KiteLife Forum

Trick names.

PaoloM

I always wondered where the Jacobs Ladder trick name came from. Someone that remembers Tim Robins 80s horror movie with the same name or...was it inspired by the story on the Bible? 

Where Lazy Susan comes from ? Who was Susan? In what was she lazy? I can kind of guess this one 😉

Axel, obviously from skating...

Turtle..never liked the term, looks more like a Seagull to me, besides turtles don’t fly  🙂 

Fade, I like

who was Taz? And what does his machine do? 

Cometa is funny, because it means kite in Spanish  

i need answers here guys...can’t sleep  

Taz is a whirling little dirvish type dude from Tasmania.Some think he came from King Island, others say Flinders Island.They all agree though that he's a pesky little bugger that will make off with any unattended kite he sees.Most to never be seen again. Legend says he travels the world searching for kites that catch his fancy. Upon his return home he stashes them in a hidden lair somewhere around Cradle Mountain. Many have searched for this mythical stash of kites. Some sadly have never returned.Oddly enough Robert Brassington the world renowned Tasmanian kite builder has never lost a kite to the Taz.This has led some to speculate that Robert himself may indeed be the dreaded Taz.Personally I think Taz just is just Taz. Having a tremendous amount of respect for his fellow countryman I think he's just chosen to leave Robert in peace.Be very wary of the Taz. He is very machine like in his kite acquisitions.

• Like 1

Susan was actually a lady named Susanna from Paris France. At 17 her talents for cooking got her a scholarship to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school. There she honed her skills as a pastry chef. While there she met and fell in love with another student named Jean. Together they learned and dreamed of opening their own bakery which they soon did. Few years later Susanna became sad and morose. All they did was work,work, work. Her passion for her art was fading. Jean didn't notice.He cared for nothing  except his Susanna and baking. When she asked to go have some fun he'd laugh and reply we are having fun.Making pastry is the funnest thing in the world.One afternoon she slipped away to a nearby park. There she saw a group of people flying kites. She was astonished. She had always thought kites were for kids.  From then on she would at times throughout the day go to their shops rooftop to see if there were any kites flying at the park. If so she'd watch till they were done for the day. One day she decided to ask if the fliers would teach her to put up a kite of her own. They were more than happy to oblige.To show her appreciation the next time she brought them each a pudding. They were all absolutely blown away. Best pudding any of them had ever tasted. Soon she was a permanent member of their group. They would set up her kite while she laid out each person's favorite pudding. Although Jean didn't like her absence he quickly realized how rejuvenated she was upon her return to the shop. Like a good man in this type of situation he kept his mouth firmly shut.One day she was asked to go with the group to a beach called Berck-sur-Mer (before the festival) and meet some other fliers. Off she went taking along all the fixings for her puddings. The puddings were a hit and a grand time was had by all. As time passed her friends became better and better fliers. She became a better and better pudding maker.Pretty soon they were traveling all over Europe to all kinds of events. She'd whip up her puddings to share while the others set up her kite.  When done she would sit in a VERY comfortable recliner, sip her flask of brandy,tend her kite while dreaming of what she and Jean would create when she got home. When asked why she didn't sell her puddings at the events.She'd reply no they're for the special fliers who bring me so much joy and contentment. Watching them fly their beautiful creations inspires me. People who didn't understand her relationship with others assumed she was kinda lazy letting other people set up her kite and hanging out in a big soft chair most of the day. Those that DID know jokingly started referring to her as Paresseux Susanna.One year they all went to the Twenterand Festival.That time of year it's very cold and the days are short. Everything went as usual except a couple things.Susanna sipped a little to much brandy and fell asleep. Everyone thought someone else had taken down Susanna's beautiful purple and pink delta. Back at the lodging it was soon realized what had happened. They rushed back to get her but it was to late. There she was head tilted towards the sky, slight smile and her favorite hand crafted line spool clutched in her frozen hands. As the kite was being brought down everyone watched with amazement as the kite fell on it's back and started turning in the most graceful manner anyone had ever seen.Few months later at the Berck-sur- Mer festival a guy walked up to a group of dual line fliers putting their kites on there backs slowly rotating them in a circle. What the heck is that trick he asked in english not knowing French. Couple of the fliers could speak a little english and tried to explain the tribute they were paying to there lost friend Paresseux Susanna.Few months later that fella was at the Basingstoke festival doing the trick. Guy asked what the heck is that called. Lazy Susan, I learned it in France he replied. The name stuck. Time has passed. Jean and the group are getting a little long in the tooth. Jean has hired a young,very industrious couple to do most of the baking. Mostly because they like kites.The group doesn't travel as much. Flying sessions are shorter. More time spent with Jean sipping coffee and enjoying the most exquisite puddings.Took Jean awhile to understand that without the good friends she had and their shared love of kites he would have lost her long before he did. He understands now. Loves them and kites almost as much as her.If in Paris you can find a park that quite often has many kites in the air. Just around the corner is a always crowded little bake shop with a purple and pink delta kite shaped sign out front that says Paresseux Susanna. Walk in and ask if anyone knows how to do a Lazy Susan.Much mirth and friendly laughter will come your way. How foolish you are they'll all say young and old alike. It's not called the Lazy Susan. It's called the PUDDING.

Well I called Erich von Daniken(Chariots of the Gods). Been awhile so conversation took awhile to get around to the Jacobs ladder thing.Mentioning kites relevancy abruptly ended the conversation. He's threatened to block my phone number before. Think this time he might have actually done it.stained-glass-jacob-s-ladder-quilt-pattern.jpgmakes for some real interesting ideas for a kite design.

• 1 month later...