KiteLife Forum

Out of the blue

Breezin

So I got this 4 line thing coming seemingly right out of the blue (sky ya know). Think it's called a Bev-R series or something like that.Don't have a clue on how to fly it. Does anyone know if there's any info or videos on such a kite? HA, HA, HA I just crack myself up. Think I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this part of the forum too.Oh nuts.Things just all the sudden got kinda dark around here. Fumbling and groping around looking for my wallet . Can't see a thing except kites dancing in front of my eyes 😟.

• Like 1

You see “Out of the blue” is just the beginning then it becomes “and into the black”, i.e. fully into the dark side (well occasionally DLKs then…). “You pay for this but they give you that” must quite literally correspond to your KL-subscription and the B-series you just won. The following two lines “And once you're gone, you can't come back; When you're out of the blue and into the black” is just to emphasize that there is really no way of out of QLKing.

Have you figured out what I’m taking about?: Once more the tune “ƃuno⅄ lᴉǝN ʎq ʎW ʎW 'ʎǝH ʎǝH” has proven to be applicable to kiting. 🙂

• Like 1

It's time for Eddie and The Cruisers. 

Ain't nothin' gonna save you from a love that's blind,
Slip to the dark side and cross that line....

It's time to embrace your destiny -- Ohhh Yeah!

P.S. -- Strange side note: I've been flying Rev's for almost 10 years and never owned a B-Series. Everything else including B-Pros, Masterpieces, SLE's, Supersonics, Customs, 1.0, NYM's, 2.0, SuperBlast 2-4, but no factory B's. Weird!

• Like 1

About a year ago someone said it is futile to resist. It is your destiny. Well dang I guess so. Went to a Breaking Benjamin/Five Finger Death Punch concert with my oldest son last Wednesday. Last night whistling Neil Young tunes.This morning wife, granddaughter and I were singing Eddy Arnold songs. Like kites one must have a variety to "Love the One You're With" 😁. Yesterday the great guitar player Roy Clark joined that great band in the sky ☮️. MAN could that cat play!!!

• Like 1

It's time to start looking for lines. Comes with handles, but no lines I believe. Eighty foot is what comes standard, 120' is what you want for group flying, but 80' will do for goofing around with one or two others. 120' can be cut down into shorter sets as they wear, and gives you a touch more time to react to what the kite is doing. Either would be ok. Get Laser Pro Gold or Shanti Skybond. Don't skimp on the line quality. Cheap lines will cause you much grief.

Roy Clark and Chet Atkins -- my favorite guitarists. Eddy Arnold? I thought I was the only one who listens to that stuff! Welcome to my world.

• Like 1

Overkill but I got 80' x 150# Laser Pro Competition. Old but I think they are in good shape. Will work well for a Djinn Hard Core I hope. You are like a hurricane there's calm in your eye 🎶, wow I gotta stop!! Fly mostly on 100' with either Sky Dog 80# or HQ 130# lines. As I am getting better the switch to my LPG 120' and 125' is getting pretty dramatic.A lot smoother feel.ALWAYS seem to be adjusting my Prism lines and don't use them much anymore. Will be shopping for a spool of the 80# Shanti Speed. Think that will work best for the duels and for now the quads. When I get better Sky Bond for the quads is the plan. That's my thought but it is subject to change 😊.

• Like 1

Be careful to use high quality Spectra lines for the quad. (like the two I mentioned above) Anything less will begin binding up after 3 spins (remember, you're using twice as many strands). Once the lines lock up the kite just keeps going where it was pointed and you can do very little to stop it, and the stronger the wind the worse the effect. That's how you break those expensive carbon frames. All the other accessories can be half-assed, but your lines need to be top notch.

• Like 3

Got a set  of 150# but have yet to use them. LPG comes in 50, 90, 150#. That is mostly used by kiters. I use 50 or 90#, 50# for really light winds and 90# for just about everything else. Skybond comes in 50, 100, and I think 170#, and  I have used the 50 and 100#. Depending on how you fly and where, either will get you up and going. 

Since you will be getting them separate from the kite, 80-85' is a good learning length. If you ever have aspirations of team, then 120' is standard. As was mentioned as 120's wear out, they can be cut down into shorties, like 30' or 50'. But to learn on - stick to the 80's.

One piece of advice on learning - if the kite is  going to crash - LET IT! Resist the instinct to pull! Learn to - Give to the Kite! Step forward and don't pull! All that pulling does is drive the kite harder into the ground. Better to walk down and set it back right, than go down and find it broken. This is one time to RESIST!

• Like 1

I have gotten used to walking back and forth this last year 😣.  Good for the ego LOL.It's taken a while to get comfortable on my 120' and 125' sets.They're LPG and the nicest lines I have. Today winds were 0 to 4 with just a few minutes above 5 mph at times. On the 120' x 50# flying my Tekken sul. It was really comfortable. Tekken is not so good under 2(stated 2 to 12 mph) and spent about a hour out of 3 bouncing on the ground.Quads on 80' x 90# to start does seem the prudent move. The 120' flying with others is a definite goal. Got to try and be good enough for next years mega fly at WSIKF. If not helping out on the ground would be a blast too. You seem happy with OSK lines Wayne. That a good place to start or LPG/Shanti best to start on. Did not know how much more critical the wraps would be on a quad Makatakam. Makes sense now that I have to think about it. Kinda leary of using my older Laser Pro Competition set now.

