KiteLife Forum

Got a drone to film kiting...

John Barresi

Yep, but the bullet and got myself a Mavic 2 Pro - looking forward to getting some set new angles on kites, lots of sport kite potential with the intelligent flight modes.

https://amzn.to/2S3EYjx

Also, I’m hoping to have 2-3 capable drones up and filming some of the mega flies at WSIKF next year - just imagine this with dozens of kites...

Anyone else here got a high end drone like this? Anyone on the Mavic 2? 

Any experiences to share? :)

I’ve got a dji Spark and love it. Lots to think about when flying a quadcopter. . Take your time to learn the ins and outs of the quadcopter. Wind conditions are a big factor. Battery life. Proper connection from RC to phone to quad. Learn what to do in case of disconnect between devices (don’t panic). RTH ( return to home) button is your friend. Watch for radio wave interference. The list of things to think about before sending it up is huge. I can go on and on but if you have questions don’t hesitate. With all the help you’ve given me over last couple yrs I’m glad to return the favor. Oh and first thing, register yourself with the FAA. it’s only $5 and it’s the law. Speaking of laws, always check to make sure your not flying somewhere illegal.
IMG_2510.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bought the GoPro Hero 6 Karma package.  I considered others, however the versatility for me make it much more usable than a dedicated drone.   I can use just the camera, or use the camera in the Karma gimbal or attach it to the drone.  The biggest downside is the drone, if crashed, can be easily damaged.  The DJI drones have more protection from damage.   The Karma doesn't have obstacle avoidance, where as most other drones do.   The Karma isn't a small as some of the DJI drones, however it's video quality stacks up well even against the latest DJI drones.

When I'm by myself, I use the drone as an aerial tripod.   Just park the drone and fly the kite in front of it.   At festivals I just fly around and try to get cool shots.

Here's one of my favorite videos I made of just using the drone as a tripod

This video I made this month at the Cape Fear Kite Festival.   It starts with me using the GoPro on a gimbal and at the end it's on the drone.

• Like 4

Playing with the Active Track function (locked onto my body - it didn’t want to recognize the kite).

Nothing exceptional, music is only there so it’s not so boring to examine the video - just playing with the drone functions still.

Obviously LOTS yet to learn. :)

• Like 2

Cool John,  I'd suggest just park it and flying in front of it.  You might also have the ability to select a pre-determined flight path with your drone.   So you can make it move between points you've set and just fly in front of those points.

Edit:  I found what I was referring to for DJI.  The feature is called Waypoints