KiteLife Forum

Alternative kite/gear bag

SmokeHavel

Which SuperBlast do you have? I assume it's not the 4-8 which definitely wouldn't fit. Measure to be safe, or you can carry it slipped under the handle straps. There are other bags that will work, but not much better than this for the price. Others will chime in to give you some ideas. I have a Revolution carry bag and carry my SuperBlast 2-4 under the straps when I don't leave it sitting at home. The Rev bag will handle up to a Rev Zen or 1.0 nicely, but that's about the max. I just measured my 2-4 and it's 46" -- might make it into a 44" soft bag without getting too ugly.

All my new to me kites are currently en-route in the loving care of the USPS. My Super Blast is an original, from before they termed it a 2-4. The XX is the only new one direct from Lolly, I was smart though and asked to get it framed as a travel frame. I may get the full frame when I get back home in June. I like the bag that Rev offers, just not the price.

7 hours ago, riffclown said:

I didn't know they made such a bag. Then again, I didn't know them made lacrosse/field hockey stick bags either. The lacrosse bag has outer pocket for stuff.

19 minutes ago, SmokeHavel said:

I didn't know they made such a bag. Then again, I didn't know them made lacrosse/field hockey stick bags either. The lacrosse bag has outer pocket for stuff.

one thing I've noticed about many bags with "outer pockets" is even though the closure is external, often the space it accesses is often internal and steals space from the internal part of the bag.  That only becomes an issue when the bag is at, near or beyond capacity on a regular basis.

Another note**  While the Roll-up bags have spaces for Handles, placing handles in all those compartments makes for some pretty bulky storage.. Personally I use a Freilein Dig Bag, a modified HQ Bag, an On Stage Microphone Stand bag and a Hard Case for Trade Show Displays on a regular and rotating basis.. I also have my large orange duffel that holds several of the previously mentioned bags and also fits nicely in the Hard Case.. For my linesets and Handles, I use a Double Ball Bowling Ball bag.. Has space for all my gear as well as pockets I use for camera gear and other important items.. I also use a Nike Soccer Ball bag to hold my power kites.. It literally holds all of them with zero issues.. FWIW, I pack pretty heavy.. Your Mileage WILL Vary.. :)

• Thanks 1

My Rev bag outer pocket gave up the ghost, so I ended up getting an ITW dig bag. Easily holds the 5 kites I use, lines, handles, fix-it kit. I carry a bunch of stuff in my hydration pack, it was built to be a small backpack as well. My concession to age was to get a Wheel-Eze beach cart. Went to Costco and got a folding milk crate. Make up the crate, attach to the cart, load my bag, pop up,  hydration pack, ice chest, and any extra clothing - pull it like a golf cart to where we are on the beach. No more "schlepping" my stuff around!!!!

• Like 2

Brianne's Howard kite bags are custom made, so when you finally know exactly what you want you can order it custom from her.  Price and quality are both excellent!  

Do you want a place to sit down, dry on the bag unfolded, the ability of the bag to be suspended from Rev's pole stakes, what if you only wanted half of it that day, can it be separated, do you want a hard-sided, but still light weight protection item with handles, straps, zippers, clip-on points to tie it down too?  What about an ugly fabric liner to offset the drab appearance of the black outer layer?  Yeah, well I wanted all of that stuff for my stacks of baby Revs!

I bought a bunch of intermediate solutions, all manner of materials and sizes.  I have an into the wind bag for longish kites, an indoor kite case of a plastic expandable map-tube, an Orvis long fishing pole case, a couple of SKB golf club/bags carriers and the mini-rev case/carrier.  It all doesn't go everywhere, but that's why I own a Mini-van, just in case all the case need to be there.

Don't waste money, use old lawn/beach chair bags until you know exactly what is required for you purposes.  It's not just a kite bag, it's your loved ones with you, protected and accessible.  All your best crap in a carrier worthy of that investment!

