KiteLife Forum

Turtling šŸ¢

Gladders

I was flying yesterday in winds of naybec12mph. I really struggled to get my kite to turtle - it made it half way there then righted and just carried on. I was flying directly upwards in the middle of the window.

So,Ā  my question is,Ā  is it the distance of the throw forward,Ā  the speed of the throw forward,Ā  or both?Ā Ā 

Ā 

17 minutes ago, ACrop said:

Thanks, I figured it what a dual line term. I sat and tried to imagine what it could refer to for kites and kept seeing the ALS sign for turtle in my head that was not helping. :) It IS my favorite sign language word (of myaybe 10 word vocabulary :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app
Ā 

Ā 

The turtle (or backflip) for dualies results in nose away from the flyer. (The fade is nose towards btw.)

Roy Reedā€™s kite move animations are a wealth of information. Hereā€™s the link to the turtle (or backflip):Ā 

https://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/tricks/turtle.html

ā€¦and the fade (there are a number of ways to get there, and here is one):Ā 

https://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/tricks/fade.html

The American Sign Language sign for turtle IS cute. Especially moving the thumb!Ā 

http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/t/turtle.htm

• Like 1

Before kiting I'veĀ hunted turtles for soup. It's alsoĀ calledĀ turtling. Turtling a kite is much, much more pleasant and enjoyable. The big snapping turtlesĀ are down right dangerous. Not kidding at all!! The only kite I got that I can turtle consistently center window in 15+ winds is my Mind Trick vented. I flyĀ across, get to center, snap stall ,throw both hands forward while stepping forward.Happens fast and hesitation in my next moves results most times in failure. It helps that that kite loves to turtle. Even soĀ it's hard to hold the turtle in high winds.When winds are 20+ in center window the few moves I can pull off on that kite all start with that move. When successful it's the biggest rush I get flying a kite. Failure is a heart in the throat gasp followed by OH NO don't be broken.Under 12 I can now watch and getting a pretty good grasp on what is happening. Allows me to correct mistakes mid trick at times. Above 15 most stuff is split second timing. The fade in higher winds? Well dude you better be good. Failure points the kite straight down. Few weeks ago was on and feeling cocky. Winds were hitting 20+. Came across 3/4 high in the window. Hit center and banged out 2 flic flacs. The 3rd one I lost and drove the Mind Trick into the ground HARD. Upper and lower spreaders went flying in all directions.Kites hardest hit by far. I was sickened thinking of the damage while going to the kite.NOTHING BROKE!!! Shocked (still shocked)I flew for a bit longer. Confidence was a little rocked to say the least. Winds went higher and I quit for the day. Didn't want to test my luck or courage again LOL. Once you get the turtle the fun increases 10 fold.When first starting winds over 12 would be intimidating. I'd have to buck up and go for it. When winds go over 20 I still need to spend some time focusing and gathering myself before I fly. Sometimes I can't and don't fly.I think inĀ higher wind flyingĀ that process won't change for me. No matter how many years I get to do this stuff.In any winds let the nose start tilting forward. Pop launch the kite and go right to the turtle move. It'll start giving you the feel. Leads to some great low and ground based tricks that aren't to hard on your nerves or kite. Great practice when there's not enough wind to keep it in the air. Flapjack that kite!! It's a blast.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, esinger said:

I've seen quads do fades, but not turtles

Ā 

I donā€™t think it looks like a fade in the video. It looks like it ends on its back with the LE being away from the pilot (i.e. a turtle) after a quick tug on on the bottom lines, I think. See if this will trigger a new ā€œis the dress white or blueā€-like discussion ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress ).

my quad fades have the leading edge facing/closer towardsĀ me, with the lines hanging underneath,Ā a turtle is the opposite (facing away,... w/lines over theĀ trailing edge) whatever they are termed

A rising fade is something I've still gotta' work on some more though, HA!!!!!

• Like 1

no video of me, but the master of this technique is Scott Weider, Ā 

It is entered as a half Axel type of movement (which is a "fade" based upon this discussion, if held in position, with leading edge facing theĀ pilot andĀ the flying lines dangling underneath),...

from there (with more practice) This fadeĀ can instantly transition into a "clam-shell roll-up" if done close enough to the ground.

The is video of this but I couldn't find it

Korvo kites builds it. Also some wickedĀ speed kitesĀ šŸ˜³. Korvo has permission to build Wolsing kites. Biggest duels I've ever seen (videos) for you folks looking for big kites.I don't know if you could call some of those big though. MASSIVE might be the better word. Thanks Esinger the KorvoĀ site is a good read.