KiteLife Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mutani

Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
I recently wanted to buy a portable compact camera to take pictures during my vacation. Sony is the “go-to” brand for cameras, I personally like Sony RX. Then the problem is coming, as the title indicates, Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?
Thanks for the help.

Update: Thank you very much for your reply, my problem has been solved, I finally decided to buy RX100 IV, I saw an introduction to both in this article. If you are interested, you can take a look.

You got me curious so I read a bit.Go for the 6.It's lens system does away with the need for any filtering additions. If you have to choose between the 3 and 4 go 4. It has the native 4k and it's slow motion is a lot better.All use Zeiss optics. I'm a mid range Vortex , Leupold type buyer. Looked thru friends and families Zeiss binoculars and rifle scopes. Zeiss optics are the best I've ever seen. Should make whatever Sony you choose worth the money.Way out of my league though. My SJCAM SJ7 Star does all I need. Like my Leupolds if something happened I'd be ticked but not broken hearted.Probably should have that same restraint with kites but I don't.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:40 AM, Mutani said:

Then the problem is coming, as the title indicates, Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?

Looking them up quickly on photography comparison sites:

Sensor is different. The IV sensor is slightly better in low light conditions. That's better if you don't have a flash and need to shoot at dusk, but in good light unlikely to matter.

View screen has more pixels on new model. The IV view screen has more dots so it looks prettier, but consumes more batteries. 

Faster continuous shooting on new model, taking a burst of shots can handle a few more images per second.

Higher resolution video in the new camera, from 1080 video to 4K video.

And naturally the newer camera costs more.  There are also the model 5 (V) and 6 (VI).

The features are better than most smart phone cameras, with better glass and a bigger sensor.  Still, the sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm) is much smaller than a full frame (36 x 24 mm) so it gets about 10% of the light captured compared to a full frame. 

Those are only problems if they are the limiting factors. A great photographer can use a terrible camera and still get amazing shots by leveraging all their technical skill. A novice photographer using world-class equipment will still produce novice shots.

Look at what you are shooting, and why. Ask yourself what limits you from getting the photos you want. If you are limited by your skill, a new lens or new body won't help. If you are limited by lighting or camera speed or sensors, you need a better camera body. If you are limited by lens speed, aperture, chromatic issues, lens flares, or focal length, you need a better lens. If one of those cameras satisfies all your needs, go for it.  The major brands of Canon and Nikon are better for the high-end bodies and lenses.  That camera can produce good results for hobby photography.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:46 AM, frob said:

A novice photographer using world-class equipment will still produce novice shots.

A novice flier using world class kites will still produce novice tricks. MUST LEARN TO FLY WITH PURPOSE !!! Err photograph. Sorry it's a kiting thing 😒.

A novice flier using world class kites will still produce novice tricks. MUST LEARN TO FLY WITH PURPOSE !!! Err photograph. Sorry it's a kiting thing .
I disagree. Capable kites produce capable flyers. I didn't really begin to excel until I stepped up to higher end kites.
@

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I've owned (and still do own) some of the higher end quads. I've also owned some that were scraping the barrel for fly-ability. Better kites do open horizons a bit on what I can do with them BUT, the skill to perform those maneuvers is still an absolute required factor.. I don't consider myself an expert flier but I do consider myself a capable one.  Put an inferior kite in the hands of an expert and they may fly it to failure but they will still out perform a novice with the best of gear to a point.  Skill and equipment are both limiting factors. They can either compliment each other or they can offset each other to the point of absurdity.  FWIW, price is not always the determining factor.

Given the same kites the better flier will rule the day.

Given the same skill level, the kites make the difference.

18 hours ago, cerfvoliste said:

I disagree. Capable kites produce capable flyers. I didn't really begin to excel until I stepped up to higher end kites.
@

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Point was I got very capable kites and am still in the novice stages LOL.Knowing one needs a capable kite to excel I got high end kites as fast as I could. Have Skyburner, Sky Sport Design and Blue Moon Kites. These kites will take me far for sure. If I were to compete against pros at this stage of development I would use my Premier Nighthawk. It's quick,very tricky and the easiest kite I have to fake it when all else fails 😜. Flew with a guy that believes his Prism Zephyr once he got to a certain stage held him back. He was flying a Sport Kite Design 7 SUL  in a very capable way to say the least. Love my Zephyr except the mylar LE panels SUCK. When sewing skills are better they will be replaced. Could not agree or disagree with him . Not there yet. I've flown my Zephyr since and don't think it's holding me back at all.As I've gotten better I've noticed I have to adjust  myself to it and the Mongoose more than my others to fly them well.I can bounce from one to the other without much thought until I come to those 2. GOOD thing cause it makes me think.May not ever get the most out of my high end kites.The thought of not having them though makes my mouth go dry, get all sweaty and tears well up in my eyes. So I dream of getting more instead .Tom P and you Cervoliste were the main influences that convinced me my Lam kites would be worth the money. They are.One day I will fly them well :kid_happy:.

• Like 1

I must agree with Breezin. Shooting gold nuggets from a platinum slingshot won't help you hit the target. But I will state that there is a point where a less capable kite will hinder one's progress, but one must first reach that level. If that level is not achieved or not desired, better equipment will only make it less of a challenge and less desirable. In other words, you have to want it to make it happen. Some people are happy doing circles and figure eights, and that's perfectly fine if they are happy with it. The need for more comes from the heart, not the equipment.

• Like 1

There is both. This was a topic about cameras, which I also happen to do a lot with.

For camera equipment, the question to ask is: What is holding you back?  Usually the answer is not gear, it is time behind the camera and time spent studying photos that have been taken.  There are plenty of challenges where a skilled professional photographer is given mediocre equipment or even trashy equipment and asked to produce what they can. The skilled professional can produce great results even on poor quality equipment.  However, if you gave a $20,000 camera rig to a novice the visual quality may be amazing but the composition and other elements will still be novice quality.  

In regard to that specific equipment for @Mutani, they're all good and unlikely to hold the person back. They won't produce the same quality as high-end gear, but none of it is bad equipment.

The same with kites, the question to ask is: What is holding you back?  For people in this forum the answer usually is not gear, most of us have a bag or two with kites for a wide range of conditions. Low wind, high wind, even no wind or indoors, the equipment is there.  Similarly, usually the thing holding us back is more time in the air, and time spent critically reviewing our current results. 

As for ability in this field, there are professionals in kites where I think we could tie a rock to a string and they'd find a way to make it fly gracefully through the air, with just a bit of legwork. 

• Like 4