KiteLife Forum

Stunt kite for beginner

Kuba

Hi guys,
I am new to kites and I am looking for cheap stunt kite. I would like spent about 80$. I live in lowlands in Czech Republic (Central Europe). Average wind speed here is 3-4 m/s (2-3 Bft).
I found reseller of HQ kites in Czech Republic and it is no problem for me to buy kite from any European e-shop but ordering kite from US would be difficult because shipping and import fees are quite expensive.

I know I am tight on budget but I hope kites around this price are capable of easy tricks and if I'll outgrow the kite after few months I might spend more but now I'm looking for cheap kite to start with.

Could you please recommend me some kites?

Thanks!

HI, and welcome to the forum. You can buy a better quality kite for the same amount if you get one that is used. It may be more difficult to find but it's worth looking. Get to any kite festival or kite shop you can find. Kite people are friendly and will help you get started. In the end it really doesn't matter which kite you get first, because if you stay with it you will have many more soon. 

Good luck. Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

I've seen the HQ Jive around $80.00 U.S.twice Read a few reviews from europe that thought it was descent for the price. The cheaper HQ kites like Limbo and  Yukon will have inferior lines making learning harder. The HQ Salsa 3 is in your price range also, along with the better dyneema line set. Passion kites in Singapore has a New Tech at your price but I don't know anything about it.Freilein brand is another that's gaining a good reputation world wide. Their Black Jazz has caught my eye and the cheaper Creator looks good from the specs.Some of the other kites being sold direct from China don't look half bad for the price either.The Prism advice to start is sound. I had more to spend when starting so got a more tricky kite than the Quantum, Nexus or Jazz. A few steps up from the Quantum is the Zephyr. Really like mine a lot.Used kite will get you more bang for the buck for sure but be careful.I have 4 high end kites that I got secondhand. Not a bad one out of the  4. Experienced kiters want more fliers more than quick coin. Look to buy used from them. Ask a potential seller if you should use P400 tubes or 8mm fiberglass  rods in the 120mm fighter kite you are building. If they say anything other than don't(or laugh) move on. Me, I'd just hang up the phone on ya thinking you're a prankster 😊. Good luck and stick with it. The first part of this stuff is hard including getting the first kite. Gets even harder as you go BUT the FUN increases 10 times over. Well worth the effort !!:dual:

Thank you guys for warm welcome and for advice. Now I am hesitating between HQ Jive III and Prism Quantum both are little bit above my price range but if they are worth the money I am ok with that. Parameters seems to me very similar (wind range, size) so if you think one is significantly better than other I'll stick with that.

I have no problem with used kite but community in Czech Republic seems to me quite small so it might take a lot of time to get one or to attend kite event.

3 hours ago, Kuba said:

Thank you guys for warm welcome and for advice. Now I am hesitating between HQ Jive III and Prism Quantum both are little bit above my price range but if they are worth the money I am ok with that. Parameters seems to me very similar (wind range, size) so if you think one is significantly better than other I'll stick with that.

I have no problem with used kite but community in Czech Republic seems to me quite small so it might take a lot of time to get one or to attend kite event.

eBay. There should be many for sale. Don't buy one you never heard of. Do research. Avoid the Chinese kites until you know more about kites in general.

Have not flown either but have researched both. Jive seems to be more tricky. Quantum more durable. I got into kiting for the tricks. Don't like it but have done all kite repairs myself except some sewing on my Hydra. My vote is Jive but the Quantum has more U.S. fans I believe. I was at Into the Wind kite shop and a guy with 2 older teens were wanting to buy a kite. ITW has their own line of kites.  Foil and the Quantum were the recommended kites. They left with both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 3:37 PM, chip.lennep said:

I started off on prism dual lines. Not sure if you can get them there or not, but most of them are affordable and you'll be able to fly them for many years. They are also very durable to crashes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using KiteLife mobile app

When you're a beginner, is the most important thing about the kite it's durable and handles crashes well?

That's certainly something you want to consider. As a new pilot, you will have some unexpected, unplanned meetings with Mother Earth. Your kite needs to be robust enough to survive them. On the flip side - it also should have the ability to handle some beginning tricks. That way you don't outgrow it too soon. And that depends on what you expect from your own flying. Are you satisfied with just tooling around the sky or wanting to become a trick master? That should play into your decision......!

As you have read - many favor the Quantum as a good beginner kite. It is strong and can survive the learning curve, plus it does most of the tricks. In a beginner's hands, it does take a decent wind, but light wind flying is not the place to start anyway. No fun trying to keep a kite aloft AND learn how the controls work.

And it comes with decent lines! Some of the cheap stuff comes with crap lines, they stretch while turning and you loose control easily. No matter what you decide - get good lines!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BenKel said:

When you're a beginner, is the most important thing about the kite it's durable and handles crashes well?

It's not necessary, but it will help you spend more time flying instead of time repairing the kite. As everything else in life a compromise of some sort is the best solution. If your physical coordination is very good you can use a less durable kite. If you have trouble walking more than 50 paces without tripping over something, then you'll need a sturdy kite. 

The best solution is to choose wisely the wind in which you fly. If you have the self control to fly in only the middle of the kite's recommended wind range until you have mastered basic control, you will have ideal results and minimal wear and damage. Most people just want to fly and the urge to do so in less than ideal conditions is usually overwhelming. It is the same for experienced flyers, but that is why we carry a bag containing many kites. We have one that is suitable for 95% of the conditions we encounter. If you have only one kite when you are learning you will probably fly when you should not. This is when it will break. But it's ok. We've all done it. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 2:36 AM, BenKel said:

Yeah BUTTTTT. If you want to trick then you are going to need to know how to repair a kite anyhow.Bunch of people here will lead you thru repairs. A lot can build kites so you won't be steered wrong or ignored. Shop in the right place the Prism Hypnotist is $107.00 shipped RTF brand new.$26.00 more than the quantum. Never flown one but reviews say it's more tricky, just about as tough and will fly in lower winds as skills increase.When researching my 1st kite durability became somewhat  irrelevant . Most by far quality standard kites are durable. If tricking is your goal get the best you can justify at the time. I did (Widow ng)and don't regret it at all. Well except I didn't keep it upgrading to the Widow Maker Pro.