I am pretty happy with the OSK lines for quads. Still not 100% sure if they are the equal of LPG, but the price is reasonable and they seem to last OK. I did just get some new LPG lines for my new Hydra, but they were on sale and I snatched some up. IMO, you can't go wrong with any of those major brands or the OSK lines to start. I'd just look for any deals, to be honest

15 hours ago, Breezin said:

Kinda leary of using my older Laser Pro Competition set now.

Using them is not a problem as long as you understand the limitations. When you start out on quads occasional uncontrolled spins are inevitable. That's when you learn from experience. If you go in aware of that possibility it is less dramatic and less traumatic. The "I knew that was going to happen" mind-set kicks in and you're not quite as surprised and don't have to hit the panic button. Less unexpected results is a good thing most of the time.

Picked up the Rev today. Spent the day in the city so no flying. Winds are forecast for 5 mph tomorrow for late morning and afternoon. Should be nice winds to start getting a feel. I've spent a year building muscle memory for duels. Going to take a little concentration keeping that at bay.Might need to write on the back one hand"laugh dummy laugh". The other"it's not the kite stupid". Hopefully I won't need to tattoo it LOL.

• Like 1

Well I don't know about this quad stuff still. Line set was awful.Seemed like every unwrap of the winder there was a snarl. 2 hours later then started undoing the mess on the left side of the bridle. 45 minutes later equalizing lines.One was off by more than a foot.No wonder that kite is in just about pristine condition. Couldn't be flown like that. Winds maybe hit 5 mph for a 1/2 hour. Went up for about 3 seconds, veered to the right and soft crashed. Put the B together.Man was it nice everything went together smooth.Well once I figured out (unlike the 1.5 ) the leading edge is a different size 🤯. 4 hours and no air time but hey that's kiting. If it doesn't teach one at least a modicum of patience and self deprecating humor one will quit or go broke buying parts. Winds will be going 20+ the next couple days so no Rev practice. Really like the B series color. Lot nicer up close then in the pictures.

• Like 1

A little line management goes a long way..  Take a look at JB's Line Management and Line Equalizing vids. Launch and Control would also be a good place to start after you have your gear in order.. Never assume everything is "right" or OK just because it came that way.

• Like 1

Definitely look at the line management videos. I used to spend a lot of time untangling lines and was about to say F it and not mess with quads anymore. Watched JB’s videos several times and totally changed the way I roll up and roll out my lines. Not untangling them seemed strange at first but I haven’t had any issues after a little practice.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

9 hours ago, khsidekick said:

about to say F it 

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I too like Fudge but after Turkey Day I've had enough LOL.Wound my lines individually until I get the routine down.  Monday I got invited to join the Mile High Kite Club. Going to be GREAT flying with others.Some are quad fliers and I'll learn a ton. When learning to fly duals I was okay with the damage part of learning.Actually looking back less then I had anticipated.No one sugar coated the learning pains.Think people should have prepared me a little more on how addicting this stuff is though.Don't know how anyone could have done that but still it's kinda rough. DO NOT want to go thru the dang it broke AGAIN quad learning curve very much at all. I got my 1.5 with the mind set that it would be a learning kite. Soon as I got it changed my mind. To nice and to old to bang around. I have a huge sentimental attachment to the B series already. Making it look like my Hydra within its first year would be a awful thing. Yesterday flew in 20 to 25 mph winds. Got into it pretty good but only lasted a hour and a half. Winds went a little higher in the afternoon. Sissied out cause I wanted to fly some today too 😁. Winds will be 25 to 30 this afternoon. Forecast 30 to 45 with gusts to 65 by late evening. Full moon and no clouds would make for one wild night of flying 💃. Have got to learn this quad stuff so I can go all hardcore. Video of JB flying the Djinn in 35 mph is going to be awesome. Hoping when possessed by the spirit of the Djinn it influences me towards the good flying.Dive bombing my unsuspecting Alpacas with it seems kinda evil. Would be REALLY fun though.

The B-Series is the tool of experienced kite flyers. It is intended to be used and abused. Don't be afraid to fly it because you may damage it. There are very many of them out there and should you feel the need you will be able to find a replacement. Break the frame all you want. There are replacement spars everywhere by the ton. Just be nice to the sail and it will last quite a long time. Bridles, bungees and hardware will always be available. If you prefer not to beat on it, get a used EXP or SLE. I've seen lots of them for less than $150 and some down around $100 (no lines or handles). Check with the guys in the club. Someone may have one super cheap. Find one that's already half dead and beat it some more. Kites wear out if you use them.

• Like 1

The only thing to be careful of if you want to extend its life - watch how high a wind you fly it in. I know you like pull, but in this case, too much and the sail stretches and will never return to how it was.

On lines - watch JB's tutorial til you are sick of it - then watch some more! Then when YOU have a method down pat - DON'T CHANGE IT! Do it exactly the same and make it a habit!

• Like 2