KiteLife Forum

New member from Central Oregon

DTill

@DTill Hold off purchasing new. There are other options out there. The Djinn and The Freilein are both good options if you are considering the new market.. Personally, I know of a few kites you mentioned probably coming available on the used market very soon..

The New Revs all have springs which some folk (including me) don't particularly care for. They've also committed to a different size frame and connection points to discourage interchangeability.

• Like 2

Really depends on how soon you want one. If you are willing to shop around, watch the used market, in general wait; or do you want it now? If interchangeability is a concern, most of the available quads other than the new Revs, are open to you. Like Paul and riff have said: the new REV Reflex system is using a different size tube that isn't compatible with all the stuff already out there. And not everyone likes the spring system either. But that is what is offered with every NEW Rev model, if I read their sales literature correctly.

And now there are many other good choices out there. Different prices, color combos, color patterns, and all with good quality. Your suggestion of a B vented makes sense, especially if you are looking to have a matching set. 

So the choice is yours ..............

Most of my kites are used. Some more than others. One had never been never flown.One supposedly once and I believe it. Was watching a Lamia glider. Never had a glider and they look fun. Figured if I got that I'd have the patience to save for a Air One or Lam Hoac 0 wind kite. Yesterday price dropped to what I was hoping. Few minutes later went back and it was gone. I've seen kites sell in as little as 5 minutes. For me it's been worth the effort. It's fun and has inspired me to research kites I'd never heard of.Problem is it changes my kite plans A LOT :big_blowup:.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:04 PM, Breezin said:

Welcome. Wow, kind of terrifying how fast the dark ones have turned you LOL. I've got a UL Rev but haven't learned to fly it yet. I have a Mind Trick vented (30+ mph) and a Delta Hawk speed kite(45+mph) for high winds. Winds here at times get pretty gusty and bumpy. The Mind Trick handles those winds the best out of my kites. Really need to learn the quads and get one of those weird thong looking things. People here sure seems to twist my head in that direction alot.Flown in 35+ but need to feel what 40+ feels like . Yes it scares me :mf_death:. Fun though :devil:.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:29 AM, Paul LaMasters said:

Full vent has interchangeable 1/4" diameter tubes which fit with your existing kite,... that would be the major advantage in my book.

Make certain you acquire 2 wraps or something light PLUS 3 or 4 wraps as something heavy/stiff.  The CLX-150's from Skyshark are popular on the East coast as a light weight tube with good response when returning from flexed.  "Hybrid travel framing" tubes option will also allow a greater level of customization w/o undue\excessive costs. P-90s or P-100s with some 300s at the junctions.  A light weight frame in a full vent is fun to flail around alone as it instantly powers back up with a steady double digit wind speed available.  By like token, you could "frame stiff" and fly that same frame in the full sail for better tracking or flying in a group setting.

The best frames are likely unavailable..... the original Diamond tubes from Revolution & the Green Race w/o the green stripe/tipped label.

The Spider uses a different/larger diameter tube (5/16th's) so that choice would eventually necessitate carrying two different diameters as you can vary stiffness for the local conditions that day.

Fear not, we all started with one kite, it was perfect regardless of the conditions too!  Eventually we go more and more kites until the layers of conditions for which they were appropriate overlapped each other.  I must have six or seven kites just for a dead calm outside.  We get those about 5 months out of the year, indoor conditions but with an unlimited ceiling we call it!

There are lots of choices for 1/4 inch diameter tubes that fit the 1.5 sized platform.  

Paul 

If i bought a reflex spider could  I  use skyshark clx tubes to reframe as a 2-3-4 wrap? Using the 150-250-350 tubes? I only have a  reflex classic full sail now with the 3 wrap frame and built  a p90 frame that I  fly on 50#x50 lines. So I'm not in deep with race frames. Revs website  only  says 5/16s tubes, nothing about id/od. The clx tubes are only 3.50$ a stick, so I could have 3-4 frames pretty cheap. One question, would one only fly a spider on 90# x 90` lines or tie up a set of 150# x 120`lines?

Riff, I had to change out the end-caps for a Rev Zen test, so it could carry the latest Diamond Reflex tubes.....

Yes, make all of 'em match whichever way you choose to go, don't be like me with a big bag of extra crap (in different diameters, lengths, stiffnesses, etc)!

• Like 1