KiteLife Forum

XT and HV prototyping...

John Barresi

Now I'm getting excited. What is the difference between the HV and XT ? I've been looking for a long time for something to fill in the 20+mph space in my bag. Not that my full vent can't take it, it just becomes work to fly...

• Like 2

The XT has three "curves" of screening while the HV also screens out the center horizontal panels..  Notice the parts of the HV prototype from @John Barresi's video that look transparent.. The amazing piece of info for me the wind range reported. Looks like excellent low range for a "High Wind" sail..

HV.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RobB said:

OK, let me know if you need any help evaluating the high end wind ranges on these. Last weekend and this weekend we have had winds gusting to ~50mph !

😆

That fellow fliers is the terrible, terrible pull towards that dark, dark place where so many of you dwell 😰.Yesterday winds real gusty and going over 20 mph. Hour of flying and I was gassed. I've slipped a bit. Both feet in. Set of handles will be here in a few days one way or the other.

• Like 1

🔥💥🔥Disclaimer: driver is experienced, kite pilot has 28 years experience in a huge variety of extreme flight situations, this was not done lightly - do NOT try this at home! 🔥💥🔥

The Djinn HV performed pretty much as expected, super smooth and great handling of peak apparent wind speeds in excess of 30-45 mph... Just a little more tweaking and I’ll have a real high wind monster on my hands. 😎

Huge thanks to @Carl Norman for jetting me around the lot today, nothing like going fast in a sexy car while flying a kite - okay, maybe 45mph isn’t that fast but I sure feels like it when facing backward with four lines in your hands. 🤘🤘

• Like 3

WOWSERS that looks like so much fun it should be illegal. WAIT that's Oregon so it probably is 😆. Set of Rev2 handles should be here by Saturday. My kite is UL so I'm assuming it's a 3 wrap. With short handles and 150# x 80' LPC lines I'm hoping i'm good from 3 or 4 to 12 mph to learn on. Might be able to get a good deal on a 1.5 full vent made somewhere between 1998 and 2001. I think what I got is good enough to start but maybe I need another stepping stone before a XT or HV? 

Breezin - if the rods have an Ultralight designation - yes - 3 wrap.

150# lines?? Never needed more than 90/100#, even on a 1.5 x/v. 150# is way overkill and may be too heavy in lighter winds.

Age of manufacture is not as important as overall condition. We use a 1 to 10 scale to rate the condition, 1 being garbage and 10 as close to new as possible. When buying, ask and hope they are honest  in appraisal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Testing process has been good, found I wanted less pull and added yet more venting to both the XT and HV... No videos yet, still ultimately waiting for a solid 35+ mph day to give these a solid pounding.

Flying from a vehicle gives some sense of it, but also makes for bad posture and hand position so the data gets a little confused.

Will update again when I have something worth sharing. ✌️

• Like 1