautious with your equipment.

Most damage come from crashes, hard non-crash landings, and from dragging along the ground. Sometimes parts will be destroyed on impact. Sometimes they will be damaged but won't completely break until placed under stress. Parts can also break under the stress of high winds, but for beginners that is less common than impact or snag damage.  

Several companies (including HQ) sell the rods, clips, and other necessary parts to repair the kite. It may take some labor to cut rods to the proper length and securely attach them, or they may have an exact replacement part. Sometimes the kite vendors will send a no-cost replacement part for a newly-purchased kite. Contact them and ask.  Otherwise shop around, there are many stores that sell parts for a range of prices.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, frob said:

It is normal. All parts will break eventually from use and abuse. They break most often when you are starting out and are crashing frequently.  They break less often when are skilled and are cautious with your equipment.

Most damage come from crashes, hard non-crash landings, and from dragging along the ground. Sometimes parts will be destroyed on impact. Sometimes they will be damaged but won't completely break until placed under stress. Parts can also break under the stress of high winds, but for beginners that is less common than impact or snag damage.  

Several companies (including HQ) sell the rods, clips, and other necessary parts to repair the kite. It may take some labor to cut rods to the proper length and securely attach them, or they may have an exact replacement part. Sometimes the kite vendors will send a no-cost replacement part for a newly-purchased kite. Contact them and ask.  Otherwise shop around, there are many stores that sell parts for a range of prices.

Is better to buy figerglass or carbon rod?

Crashing is totally normal, I always say that I am better at fixing kites than flying them. I broke a leading edge on a treasured kite my last time out. It happens...

Contact the Kite Shoppe (forum sponsor). I'm sure they can hook you up with the correct replacement. Unless you have a local store, T would be a trustworthy source on the internet.

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com

• Like 2

I believe the Yukon standoffs bow. When bowing away from the kite wrapping the line around that part of the kite will break them. Hitting the ground hard with them bowed out makes them more vulnerable too.Kites like my Black Dog and your Yukon will be more prone to stand off issues. They'll pop out more often also. Sometimes in a failed trick or even a soft crash when the angle is right. If you've been flying them out bow them inwards towards the kite. It won't change the flight enough for you to notice. When replacing glue your end cap but wrap the other end in just enough scotch tape to keep it tight. Keeps from having to replace the standoff connector if and when another one breaks. I use carbon rods. Wrap where you are going to cut with tape. Use a very fine tooth saw or dremel. I use a dremel. Keeps the rods from splintering.Yukon is small, pretty light and pretty fast. Kite is tough enough for you to really hone your skills on ground work. Belly launches, axle landings/takeoffs, tip stand tricks and the like. Sucks when $1.50 worth of parts grounds you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, memmer57 said:

Hi, I'm new at stunt kiting. Two weeks ago I bought a new kite - Yukon II by HQ kites. Today, when I was flying my stand-off ram suddenly broke. Is this thing normal and can I change the ram?

19 hours ago, memmer57 said:

Is better to buy figerglass or carbon rod?

Welcome to this wonderful aspect of kiting!

The original kite uses fiberglass for the standoffs, and I would tend to stick with what the manufacturer specifies if you are trying to bring it back to spec, unless you want to experiment with the effects of modifications. Carbon and fg have different bending qualities. (I suppose if you are stuck you could switch, but do both sides if you do).  There are differing grades of fg, too, so checking with HQ or a kite shop would be useful.

Don't know if you still have your spec sheet, but here is a link to the english version, which states fiberglass.

https://www.invento-webshop.de/hq-lenkdrachen-support/pdf_en/11677630xx_Yukon_II_CSS_en.pdf

If you are replacing a standoff, the sheet says it is of 2mm dia and 210mm long.

For clarification: perhaps a point of nomenclature, but when you say 'ram', do you mean the little fittings that the standoff fits into at either the sail or spreader end?  Those parts can be obtained at the sources referred to elsewhere in this thread.

HQ does a pretty good job on support stuff such as manuals for their kites.  I  see that this spec sheet even shows bridle measurements for goodness sake! Would that it were true of all kites, everywhere ;)

I have the earlier Yukon version (not the Mark II). Fun little kite -- quite capable and sturdy if a little on the small side (and a wee bit speedy). While bendy, the fiberglas they use is super durable generally, and some of the kite parts are hybrid tubes. The kite is rated for both beginner and advanced flyers on that spec sheet, so nice move on your part as you develop.

HTH

• Like 2