KiteLife Forum

Diamonds Squared

riffclown

"Welcome to the image in my head."

Introducing Diamonds Squared. This will be a venture into an alternate vented platform for me. Single color for now of Poly. Concept only at the moment.

OK,  Granted, this one is going to take forever to complete as each panel will be individually hemmed, basted and sewn.   Keeping this one flat will be an adventure in itself.

20181114_172912.jpg

• Like 4

THAT is WAY cool.Is the idea to then put a full panel of mesh on each side or to cut out and sew mesh for each vent? If no mesh how would the points attach for strength? Either way the concept is fantastic. Don't recall seeing a picture of Watty's Y kites before. NEAT!! I think one of the neatest looking vents for a duel is on the Challenger Max from OSK. That squared concept on a duel hot knifed in the layout of the Challenger Max would be a "oh my look at that" look.. Be awful small and take a pinstripers touch.

• 2 weeks later...

After careful placement, tacking and sewing, this design seems impossible to keep as flat as I require. Even the smallest of tension variance in the thread gives a significant misalignment . I'll be abandoning this idea for now unless I decide to go with the backing mesh for the squares as suggested by @Breezin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Riff, how about this,.... mount those irregular shapes onto a backer" (piece of solid white fabric) and then back-cut it away later on after completion?

I tried that once. It ended up warping and distorting, and wouldn't lie flat when I removed the backer. I abandoned the project in frustration. I think that a stiff(er) backing might have done the trick. Perhaps using card stock or even construction paper might work.