KiteLife Forum

Midnight Blowing Snow (Winter Jacket)

riffclown

A new 1.5 mesh based on the Challenge PolyMax and a touch of Icarex Light Blue scrap. Hoping to make this a higher wind kite. Made my own 1" strips from the poly this time instead of using tails.  I may open the mesh pattern a bit but you get the idea. Playing with some of all I've learned.

You can see a touch of Mesh, A touch of Poly, and a hint of Perspective. Except for the snowflake entire sail will be the Midnight Challenge PolyMax. I'll also be edge binding in the same material. LE will be my normal White.

20181129_173317.jpg

• Like 7

I really like the white leading edge.  After flying the Blue Diamond kite I realized that the white leading edge sort of disappears when the kite is in the sky.  My eye seems to only see the main body of diamonds & darker blue stripes.  The white is close to the brightness of the background sky.  When the kite is inverted parked on the terrain the white then shows up very well.  Your new Midnight Blowing Snow is another amazing product of your powerful kite fab mind.  Wow, you're killin' me, SHBKF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Trying to decide how tight I want the mesh. something really open like this would work but we are talking 15+ mph  minimum to really enjoy it..  My wife has named this kite for my and I think she nailed it.. "Winter Jacket"  'cause the wind goes right through it.

20181130_140826.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, riffclown said:

Trying to decide how tight I want the mesh. something really open like this would work but we are talking 15+ mph  minimum to really enjoy it..  My wife has named this kite for my and I think she nailed it.. "Winter Jacket"  'cause the wind goes right through it.

20181130_140826.jpg

I'm thinking more like 20+ for that to get off the ground. Maybe 25. Might be interesting to leave those "tail" strips attached. You can always cut them off if you don't like them. 

• Like 1

A new 1.5 mesh based on the Challenge PolyMax and a touch of Icarex Light Blue scrap. Hoping to make this a higher wind kite. Made my own 1" strips from the poly this time instead of using tails.  I may open the mesh pattern a bit but you get the idea. Playing with some of all I've learned.
You can see a touch of Mesh, A touch of Poly, and a hint of Perspective. Except for the snowflake entire sail will be the Midnight Challenge PolyMax. I'll also be edge binding in the same material. LE will be my normal White.
20181129_173317.thumb.jpg.28b40da85921ac5c5dd084340f91eaa4.jpg

I've been wanting to make a Vicki but this is giving me new ideas on my next quad build. I like this.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, makatakam said:

I'm thinking more like 20+ for that to get off the ground. Maybe 25. Might be interesting to leave those "tail" strips attached. You can always cut them off if you don't like them. 

Honestly, when it comes to the mesh designs, the low wind range will surprise you every time. Without a screen material to weigh the sail down, you lighten the sail significantly enough to truly drop the bottom number a lot.. A 40%  or 75% Shook can be flown in winds usually reserved for full sails..

• Like 2

If that was a Shook, it would be closer to 200%, I think. I am aware of how low you can take a vented and understand the aerodynamics that cause the phenomenon. Just saying it's a lot of air space. There's a point at which the reduced weight no longer has as much of an effect because of the reduced turbulence on the back of the sail. The effect begins to taper off once the venting exceeds 50% of the sail area, and I believe, without actually doing the math, that you're at between 65% and 75% air space.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, makatakam said:

If that was a Shook, it would be closer to 200%, I think. I am aware of how low you can take a vented and understand the aerodynamics that cause the phenomenon. Just saying it's a lot of air space. There's a point at which the reduced weight no longer has as much of an effect because of the reduced turbulence on the back of the sail. The effect begins to taper off once the venting exceeds 50% of the sail area, and I believe, without actually doing the math, that you're at between 65% and 75% air space.

Agreed and this is my kite for when the others don't want to take anything out of their bag unless they have a Vicki.  I do fly on days where the Full vent or the Freilein Max are still too much kite. This marks the first time I've done anything resembling a normal center panel..

Just nailed down the final look.. Lattices are sewn.. Getting there quickly with this kite.  I'm looking for something between Hyper vent and Vicki and I think this will fit that bill nicely.. If the performance of the kite requires it, I can always fill in a strategic hole or two. I may do that along the verticals anyway just to keep the wear strip from being the sole stress point.

20181201_132653.jpg

• Like 1

I'd usually agree but the darker fabric in the back destroys the effect by overpowering the lighter color.. BAcklit, the snowflake all but vanished.  I'll end up back cutting eventually after the bridles test..

Due to the sail space, I decided to go with a french bridle for this project.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:00 PM, makatakam said:

FWIW, it flies in 8-12mph very well  Black Race Frame and 30' x100# Skybond.

Image11.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image1.jpg

• Like 2

@makatakam  Thank you.. To be honest, this one surprised even me..I was kind of thinking you might be right in the ballpark for the wind range.  Personally,  I was hoping optimistically for something as low as 15MPH minimum but as you can see from the video, it really wasn't sluggish even in the 8-12mph range.

Definitely a keeper.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...