Brianne's Case.pdf

• Like 2

one thing I've noticed about many bags with "outer pockets" is even though the closure is external, often the space it accesses is often internal and steals space from the internal part of the bag.  That only becomes an issue when the bag is at, near or beyond capacity on a regular basis.
Another note**  While the Roll-up bags have spaces for Handles, placing handles in all those compartments makes for some pretty bulky storage.. Personally I use a Freilein Dig Bag, a modified HQ Bag, an On Stage Microphone Stand bag and a Hard Case for Trade Show Displays on a regular and rotating basis.. I also have my large orange duffel that holds several of the previously mentioned bags and also fits nicely in the Hard Case.. For my linesets and Handles, I use a Double Ball Bowling Ball bag.. Has space for all my gear as well as pockets I use for camera gear and other important items.. I also use a Nike Soccer Ball bag to hold my power kites.. It literally holds all of them with zero issues.. FWIW, I pack pretty heavy.. Your Mileage WILL Vary..
Is "I pack heavy" an understatement?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

I use a regular zip top shoulder bag for handles, lines, stakes, sunscreen, water and snacks. I have an expandable plastic draft tube for the kites. I found fishing tubes to be narrow and $$. It is not the greatest quality, but it has been constantly on the move in my car, planes and even on my bike for 2+ years and held up fine. I think mine is the 5 1/2" diameter one. I fit 4 quads in thier own bags with a bag of extra frames in it nicely. I have swished in 6 quads in there, but wouldn't be a normal thing as it is too tight. They also make a bigger size tube, but as of now one sail of each wind range is enough.

Can't seem to paste a link, but on Amazon the title is:
US Art Supply Large Black Telescoping Drafting Tube - Outside Diameter: 5-1/2 inch, Inside Diameter: 5 inch, Length: 31-5/8 to 53-3/4 inches

For lighter travel/ I have extended the tube a tad and put the basics of lines and handles right in the tube and lost the other bag. I generally travel with the tube and the bag as it keeps me well organized.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Ha! Riff we used to travel with the whole collection too.  Once time my wife had to drive her own car separately 'cause my ride (4-dr Accord) was stuffed totally full, plus the roof rack topped-off, and a hitch for our bikes a'hangin' out the back.  I have owned 3 Honda vans, one after another since 2001 and that very occasion forced our 1st acquisition.

The newest vehicle doesn't have a roof rack 'cause we never used all the crap in twenty years of carrying it.  We used to do themed days of banner displays, just as an example; the best day of our trip got Barbara's Scott Hampton's (30-40 pieces), routinely used Shook Mini Revs (dozen) and Dalmer Ducks (150),. fish (50) and even simulated water surrounding them is another common displayed theme.  Had to have shade, music, power-packs or the generator, a few different lawn chairs, fold-up tables, an easy-up, lunch and a cooler.  What kind of festival doesn't get AT LEAST our club's logo banner stuck up in the air?!!? Why not bring the bag kites and the spot kite dualies too, the bols and the inflatable ground bouncers.  The club has a few full sized Roks and the bride has mini-roks that kids battle with using sewing thread. (it's not about the kids, it's called the mentor's challenge!)

We have more fun driving with less crap along honestly, so we are not ever needing a trailer, <LOL!> and the misses wants to narrow down the entire basement's contents as well, so we can reclaim that room for people's usage instead of mere storage.  I bought my corner townhouse because it had a great shed underneath the deck and walk out basement.  Last year the bride told me we had been "on the road doing this kiting stuff (crap!) for 21 years and she wanted to work on the house".

I probably have twenty kites minimum with me unless I flew to that day's location, then ONLY what fits in the Orvis Case gets to go,... and we might ship some of the misses' display stuff by courier services if she joins me.

An indoor Dave Ashworth, an SUL single skin by Steve Polansky, a full sail & mid-vent by Bazzer, Shook's 40%, two 75%, a 100% and a 135% Shook, a travel framed co-operative builder project Zen (ten kites,.. this is like underwear to me, never leaving home without 'em at least!)

• Like 2